PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to customize my 10/22

gregjc9
December 3, 2010, 01:30 PM
I've decided to keep my ole Ruger 10/22, and morph it into something that will be a little more fun to play with. I'm thinking something along this line:

http://www.1022racerifle.com/images/product/zoom/custom-gun-13.jpg

I've looked on rimfirecentral, and my head started spinning with all the info there. I'm looking for suggestions from those here that have done something similar. I would like a quality stock and barrel, (but not crazy expensive, this is a pinker afterall), and other items deemed worthwhile, like extended mag release, etc. Brands to get, or stay away from would be appreciated. Mine has the metal trigger group, so I dont think the whole thing needs to be replaced. TIA

Dr MoonUnit
December 3, 2010, 01:50 PM
What are you looking to spend on this conversion?

Pahoo
December 3, 2010, 02:19 PM
I have been there and back, about three times and accept the possibilty that you will never get your money back, if you decide to sell it as such. That is mainly due to the fact, that you can invest a bunch of money into these upgrades that most folks don't want to pay for. If you go this route, then do it for yourself and not for the future. One nice thing is that you can restore it back to original and sell off the parts. Most of what you would do, can be undone. As you have probably already noted, you can get in for a dime and certainly more. Some expenses reap great results while others won't. As Dr MoonUnit has stated; What are you willing to spend? Please note that it is not my intent to discourage you and instead to look out for you. Might add that these are fun to tinker with and appreciate the results. Is your 10/22 a pre-plastic or post?

1) Volt. trigger kit is in order. (many options here)
2) Bolt buffer (Poly)
3) Boyt stock (Laminated thumbhole)
4) Bull barrel and there are a lot of choices here and might consider carbon fiber.
5) Auto bolt release buy or modify your existing.
6) Scope; Your best call ???
7) Bi-Pod? maybe later and Harris is a good choice.

Be Safe !!!

gregjc9
December 3, 2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I dont intend to sink a lot into it, and I know that's a very subjective answer. How much is "a lot"? I'm sure it will change as I start into this project.

Yep, well aware I'll never be able to get my money out of it, but I figure my son and I will have fun building it, so that will be worth a lot.

I have a pre-plastic model with a Bushnell 3-9x40 (IIRC) on it now. I already have a Harris Bi-Pod (borrow the one on my AR), and a Leopold VX1 3-9x40 laying the safe looking for a new home. Not sure which scope I'll wind up using.

My son has a Savage MarkII-BTVS with a Tasco Mag 3-12x30 that is an absolute tack driver. I'd like to build something comparable so we can have some good ole pinking competitions. :D

woodguru
December 3, 2010, 02:54 PM
As posted elsewhere I have bought three all out Volquartsen customs and did not pay more than $600 or so for any of them, in fact the Remington 597 based one with a carbon fiber tensioned barrel was $450. It had the trigger upgraded, and a one off custom Volquartsen scope block. Two of them had garbage scopes on them, the other didn't have one. I used Pentax or Nikon Buckmasters scopes so that was extra.

By the time you add up what you need and want as to the basics you will spend more, not to mention the donor rifle. Most of these will have more done than you would probably do yourself so you will be way ahead.

There is a whole bunch of guys that enjoy the hobby of buying and assembling their dream custom and when they are done they start thinking of what they want next and have to sell the one they have to get started.

If the parts here and there approach is what you want because you can't pony up the bucks to just buy someone else's or you will enjoy the process fine, but keep an eye on what's out there, it's pretty amazing. Get a decent scope (typically over $200) whatever you do, the finest custom is degraded by a junk scope. Between the two scopes you mentioned Leupold for sure.

Sell the ruger you have as it cuts the cost of what you buy by that much, you were going to modify it as part of the project anyway so it's gone.

Pahoo
December 3, 2010, 03:27 PM
but I figure my son and I will have fun building it, so that will be worth a lot.
That's great and you can't put a price on that. ..... :)
My son has a Savage MarkII-BTVS with a Tasco Mag 3-12x30 that is an absolute tack driver.
Strange but I have this same rifle and bought it with the money I got, selling one of my 10/22 target models. ..... :D

Be Safe !!!

Poodleshooter
December 3, 2010, 03:41 PM
A Green Mountain heavy barrel from any of the online vendors, a nice laminate stock from Stockys (or any of many other vendors) and a Power Custom or Volquartsen aftermarket hammer would probably be my first changes.

Later changes would be: modified bolt stop (allows you to pull the hammer back and let it go), sear with adjustable engagement, and a trigger with an overtravel stop. Maybe an extended magazine release,too.

If you really,really want to take it slow, just start with the target hammer. That makes more of an "shootability" difference than any other modification IMHO. Or just add a complete hammer/trigger/sear set from either Power Custom or Volquartsen.

woodguru
December 3, 2010, 03:51 PM
Where do you find poodle shooting competitions? :D Can I join?

One of the funnier Far Sides I saw was titled "a disaster in the making". There were two fields with a big hedge in the middle, on one side was a toy poodle show and on the other was a falconer's meet.

giaquir
December 3, 2010, 06:21 PM
The only thing that
limits customizing a Ruger 10/22
is one's imagination. IMHO they are
great rifles and a blast to shoot.
Ron