PDA

View Full Version : Here comes another newby

napp
November 30, 2010, 11:28 PM
I've been lurking for a few days; but didn't register until tonight.

I'm not a new guy to shooting...my first gun was a rimfire .22cal when I was six years old. However, I am new to the BP world. I have spent the last few days trying to learn some of the jargon. I hope I did my homework well; because I just completed my first BP purchase a few minutes ago.

It wasn't easy to limit myself to "just one"; but I ordered the 1858 Remington New Army w/case hardened frame and checkered grips from Cabela. I'm sure everyone here is familiar with it; but just in case there is another newby reading this post, here is the link. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=705328&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=a0242697ac10705522fb1493e175756c&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

I also ordered what I think is enough accessories to get my feet wet in the BP pond. Cabela says I should get the gun within a week; so I'll find out then if I've forgotten anything.

I've enjoyed the forum while I was lurking; and I'm sure I will enjoy it more as I continue to learn new things.

If I should ask some dumb questions, be gentle with me.

napp

the rifleer
November 30, 2010, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the forums. You'll love your new gun. When you shoot it, you have to get in the mind set that you are content with being patient, shooting slowly, and making every shot count.

As long as you do that, you will have tons of fun with it. :)

napp
November 30, 2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks Rifleer. I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw your signature and compared it to the last line of my original post. I can only hope that is your normal signature; and not something you created especially to commemorate my joining the forum. ;)

egor20
November 30, 2010, 11:54 PM
Welcome napp, I will also be a newbie to the BP world if santa/OH thinks I'm a good boy after Christmas, so welcome to the newbie club

Doc Hoy
December 1, 2010, 05:25 AM
Let me add my own welcome.

I think your decision on the Remington was a wise one.

Shoot carefully and let us know how you did the first time out.

Fingers McGee
December 1, 2010, 12:20 PM
Welcome to the forum napp.

Even though I'm kinda partial to Colt's design for C&B revolvers, I'll second Doc's opinion that the Remmie was a good starting point for your new obsession.

Let us know how your first shooting session turns out.

FM

napp
December 1, 2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks fellas.

The indoor range where I usually shoot won't allow BP; but things are falling into place for an alternative. There is a local BP club with an outdoor range that is located about ten minutes from my house. As soon as I have completed arrangements to become a club member, I will have access to the range.

I have already discovered something that I should have ordered among my accessories with the first order. Considering the ease with which one can remove the cylinder on the 1858, I think I want to get a stand alone cylinder reloading tool/stand. Cabela's has one listed; but I have no idea how it performs compared to others that are available. I would appreciate your comments on where to order one; and which one to purchase.

bedbugbilly
December 1, 2010, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the forum! Just remember . . . "the only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask"! Sounds like you got yourself a nice shooting iron to get started with . . . you'll love it! Lots of good guys on here who can help you out if you get stuck on something . . . don't be afraid to ask! Welcom again and I hope you really enjoy your new purchase! Kindest regards! :)

Doc Hoy
December 1, 2010, 06:16 PM
Triple P makes a nice loader.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4116115

It is a little big to throw in the shooting box but it appears to be good quality and gets high praise from most of the users.

Hawg
December 1, 2010, 08:36 PM
I usually get orders from Cabela's in three days. You're gonna love that Remington. It's a cut above the plain model. Not just the looks but the smoothness of the action too.

Here's mine.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/Remingtons/cch.jpg

SainthoodDenied
December 1, 2010, 09:28 PM
Welcome aboard, That Remington will be a great one to get started with for sure.
I'm not sure what part of GA you're in but there are still a few BP clubs pretty active here. 2 are big clubs with monthly shoots and a couple weekend shoots each year.
Send me a message if you want info or web links to any of them.
I moved out of Ga for awhile and when I came back last year alot of the old clubs have just died out,including the 2 where I shot at regularlly that were close by.

ClemBert
December 1, 2010, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the forum and to the insanity!

Great choice for your first BP revolver. :D

kadima
December 2, 2010, 08:21 AM
Nice Pietta, although I am partial to Uberti, the checkered grips and the blueing are wonderful.
A pity checkered grips aren't allowed in BP competitions here...

K. (from Italy)

mrappe
December 2, 2010, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the party! It sounds like you made a good decision for your first BP gun. I would like to add another one and the one you chose would be my first choice.

BConklin
December 2, 2010, 05:26 PM
I can't welcome you - 'cause I'm a newbie too :o

But - I had an opportunity to handle the gun you chose at Cabelas the other day and I came very close to buying it on the spot.

I picked up a Pietta 1858 Navy 36 cal recently for my wife and it's a sweet gun - and I do shoot it, but there's no getting around the fact that the frame and grips are too small for my hand and I have to hold it funny to shoot.

I tried some of the other 1858's in the case and the best fit for me was the case hardened sweetheart you're getting. It's a very nice gun.

Sgt.Saputo
December 2, 2010, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the forums! :)

Also, I just bought the same cap and ball Hawg Haggen posted.

napp
December 2, 2010, 09:02 PM
Sgt Saputo,

I saw your other post; but it confused me. You were asking about .36 cal balls. My gun is .44 cal. I wasn't even aware that the 1858 New Army was produced as a .36 cal. Just goes to show how much I have yet to learn about the BP world.

I'm sure we will both enjoy our new acquisitions.

napp

Doc Hoy
December 2, 2010, 09:26 PM
Welcome, Conk,

Stay tuned.....Details at eleven.....or twelve.

Hawg
December 2, 2010, 10:08 PM
The .36 is the Navy model.

Sgt.Saputo
December 2, 2010, 10:18 PM
Napp, that is stupidity on my part. I was so busy staring at my gun that I didn't look close enough at yours :D.

I do not believe they are the same model, I purchased a Pietta Remington 1858 .36. It was used and didn't come with any papers, the guy said he was pretty sure it was an 1858 Army. So it took some looking to find out. Ordered all the stuff I couldn't get at Gander Mountain from Midway. Can't wait to get it out and shoot it :).

kadima
December 3, 2010, 05:10 AM
Sometimes the 1858 is referred to new Army regardless of the gauge.
I've shot both of them but I like the Navy (i.e. .36) more because kicks less than a .22 rimfire and allow me to concentrate on the "technical" pat of the shooting.
Besides (yes, my middle name is Ebenezer) a .36 requires less lead and powder and given that my purpose is just to put holes in a target and I don't care about stopping power (at least not in a BP gun) it's the perfect choice.

K.

junkman_01
December 3, 2010, 08:11 AM
The purpose of ANY gun is to put holes in a target. If that paper target is pi$$ed off and charging you'll WISH you had a .44 :D

BConklin
December 3, 2010, 09:38 AM
Yes - Pietta makes a .36 cal 1858 with a 6.5 barrel. Sweeeet gun.

Different vendors call it different things now ..such as "New Army Police" but I *think* the original Remingtons were produced in .36 for the Navy.

napp
December 3, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hawg,

I like the finish of the grips on your 1858. What do you use on them?

Hawg
December 3, 2010, 09:42 PM
They came that way except for a lil sweat and bp fouling here and there:D

Gatofeo
December 3, 2010, 10:01 PM
See my post, "So You Want A Cap and Ball Revolver?" in the sticky section above. Lots of good info there.
A separate loader is not necessary, in my opinion. Use the one mounted on the revolver. A loading stand that holds the revolver upright, preferably the folding type that is hinged, makes loading easier. The folding variety makes it easy to bring in the shooting box.
Buy a shooting box bigger than you think you'll need. You'll eventually fill it with accessories, and perhaps necessities for other caliber revolvers.
You picked a good revolver to start with. I'm certain you'll enjoy this newfound hobby ... obsession ... quest ... the activity defies definition.

napp
December 4, 2010, 12:16 AM
Gatofeo,

Thank you!

I had to chuckle when you said, "See my post." Heck, I've printed it out; and re-read it so many times that I almost have it committed to memory. For a novice such as myself, your post has been a real treasure trove.

Before I forget, thank you again.