PDA

View Full Version : Specific Opinions on Elite 4200 vs Leupold VX-3

woodguru
December 2, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'm wanting to scope a Varmint rifle and was noticing a VX-3 6.5-20x can be had for about $310, the Elite 4200 6-24x is more like $450.

If there is a perceivable difference in resolution I want that scope that's better and don't care about $150, if they are virtually identical I'm way okay with the Leupold and saving $150.

Lower power scopes like 2-7x or 3-9x are harder to distinguish resolution differences than when you get into 6-24x or especially 8-32x, so typically the opinions formed between two brands at that level takes bigger differences to distinguish any real difference that isn't personal preferences. I don't figure there would be much difference between an Elite 4200 3-9x and a Leupold VX-3 3-9x. In the 20x class the Elite 4200 is going to have the advantage of a clear clean 24x versus Leupold's 20x, and that makes a difference.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with these scopes, I'm familiar with the Elites and have had quite a few, I haven't owned a Leupold for twenty years now but it doesn't mean I won't buy one if it fits a price to performance criteria such as this.

Also at the $325 or under point if something like a Vortex or any other scope in the 6-20x class has come to your drect comparison experience I'd be interested in trying it.

I'm scoping a Remington VLS Varmint .243 or .22-250, ammo cost is swaying me toward .22-250, it's way cheaper. I'd have to say I lean toward an Elite 4200 8-32x on a .22-250 but may do the 6-20x class.

Thanks

ZeroJunk
December 2, 2010, 01:14 PM
You sure about that price on the Leupold?

twins
December 2, 2010, 01:18 PM
I think you're about $400 short on the Leo.

myshoulderissore
December 2, 2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah, that sounds more like the price range for the VX-I.

billnourse
December 2, 2010, 01:23 PM
If you can buy a new Leupold VX3 6.5x20 for 310.00, get you one, and buy 2 for me. I will get you the money before you ship. I doubt you can find a new scope like that for less than about 600.00.

As far as a comparison goes, I don't know much about the Elite, but a VX-3 is very hard to beat. I have VX3's on all of my rifles except the rimfire, and it has a VXII. I have a VXIII 6.5x20x40 on my Rem 700 VS and it is an awesome scope.

If the price is the real deal, let me know and I will make arraingments for you to get me two of them. I'll be glad to pay you for your trouble.

Bill

woodguru
December 2, 2010, 01:53 PM
Looking on gunbroker all week long on the $325 or so, I'm a shopper. :) Actually the last Elite 4200's I got I paid $350 for a 6-24x and $425 for the 8-32x, Pricing on GB the Elite 6-24x are about $450, I can probably do better than that though through a distributor I deal with.

I got to looking at them because I'm watching a Remington 700 Varmint .22-250 with the Leupold on it for $998 or so. I wanted to know how much was scope when the rifle can be had for about $650. I thought the scopes were around $700 but they can be had for half that. I almost did the buy it now until I saw the going price. I may still.

Scorch
December 2, 2010, 01:58 PM
In response to your original question, the Elite 4200 and Leupold VX3 are in the same class, both price and quality-wise, so I personally would choose a Leupold. But go look for yourself and compare them side by side, then make up your mind.

SamDelf
December 2, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm hunting all over GB for those $310 Leupold vx-3's...

But if you find one at that price,
I preferred the Leupold in a side by side test

thinkingman
December 2, 2010, 04:06 PM
I'd buy the 4200 for the rainguard feature....it's wet here most of the time.
I suspect the build quality is about the same.
Bushnell probably has the advantage in glass.
You would probably have more willing biters for the Leupy if you wanted to sell...so many people have bought into the reputation.

woodguru
December 2, 2010, 04:11 PM
There were four up last night with buy it nows at about 12:30 pacific time, one used one is left at $310 but an open bid with 3 days left so we'll see where it goes.

taylorce1
December 2, 2010, 04:41 PM
I've got an first year Bushnell 4200 4-16X40AO and I'd say the optics clarity is on par with my 4-12X40 AO Leupold VX-II. I have the 4-16 on a .25-06 and the 4-12 on a 6x47 Rem. No problems with either popping prairie dog sized targets at 300+ yards all day. I don't feel hindered at all using lower powers than 20X with either scope.

I did take an early morning smallish mule deer buck this year at a little over 100 yards with the Bushnell and it did fine in the low light, the Leupold does well in that area as well. I do like the knobs on the 4200 much better than the VX-II scope but I like the light weight of the Leupold better. I do wish that they were both side focus instead of AO so I could do everything behind the rifle better.

No real experience with the Vortex yet but I did pick up a used Viper 2-7 BDC that I'm trying to decide which rifle I'll put it on. Might go on my Savage .223 or my M96 6.5X55. I do like the scope and the knobs on this one, but I'd still say it is comparable to my 3-9X40 VXII scopes and not my 2.5-8X36 VX-III, but better than my B&L 3000, Burris FFII and Nikon Monarch UCC 2-7 power scopes.

.300 Weatherby Mag
December 2, 2010, 05:22 PM
Where are these cheap leupolds... Thats very cheap.. You sure the ones you saw weren't late used Vari-X III's???

taylorce1
December 2, 2010, 09:29 PM
I found that scope he is talking about on GB it is the newer VX-3. Has a few bids on it and is at $310 with 5 days to go. It will go up dramaticly in the last few hours of bidding I'm sure.

woodguru
December 2, 2010, 11:01 PM
Just don't be bidding against me dammit :D

No really, there were at least three other ones with buy it nows, you have to keep a sharp eye out, I always get things cheap like that. I got an Anschutz 1517 MPR for $450, put an Elite 4200 8-32x on it and got $1200 for it a year later.

taylorce1
December 2, 2010, 11:32 PM
Just don't be bidding against me dammit

Don't worry I won't, not the kind of scope I like for the most part. Starting power is just too high. Now if I could get it for cheap I might be able to trade for what I want, but I don't have the time to sit and watch these auctions very often. It's just like gambling you have to know your limits.:D

Besides it is too close to Christmas, and I know the limits I can push on my wife with my habits!;)

woodguru
December 3, 2010, 05:05 AM
I'm not supposed to buy more guns until my book publishes in March or so, but my wife inherited almost half a million dollars so things have loosened up. It eased up the pressure on my miscalaneous income activities to where I'm accruing mad money rather quickly. We are going to pay cash for the house we are in as a place to park the bulk of it which eases things another $1800 a month.

Couldn't talk her into investing it in cars and guns but eliminating a house payment has it's advantages. :D

Also I'm selling my Audi S8 and I can do what I want with that money, so I'm getting antsy for a few guns.

Wildalaska
December 3, 2010, 06:11 AM
Id buy a VXI Leupy before I bought any Bushnell.

In fact I would use open sights duct taped to my rifle before I dropped a single dime on any Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, Burris, Bauska, Vortex or any of the off brands.

Yours, etc.

WildbutireckonimascopesnobAlaska ™©2002-2010

DiscoRacing
December 3, 2010, 06:52 AM
open sights duct taped to my rifle

How expensive is that Ken??!!!

IF they are good id like to get a set or two.

phil mcwilliam
December 3, 2010, 07:42 AM
Ive shot rifles fitted with high power(16x+) Leupold & Bushnell variables, & the Leupold was definately clearer at high power.
I would however have to agree with the o.p in saying the difference between Leupolds & Bushnells in the 3-9x40 category is negligable, especially during "normal" hunting hours of half hour before & after sunrise/set.
The Leupolds & the high end European scopes actually perform noticeably better after normal hunting hours.

ZeroJunk
December 3, 2010, 10:18 AM
I bought one Bushnell 4200 and sent it back because it was just too clunky.
Optics amy be excellent but the Leupold is shorter and lighter.

jhog1
December 3, 2010, 10:36 AM
Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, Burris, Bauska, Vortex

I don't think I would lump Burris in with this bunch. I know that they now have some lower end made in the Phillipines scopes which really aren't junk, but not the same quality that Burris once was

woodguru
December 3, 2010, 01:00 PM
You are smoking something lumping those brands together the way you are, I think the lower end Burris and Bushnell are junk for my purposes and can be included, but when you get into their upper end like Elite 4200 and Burris Signature scopes they are not junk....and you haven't tried Vortex because they are a lot of scope at their price points and flat can't be lumped with Barska, Simmons, Tasco, etc.

That's like trying a Ford Pinto and making the broad statement that Fords are junk.

Yeah, I have no use for high power Bushnell Banner or Trophy scopes, but I don't discriminate on an Elite 4200 because it shares the name Bushnell.

Opinions aren't worth anything by people that haven't tried what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

Zerojunk, was that a lower power scope or a 50mm vs a 40mm? I use the 4200 6-24x and 8-32x and they are about as sleek as any high power scope on the market, I'd never call one clunky. But then I hunt with Varmint and semi heavy barreled rifles and don't call them heavy. :D These are all .17 HMR's. That's an Elite 4200 8-32x on the Anschutz and an Elite 4200 6-24x on the Remington 504-T, a Burris Signature 8-32x on the Savage, Pentax 4-12x Gameseeker on the 597, Nikon 6-18x Buckmasters SF on the Remington 504. I guess on varmint rifles I've never sweated scope weight.

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy321/parrotcare_2009/P1010589.jpg

Wildalaska
December 3, 2010, 03:45 PM
Opinions aren't worth anything by people that haven't tried what they are talking about

No offense dude, but I have handled, looked through, shot with, played with, seen made, thrown away and returned for more optics than most folks will ever see if they live to be 110.

So here is WAs scope snob rule No1: If it isnt a Leupold, Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B, Trijicon or Nightforce it is a waste of money.

YMMV

Yours, etc

WildnoseintheairAlaska ™©2002-2010

.300 Weatherby Mag
December 3, 2010, 03:49 PM
So here is WAs scope snob rule No1: If it isnt a Leupold, Swarovski, Zeiss, S&B, Trijicon or Nightforce it is a waste of money.

:D

woodguru
December 3, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm not a snob about much of anything (okay I hate budget scopes), I like Zeiss and was severely disappointed in a Conquest 6-20x as it wasn't a true Zeiss, it was a Leupold (might as well have been). I sent it back.

As a watch dealer I avoided Rolex as I dealt in brands that are every bit as good or better, just cost less. I sheepishly admit I looked to see what I am wearing and it's a submariner, that's my junker work watch that I don't care about.

You have the two types we are, you are a self admitted snob, you make up your mind about something and that's it, it is not going to be able to be budged, am I right? I know you are right but I don't mean that right. :)

I on the other hand I am a connoisseur :D and only care about which is really best, not what label it wears, as evidenced by the fact that I was a Leupold man for a decade and a half except for some Zeiss and Swarovski deviations that were well appreciated, I abandoned Leupold when the higher power target and varmint scopes went over a grand in the 80's. Occassionally I have had others on rifles I got but they were sold to get better scopes for often the same money. I was not enamored of the little 24k gold ring on the scope.

We are in the same camp on numbers I'm sure, I've purchased over 20 scopes in the last two years alone and I wasn't buying any guns for one of the years. I'm coming off of the hiatus though and getting ready to go on another binge. My last about 2 years ago was 18 rifles in two months.

I don't know if you like wine but if you do you would get a name brand like Opus or Silver Oak (that's my brother too) at $100 to $150 thinking that's the best. Meanwhile I would do my homework and find a little sleeper of a steal that is remarkably better than either of those hoitty toitty wines for $30 or $40 dollars.

Nope, a snob can't see better products if they are outside of the opinion that's already been formed, often by other opinionated lemmings.

I'm just havng fun, don't get all serious on me here. :D

IXLR8
December 3, 2010, 04:43 PM
Bushnell is a fine choice. The tactical series is very nice. I have 2 of them and have never had any complaint. You did not state your application, but the rainguard is a pretty good option if you are hunter. Leupold has the name recognition, but the Bushnell is still a great scope.

The 4200 Tactical that I own has an FFP optic. You can buy the Bushnell FFP model for half the price of the next lowest priced FFP scope. It is only important if you are a long range shooter. It has a Mil-dot, but the dots are displayed actual size at any magnification. Typically a non-FFP scope changes the size of the dots when zoomed, and is setup for 12x on a 6-24x scope, where you have to double the dot for 6x, and half it for 24x. An FFP scope always shows 1 mil at any magnification, which is good for rangefinding and sizing of objects.

Bushnell Model 426245F

Wildalaska
December 3, 2010, 04:45 PM
As a watch dealer I avoided Rolex as I dealt in brands that are every bit as good or better, just cost less. I sheepishly admit I looked to see what I am wearing and it's a submariner, that's my junker work watch that I don't care about.

As a watch buyer I have had a Roly since 1981. My Tag Heur is long gun, busted on a tranny removal. Never would own anyhting but a Rolex.

I on the other hand I am a connoisseur and only care about which is really best,

Me too. I repeat my statement above. You may buy 10 scopes a year but I sell, junk, look through, have repaired or use that many a week.

Sincerely

WildqualityisqualityAlaska ™©2002-2010

woodguru
December 3, 2010, 04:55 PM
I was writing that last just havin fun. I don't typically get mean with people unless they work really hard to open that can. :D I try to have fun with people and bring out there sense of humor. I admit to sometimes having a little too much fun with those who don't have a sense of humor.

CPTMurdoc30
December 3, 2010, 07:44 PM
Leupold has some goos scopes. The bottom rung I would look at are the VX-3 nothing below that would I ever buy again. I had a VX-II on my varmint rifle it SUCKED. It was a 6-18x40mm. On 6x I had to ride the scope on 18x I was hanging on the back of the stock to get a clea sight picture. I called Leupold 4 times about it and they said it was normal and they refused to fix it.

I traded it for a NIKON monarch 6.5-20x42mm and never looked back. I have the 6-24x40mm bushnell on my 308 target rifle. It shoots great. Nice clear picture, I paid $525 for it. I also have a Nikon monarch 6-24x50mm SF with target turrets. I like it more than the bushnell and feel it is a better scope. Side Focus and it came with 3 set of turrets in the box. That one is sitting on top of my AR. Yes you heard me right an ar with a 6-24x50mm scope on it. It is not your run of the mill AR it is a RRA predator Pursuit Rifle 20". I use it for varmint hunting with shots out to 500 yards. I killed a ground hog at 325 yards the first time I took it out with me.

In my eyes you can't go wrong with either but if it were me and I could land a VX-3 for $310 I would have my wallet out so fast it would look like a quick draw. That is one hell of a price on that leupold.

Ziess Conquests are about the same price as well.

Oh I also have a vortex Crossfire 4-12x40 on my deer rifle. For $130 it is the clearest scope I have ever seen. Plus they have a lifetime warranty on them as well. If it breaks send it back they repair or replace free.

Now time for scope ****.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/cpttango30/Guns/109_2868.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/cpttango30/AR-15/IMG_1468.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/cpttango30/AR-15/DSC_0048.jpg

Groups from the first range visit with the AR.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/cpttango30/AR-15/AR-15group.png

IXLR8
December 4, 2010, 09:50 PM
Don't forget the rings...

It has been covered in other threads pretty good. Don't buy a great scope only to mount it with bargain scope rings. Expensive does not mean better, but get something that works for the rifle you have.

Personally I like lever lock scope rings. You can remove your scope for cleaning and put it back on without having to re-zero. Works perfect every time.