PDA

View Full Version : Question for Glock fans.

TenRing
December 5, 2010, 11:18 PM
I don't own a Glock but I have started looking at them. In particular, I was checking out the Glock 19. I was trying to download a G19 owners manual from the Glock site but couldn't find it. I like to read owners manuals of guns before I buy. I'm not sure that I want this gun, just trying to learn more about it.

My question is about the buttons (slide switch) on the left and right sides of the frame above the trigger guard. What is the purpose of these? Nobody at the gun shop could answer so I left. I'm sure that the knowledgeable people on this forum know what this is. Thanks.

Cheapshooter
December 5, 2010, 11:40 PM
This should answer your question. Easier than words.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xcpc-VWnmQ
Just bought my first Glock a couple months ago. G20SF. Fantastic pistol, fun to shoot, even though the 10MM ammo can be a little pricey.

RUT
December 5, 2010, 11:44 PM
>>Nobody at the gun shop could answer so I left<<

:confused:

TenRing
December 5, 2010, 11:46 PM
Cheepshooter, thanks for finding that!

Cheapshooter
December 5, 2010, 11:51 PM
Nobody at the gun shop could answer so I left. :eek::eek::eek:
By the way, don't go back to that shop!!!

TenRing
December 6, 2010, 12:00 AM
I think it was probably the inexperienced staff that were working on a Sunday. This shop has been in business for a long time and they usually have some good people.

It's not the best shop but they do have some good people. Unfortunately, the three of them working there today didn't have a clue!

BigPoppa
December 6, 2010, 12:39 AM
TenRing, I just bought my first Glock, A Gen4 Glock 22 40S&W. I did a lot of research before my purchase and I must say so far it has lived up to the slogan "Glock Perfection". I have not had one ounce of trouble and it shoots accurately and is easily kept on target for multiple shots.

Jeremiah/Az
December 6, 2010, 01:09 AM
I can not take down my G26 without breaking at least 3 & 1/2 fingernails & I hate the little dinky slide stop, but it is reliable & shoots where I look. It is my truck beater. Not the one you show your friends! I have pretty guns, but this ain't one of them.

FoxtrotRomeo
December 6, 2010, 01:37 AM
I can not take down my G26 without breaking at least 3 & 1/2 fingernails & I hate the little dinky slide stop, but it is reliable & shoots where I look. It is my truck beater. Not the one you show your friends! I have pretty guns, but this ain't one of them.

Lightly use a flat head screw driver. That way you can save your fingernails.

There is also this one. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=48340/sku/Extended_Slide_Lock_Lever_for_GLOCK

As for the dinky slide stop, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=1281/sku/Model_1001__Blue

This one looks a lil better to activate.

Hope that helps

voyager4520
December 6, 2010, 05:05 AM
http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

The tabs above the trigger guard(the identical ones on both sides of the gun) are the takedown lever(slide lock) used for field-stripping the gun. You dry-fire the unloaded pistol while it's pointed in a safe direction, pull the slide back about 1/4 inch, then pull down on both sides of the lever and hold them down while you let the slide go forward off the frame. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing this, as well as many other things firearm related.

The other metal tab above the trigger guard, right where the slide and frame meet, is the slide stop. The slide stop is pushed up manually by the user to lock the slide open as the slide returns forward from it's fully rear position, or the follower of an empty magazine locks the slide back in the same manner.

I've found it's easier to grip the slide lock with a cloth.

RT
December 6, 2010, 06:00 AM
Glock pistols are very easy to disassemble and work on. The trigger may take a little getting used to but even that can be changed. Extended mag release and slide stop are readily available
Google "Glock armorer's manual"

Daryl
December 6, 2010, 06:51 AM

You must have long fingernails?

I remove the mag, empty the chamber, then with the pistol pointed in a safe direction I pull the trigger. I then place the palm of my left hand against the muzzle, and wrap my middle finger through the trigger guard. That privides me with enough control to push the slide back slightly, and then I push the slide lock down by holding it between my index finger and thumb of my right hand. I then release my middle finger from the trigger guard, and use that hand (left) to move the slide forward and off of the gun.

My fingernails are never used for anything in disassembling a Glock.

Officer's Match
December 6, 2010, 07:31 AM
As Daryl said, a tiny amount of pushing the slide back will remove the recoil spring tension off the slide stop (this is what Glock calls these "take down" tabs).

chris in va
December 6, 2010, 09:12 AM
I can not take down my G26 without breaking at least 3 & 1/2 fingernails

Huh. Maybe my 21sf is easier, but it's probably the quickest gun to take down I've ever had, including an XD.:confused:

RUT
December 6, 2010, 09:14 AM
Huh.... I don't use my fingernails.

Jeremiah/Az
December 6, 2010, 06:46 PM
I have big hands & fingers. I can not get a grip on the take down with my fingers like the U-Tubes show. Thank you, Fox. It looks like the extended parts would work. I don't carry this gun CC. It is just my truck gun.

FoxtrotRomeo
December 6, 2010, 06:58 PM
no prob. I've played with a 26 at the local shop, I understand that lil sucker can be a pain sometimes. I'm prolly going to do the same to the one I'll eventually get for myself just to make it more user friendly.

lee n. field
December 6, 2010, 09:04 PM
I was trying to download a G19 owners manual from the Glock site but couldn't find it.

Google it. There's plenty of Glock resources out there.

My question is about the buttons (slide switch) on the left and right sides of the frame above the trigger guard. What is the purpose of these? Nobody at the gun shop could answer so I left.

If noone could answer that simple question, you were well to leave.

They're used in field stripping the gun. They release the slide so it can be pulled forward and off the gun.

voyager4520
December 9, 2010, 05:54 AM
Huh. Maybe my 21sf is easier, but it's probably the quickest gun to take down I've ever had, including an XD.:confused:

The sub-compact models use the exact same slide lock(takedown lever) as their bigger counter-parts. However, the frame of the sub-compacts is ever so slightly wider at the point that holds the slide lock, so it's a lot harder to get a good grip on it.

My G23 is easy as pie to disassemble, but my G27 which uses the exact same slide lock is quite difficult to get a grip on, I have to use a cloth to get a better grip.