PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into (or out of) a Savage 10 FCP-K

Delaware_Dan
December 8, 2010, 04:16 PM
So I've had the itch to buy something new lately, and my handgun bases are covered. That leads me to rifles, and I'm not ready for the money pit that an AR-15 will likely become. After doing the research for the past couple of weeks, I think I have it narrowed down to the Savage 10 FCP-K in .308. Accustock, Accutrigger, removable muzzle break, and fluted barrel all for about $770. I think it's a pretty good deal considering. What do you guys think?

taylorce1
December 8, 2010, 04:57 PM
DD,

What is your experience shooting rifles? Looked at the topics of some of your previous posts and didn't see much about rifles. Savage 10 is a good place to start but if you don't have much experience I would probably look at a good .223 or .22-250 as a starter rifle first.

nathaniel
December 8, 2010, 05:17 PM
You wont be dissapointed thats for sure.

Delaware_Dan
December 9, 2010, 12:20 PM
DD,

What is your experience shooting rifles? Looked at the topics of some of your previous posts and didn't see much about rifles. Savage 10 is a good place to start but if you don't have much experience I would probably look at a good .223 or .22-250 as a starter rifle first.

My semi auto rifle experience is decent. I have about 12k+ through my Saiga 7.62x39, a bunch of bricks through a 10/22, and some 30.06 and AR trigger time, but my high power bolt action experience is absolutely squat. I'm good with a rifle, and I think with the new recoil pad, and the muzzle brake I will transition from Saiga just fine. I have read nothing but great stuff about this rifle, and I think out of the box (from what I have read) it's one of the best deals out there with out building a custom gun. Just seeing what people think.

Flatbush Harry
December 9, 2010, 01:23 PM
I'm a big Savage fan (I own a 116 FHSAK) and have considered the FCP-K for some time. It's a good choice for a .308 though a .223 may be a better starting point given your HP rifle experience that you note.

FH

precision_shooter
December 9, 2010, 02:08 PM
I keep seeing people suggest a lighter recoiling round than the .308. I think everyone is forgetting that the 10 FCP-K has a muzzle brake. It will feel about like a .223.

Every Savage I have shot has been a tack-driver. I say go for it! You won't be dissapointed.

taylorce1
December 9, 2010, 02:29 PM
I keep seeing people suggest a lighter recoiling round than the .308. I think everyone is forgetting that the 10 FCP-K has a muzzle brake. It will feel about like a .223.

Sometimes it isn't just about recoil sometimes it is about price. Just go look at ammunition sometime, .223 for Remington ammo runs $10-28 a box of 20, .22-250 runs abour $15-25, and .308 runs $19-45. I compared ammuntion prices on Midway USA and only used Remington brand ammunition, others were cheaper but I picked ammo you can walk into Wal-Mart on a daily basis and buy.

The .223 offers less expense overall vs. the .308. Even braked the .308 will still have recoil more than the .223 and be a lot louder, which means fatigue will set in sooner and it can't be shot as much in one session. Simply put more rounds down range will make the OP a better shooter in the long run and the .308 can't hang with the .223 in the affordability catagory.

I'll throw out the .223 as first choice over the .308 any day for a guy stating out shooting rifles because of more reasons than just recoil.

deadcoyote
December 9, 2010, 02:50 PM
I had a 10FP 308 (pre accustock) that was an absolute tack driver. After getting tired of carrying a long bull barreled target rifle hunting i switched to a 10 FCM. I absolutley love it. Even with a 7x EER scope I shoot sub-moa to 200 easily. They're great rifles, and if you're lazy like me its nice to buy something that runs perfect right out of the box and doesn't require tinkering.

nathaniel
December 9, 2010, 03:26 PM
Even braked the .308 will still have recoil more than the .223 and be a lot louder

Louder yes but my Savage 10FCP in 308 has about an inch thick recoil pad on it, you cant feel it. My 6 year old sister loves to shoot it, she cant carry it but she sure can shoot it.

Now the way it sounds the OP already has a 7.62x39 so why downstep to a .223? Some through a 30-06 which leads me to believe they dont actually own it (just assuming the OP would have to verify that) so why not get a gun that they COULD use for big game hunting if they wanted to? Not lashing out at anyone but he said he wanted a 308, "not help me decide between 308 and 223".

Delaware_Dan
December 10, 2010, 12:08 PM
I have considered the .223, but I would rather have an AR if I go the .223 route. The 30.06 is my Dads gun, and I can shoot that well. It beats me up a bit, but it dosn't have a recoil pad. I have my heart set on the .308 mainly because I can shoot farther with it if I ever want to. Thanks for all the replies, I'm just looking for insight on this rifle. I think with all features considered, and the out of the box accuracy it's a steal. If there are other models that I overlooked that have similar features, I am open to hear them.

Also, I am not worried about ammo price. I think I'm going to start reloading.

gman3
December 10, 2010, 10:42 PM
You will like the rifle and you will find it to be very accurate. Here is my 12 year old nephew shooting 12 ga hulls at 100 meters. He didn't seem to have an issue with the recoil and he weighs about 100 pounds. Rifle is 10 FCP HS Precision with Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 mm.

Dougw47
December 10, 2010, 11:34 PM
...put it back to look at a Winchester...the guy behind me Bought it on the spot. Good rifles don't sit around long this time of year.

zuludon
December 11, 2010, 12:25 AM
while looking over used and new rifles in Cabela's i ran across a new Savage rifle i had not seen before. It was Savage Arms Tactical Rifle-choate Stock.Once it was in my hands i knew i wood not i return it to the rack,the only problem i had no time to do the paper work as i needed to get to work.I put it on layaway.I don't think i have slept more than 10 hr this week!I give up and i will go get it in the morning. I have been shooting savage rifles for 50 of my 56 years ,but i think i saw my 112-223- VBH giving me a dirty look. you are not going to disappointed with your savage or 308 cal:cool: