PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Project coming together

Ultra12
December 20, 2010, 02:49 PM
Few weeks ago I got myself mosin nogant 91/30 1938 tula. Great shape, bought it from a guy in north NY while deer hunting there. it was used as guard duty so stock is not in best shape but barrel is great. after doing some research i realized that there are a couple of ways to mod a mosin. There is a sport stock route- not my cup of tea; make it a sniper version with "ww2" scope mount and PU scope -requires gunsmith work and you end up investing 4 times as much as the gun is worth just to get replica - once again not what i really ready/ want to spend on a 70+ year rifle. ( i intend to get a m39 sniper eventually and recreate original sniper with authentic parts but thats in the future with more funds available) and then there are a cheap and easy mod with either a rear sight scout scope mount or a jmeck scope mount. I didn’t like the way the scout scope looked and dont get as much magnification with scout scope as i would like.
So i went with jemck scout mount. i read nothing but great reviews and decided its a good and not very expensive way to go. my mount is in the mail right now should get it right before Xmas.
So far Mosin nagant $160+ $60 bent bolt by max Shepard (on ebay-btw unbelievable work and lightning fast turn around time) + $80 jmeck scope mount = so far about $300 invested i expect anywhere form $60-$100 for a barska scope. i think at the end of the day i will be roughly $450

You might say its way to much to invest in to rifle that one could buy for $99 but hey the fun of it is worth it and its a great learning experience for a newbie. I will post pics once everything is done and completed.

BTW i went to a range just to shoot it with iron sites. a range officer shot 3 rounds in about 1.5-2 inch group at 100 yards. ( had to make sure its shoots ok before investing money in to mods) once all is done i will be ordering 440 rounds for about $90. i think not bad at all for a 450$ plinker that will shoot 20c rounds.

Iron Man
December 20, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hey, it's your gun, spend all you want on it and enjoy. I have a GSG-5 pistol that I turned into a SBR (and paid for the tax stamp) and it has all kinds of gear hanging off it. I have $1,000.00+ in a .22 pistol! I love it!

Ultra12
December 20, 2010, 02:57 PM
almost forgot i am also looking for burlap fabric to wrap around the gun to make it look like something russians used to do to their sniper rifles. besides a cool look it will hide some stock imperfactions. any tips would be apreciated.

Sgt.Saputo
December 20, 2010, 03:06 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-swiss-military-burlap-game-bag-brown.aspx?a=680148

You could buy a few of these and cut them however you need. You could also dye them if you want a different color, I think green would look great.

Ultra12
December 20, 2010, 03:23 PM
thanks Sgt.Saputo. i got a local supermarket that sells coffee beans. they bring them in in big burlap bags. i guess i can always get one from there hopefully cheaper than $14.95 i am interested in how one would put it on a gun.

savage1r
December 20, 2010, 03:27 PM
Awesome project! Good source for burlap sacks is from basmati ricebags from Costco.

Ultra12
December 21, 2010, 12:40 AM
savage i owe it partly to you. you provided feedback and instructional video. thanks

savage1r
December 21, 2010, 02:15 AM
Thank jmeck, he's the guy coming up with those mounts. He's got one in dev now that's a sidesaddle design I'm looking forward to seeing. Be sure to post pics.

Ultra12
January 5, 2011, 10:31 PM
well its done. what do you guys think? Vasily Zaytsev would be proud

stolivar
January 6, 2011, 12:03 AM
what the heck are these. never heard of them. can't find them with a search on the web either

steve

Ultra12
January 6, 2011, 09:11 AM
Perhaps if u searched for jmeck u will have more luck

kx592
January 6, 2011, 09:45 AM
Nice job man. I just bought one of the 91-30s a few weeks back. How can someone not love these things, cheap, shoots cheap, shoot accurate.

While on topic, do you guys think these will be worth anything in the future for good conditions ones?

savage1r
January 6, 2011, 12:59 PM
My name is savage1r and I approve of this rifle.

Ultra12
January 6, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thank you Savage1r

Ultra12
January 7, 2011, 07:40 PM
went to a range today. sighted in at 50 and then at 100.
Bellow is a shot at 50.
It shoots better than expected and is a pleasure to shoot.

savage1r
January 7, 2011, 09:56 PM
Jealous.