PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1300 Defender

hardhat harry
December 12, 2010, 10:06 AM
This poor old gun wants an ungrade. Is it possible to drill and tap the receiver top to install a 1913 rail?

madmag
December 12, 2010, 04:21 PM
I own a 1300 but have never had the receiver drilled & tapped.

The main issue is it is aluminum. Good grades of aluminum can be tapped and hold, but it's not normally recommend. The best with aluminum is to use a heli-coil steel insert. Then you can hold about the same as with steel.

Having said that, it would be up to a gun smith to give you the final answer.

PS. I will get my 1300 out and take a look just to see how it could be tapped.

bj426
December 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
I'm 99% sure it can be done. I nearly purchased one a while back but decided on a "turkey" model since it was only a few inches longer came drilled and tapped and had the winchoke system. There are also deer hunter -slug gun models that are drilled and tapped.

Another option may be getting a barrel that has a cantelevered scope mount on it...

IMHO the 1300 is a FANTASTIC pump.... everything else seems labor intensive and deliberate to pump.

hardhat harry
December 12, 2010, 05:44 PM
This 1300 Defender I have is the factory issued w/o stock, pistol grip only. I only want to add a laser for the heck of it. With the extended tube, I do not think a clamp-on mount for a laser will work.

Like I said..just playing with it...hopefully will never have to use it for its' intended purpose...although I did shoot clay pigeons with it in Arizona!! A new sport...clays without a stock!!!