PDA

View Full Version : how much to budget for a hunting trip?

gaseousclay
December 23, 2010, 11:22 AM
aside from hunting whitetail deer here in state, I thought it'd be great to plan a future elk hunt somewhere out west. I know nothing of accomodations or cost, let alone where to even begin looking. if it's something that isn't terribly expensive i'd like to plan something with my father in-law and his son and maybe a couple of others.

so how do I go about planning an out-of-state hunt? are there any websites out there that have a listing of private land owners that provide accomodations and allow you to hunt on their land? I'd like to get a general idea of cost so I can plan accordingly.

DiscoRacing
December 23, 2010, 11:26 AM
last time me and my boy looked on a site.. not sure which one it was... for a three day guided elk hunt with accomodations and all tags cost, travel there and back... was around $5,000 per person for the two of us.

Doyle
December 23, 2010, 11:48 AM
Elk hunts are very pricey. I don't happen to have a web site handy but one of the more affordable elk hunts I have seen advertised is in Arizona on the indian reservation. The tribe runs the hunts and the success rate looks pretty good. I have seen several hunting shows on TV where they filmed their elk hunts on that reservation.

Kreyzhorse
December 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Even a self guided hunt isn't cheap. We hunt antelope out in Wyoming and a week trip costs us roughly $250 for tags, $400 for lodging for a week, $30 a day meals, $70 per animal for processing and about $360 in gas there and back. Just with rough math that's right around $1,400 per person.

Of course gas and lodging can be split up and you might be able to eat cheaper than $30 a day so that will lower your costs a bit.

A guided hunt is going to be more expensive and elk tags will certainly be more expensive than antelope tags.

I'd suggest looking on line, finding out some guides and start making some calls.

The state game and fish department might be a good place to call as well.

taylorce1
December 23, 2010, 12:29 PM
Look at the price of a guided hunt through a reputable outfitter. Contact a States DOW/DNR they will have a list of licensed guides and outfitters usually both phone numbers and web addresses. Figure out what you’re willing to pay for, if you want a trophy bull taken from private land or do you want a either sex drop camp hunt on public lands. That will vary the costs by a lot. You might have to purchase a landowner voucher which will add greatly to the cost of your elk tag. If you get an OTC or can draw with 0 preference points expect to pay trespass fees if you want to hunt other than public land.

Once you have decided on a couple of outfitters guides get references and call people who have hunted with them. Ask them what the hunter didn't like about the service they provide as well as what they did like. Getting a good elk will usually negate a lot of the bad comments so ask a lot of questions. It would be good for you to write down what exactly you expect from the hunt so you can tailor your questions towards your expectations. Call everyone on the reference list and spend time talking to them if they are able so you can get a good feel for the people you are potentially going to hire.

When you decide on an outfitter or guide make sure your expectations are clearly stated in the contract before you put a deposit down on a hunt. Make sure that you can live up to the expectations of the outfitter as well. Be in shape if you are going to hunt elk, be able to shoot with reasonable skill from many different field positions, keep a good positive mindset hunting elk can be the toughest thing you will ever do.

Remember if you have a good hunt you will need to tip guides, packers, and cooks. Don’t tip if they didn’t do a good job, and this doesn’t mean you have to kill something to tip. If the people working for the outfitters bust their humps and do a good job regardless of if you kill or not they deserve a little extra for their time and effort. Now if you kill that bull of a lifetime tip well up to 20% or more the cost of the service to the guide. If you have any complaints about the hunt don’t wait until it is over to complain, if you don’t think for one minute your getting your money’s worth then voice your opinion to the person/s in charge.

You can plan these things a more than a year out so you will have time to budget the money. Pick a budget and stay within it. Figure on travel, food, lodging, guide/outfitter fees, tips, game processing, and any taxidermy you might want. Plus then there is the hunting gear you’ll need. Your outfitter/guide can supply you with a suggested packing list. Most people buy too much gear for one of these hunts and if you can’t use it at home in your woods to camp or hunt I wouldn’t buy it.

davlandrum
December 23, 2010, 12:44 PM
Echoing Taylorce1 on the reference check. Best advice I have heard about checking references for guides is to either ask the guide or figure it out from the references given - who did not get an animal. If they have good things to say, despite not being successful - it is probably a great outfitter.

Doyle
December 23, 2010, 01:43 PM
I just did a Google search and found an outfitter in the Arizona area that produces more trophy bulls than any other area and he gets right at $3500 for a 7 day fully outfitted hunt.