PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Tech Assault Sniper Rifle

Trigger Finger
December 7, 2010, 04:57 PM
Has anyone seen this CONCEPT for a new rifle. I like how the barrel, stock and scope retract. It looks like it could be 338 Lapua caliber.
Click on Animation!!

http://www.jamiemartindesign.co.uk/Assault_Sniper_Rifle.html

It would be nice if they really built one of these! :D

10mmAuto
December 7, 2010, 05:25 PM
Pretty sure this isn't even a concept, just a graphic designer showing off his skills.

bedlamite
December 7, 2010, 07:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhron05s1Ng

The telescopic barrel was a nice touch :rolleyes:

full.tang.halo
December 7, 2010, 07:36 PM
The telescopic barrel was a nice touch

I think it is supposed to be for swappable barrel lengths, they just only showed it sliding out. Otherwise there is no manner of modern firearm technology that could make that work.

nathaniel
December 7, 2010, 08:09 PM
Someones trying to get views on thier youtube video.

BitterTait
December 7, 2010, 09:35 PM
Someone with a degree in 3D design thinks that by pretending his ideas are in production he'll get his name out there more. Look at some of his other designs, such as the sentry robot with a "solid plasma compact weapons system" that leaves minimal cleanup, or the crab bot that is slated to be released in 2012 by Omni consumer products (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Consumer_Products_%28RoboCop%29). Points for pretty, none for engineering.

Even odds the gun will be in the next Call of Duty though.

TPAW
December 7, 2010, 10:16 PM
Not into those Flash Gordon type designs. I'm stuck on traditional looking firearms. JMO ;)

csmsss
December 7, 2010, 10:37 PM
One look at that disaster tells you the designer knows nothing of rifles.

kraigwy
December 7, 2010, 11:02 PM
Not impressed:

The sucker has censers that measures wind. OK, so if it works, it'll tell you the velocity of the wind at the gun (assuming heat from the barrel doesn't interfere).

But, what about wind between the shooter and the target. One of the first things I do in conducting a sniper school or any long range shooting, it to pop smoke at different yard lines showing that the wind may or may not be the same at the firing line and the target, or points between.

It amazes me people think they can gimmick their way to good shooting. Take a look at the scores fired at the CMP Vintage Sniper Rifle Matches. Compare them with what is fired with modern rifles. You'll see, its not the gun, its the shooter.

I think one would be better learning to read mirage then depend on some gizmo to do your thinking for you.

Awful lot of stuff on that puppy to break.

Jim Watson
December 7, 2010, 11:08 PM
Its a toy, Kraig.
Not even a toy, just an "artist's conception."
Might be big in a computer game.

Trigger Finger
December 8, 2010, 01:32 AM
It is just a concept.
Kraigwy "It amazes me people think they can gimmick their way to good shooting."

It will always get down to the shooter but you can always work on improving the basic foundation. The rifles of today can't be compared to the rifles of the 1880s. They would look at modern rifles like they were Thor's Hammer.
Advancement starts with a concept.
And wind measuring devices are not new by any means. And I don't think they always have the luxury of popping smoke 100 yards from the target on a 1500 plus yard target in the Stan. Maybe in 10 years we might have something like this!

RT
December 8, 2010, 06:11 AM
Reminds me of a tricked-out fantasy G36

tirod
December 8, 2010, 09:08 AM
"Dalton/Stanley T.W.D. requests that all observed information be kept strictly confidential, as a matter of National Security."

You don't post pics on a website of something you need to keep quiet about. Pure BS.

The magazine design and feed angle say it all - "Gamer on a Mountain Dew binge." There is a reason mags feed ammo in the same plane as the bolt travel, not tilted at some ridiculous angle. Slant stacking the ammo to achieve it is equally dumb, as it only creates problems and solves none.

The military solution is to use two weapons to accomplish the job. The opposite and diverse needs of an assault rifle and sniper rifle tend to force that. Trying to blend both into one means the result can't do either very well.

thesheepdog
December 8, 2010, 09:15 AM
That's probably the dumbest gun I have ever seen. My old nerf guns were more practical.

CortJestir
December 8, 2010, 09:20 AM
I can't cite anything, but I'm fairly certain this was a graphic artist's portfolio piece that he used to land a job designing for video games and SFX. That's why it looks like something out of Halo (a video game, for all you Fudds out there. :D) and is both impractical and fantastical. It has nothing to do with real-world design or application, AFAIK.

bottom rung
December 8, 2010, 09:41 AM
I refuse to look. Why do we need to tie up "thread space" on this forum with such silly things. I mean there are so many other better thread starters such as:

1. The coming zombie/alien problem - which gun is best?

2. I read that with some glue, a hack saw, a washing machine motor, and stainless tubing, I could build my own Dillon Minigun. Is it possible?

3. My girlfriend Scarlett Johansson wants me to buy her a new rifle. Which one should I get?

4. What awesome super assualt rifle would you recommend? Oh yeah bear in mind it needs to fit through the door of my Ferrari 458 while I'm wearing my Tac vest.

It goes on, but I won't.

kraigwy
December 8, 2010, 10:22 AM
And I don't think they always have the luxury of popping smoke 100 yards from the target on a 1500 plus yard target in the Stan

In Afghan or any other place on earth where there is air that moves, and you have light. Where you have moving air and light you have mirage. Using mirage (as opposed to wind at any one point) gives you a better ideal what the wind is doing across the course as it (mirage) averages the wind as seen in the scope.

I and others use the smoke, to show new shooters how the wind is different at different points across the course, not as a luxury in the field to show conditions.

If one elects to use wind at one point, then its best to use it at mid range, not on some gizmo setting on top of the rifle.

Look at it this way. Reading this and other shooting forums we see all kinds of little bitty sub minute groups being posted. But when the rubber meets the road, you find few cleaned targets at 600 or a 1000 yards. Take into account that the X-10 ring on these targets are about 2 MOA in diameter.

Why is that? It's the wind, light, temp and other environmental conditions on the range. The longer the range, the more these environmental concerns effect our shooting. You can put all sorts of gizmos on your rifle to tell you the temp, wind, humidity, etc, at your rifle, but what about the other 999 yards (between you and the 1000 yard target). Its the shooter that has to figure that out.

I've posted, a couple times, the results of an Army Research Laboratory "Sniper Weapon Control Error Budget Analysis" using the Knight SSW, SR25 308 sniper system where two man teams using rifle, spotting scope and laser range finders, resulted in a 27% probable Hit racial @ 600 yards using the E-Silhouette (19X40 in target). Then compared that ratio with the CMP Vintage Sniper Rifle Matches (600 yard stage), using the 9-10-X ring (18 in. in diameter). Again using two man teams, "vintage pre-1954 sniper rifles" spotting scopes. Looking at the scores you see they exceeded the 27% ratio by a long shot.

Another consideration, the American (and every other) soldier break stuff. The more stuff you give them, the more they will break. Give them a solid platform, less moving parts, less electronics, the less stuff they will break. Also the less stuff they have to carry. Look at the Mosin rifle, It's killed more people then any other sniper rifle in history. It's simple and about as "soldier proof" as any thing out there.

I contend its the shooter, not the rifle, no matter what sort of gizmos you put on the rifle. I think the money and effort would be better spent putting rounds down range.

LinuxHack3r
December 8, 2010, 10:32 AM
LOL!

3. My girlfriend Scarlett Johansson wants me to buy her a new rifle. Which one should I get?

Take her to the LGS, and buy her whatever she freaken wants! Duh!

/Lucky!

I do remember seeing something on some Military channel countdown about a system based VERY loosely on this idea. It is basically the idea of a "kit" based on the select fire AR design, modified somewhat heavily, in which the sharpshooter is issued a select fire assault rifle, but carries a seperate upper for his sharpshooting role. The upper may even be a caliber change, I'm not sure though, it's been too long. I don't remember if this was simply concept, or if it was actually being pushed towards operations.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

CPTMurdoc30
December 8, 2010, 10:45 AM
For such a fancy rifle he put a barska scope on his assult sniper rifle...... LOL:D:D:D:D

What are we in the movie Starship Troopers?

Trigger Finger
December 9, 2010, 03:45 PM
"I do remember seeing something on some Military channel countdown about a system based VERY loosely on this idea. It is basically the idea of a "kit" based on the select fire AR design, modified somewhat heavily, in which the sharpshooter is issued a select fire assault rifle, but carries a seperate upper for his sharpshooting role. The upper may even be a caliber change, I'm not sure though, it's been too long. I don't remember if this was simply concept, or if it was actually being pushed towards operations."

Linux, I think I saw the same program and I think they were trying to advance this concept to the military. If I recall he had an operational model that could change from 308 to 300 Win mag in seconds.

Everyone has to remember that this is just a concept for a possible future rifle, or a rifle similar to this in the future.

LinuxHack3r
December 9, 2010, 03:50 PM
Well, considering how quickly an upper can be removed from the lower (2 push pins), I personally think the concept as a whole is worth looking into. As far as the above extendible barrel...............well yeah:/

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk