PDA

View Full Version : CZ, You Are Such a Grease Ball

pichon
November 30, 2010, 02:49 PM
I just picked up my new CZ P-01 today and I have never seen so much oil on a pistol before. I have a CZ 452 Ultra Lux rifle and it was the same way but it had far fewer nooks and crannies to clean out.

I disassembled the mags, removed the slide, barrel, spring, and guide rod, and wiped it all down with rem oil, but I am not satisfied. The rubber grips are a bit sticky still and I just think it could be cleaner.

How do you folks get all of the crud out of your new pistols.

Walt Sherrill
November 30, 2010, 02:53 PM
In the past CZ was notorious for leaving their guns dripping in break-in oil, from final testing and machine-driven trigger pulls.

Yours is the first references I've seen to GREASE being on the guns.

pichon
November 30, 2010, 02:58 PM
In the past CZ was notorious for leaving their guns dripping in break-in oil, from final testing and machine-driven trigger pulls.

Yours is the first references I've seen to GREASE being on the guns.

You are correct, it is oil, not grease. I have changed the post to correct that.

It is quite sticky whatever it is.

NJgunowner
November 30, 2010, 03:04 PM
It's just a packing oil they use to protect the gun while it sits in a warehouse. It's a little stickier so it doesn't pool or drain from where it was applied in case it sits for a long time or is exposed to moisture from improper storage.

pichon
November 30, 2010, 03:09 PM
So how do you remove it all from the nooks and crannies? Total disassembly? I would have to go to a smith for that as I am not comfortable doing that myself.

Or is a good standard cleaning sufficient?

IMightBeWrong
November 30, 2010, 03:42 PM
I gave mine a decent cleaning out of the box and stuck it in the night stand and in a week or so the factory oil dried up. The grips were pretty sticky but they are perfect now. I used to have a SIG 228 that came equally smothered in oil. Crazy.

notamisfit6
November 30, 2010, 03:49 PM
I tried to use that gun scrubber stuff to get rid of all the oil. It melted the handgrips.

WLJ
November 30, 2010, 03:59 PM
I remember it leaving a puddle of oil on my FFL's counter when I unpacked a new CZ75 stainless. Why you would need a quart of oil on a stainless is beyond me. It wasn't sticky, just plain oil.

woodguru
November 30, 2010, 03:59 PM
That's the pits for sure. :(

aarondhgraham
November 30, 2010, 04:33 PM
A few months back I ordered two CZ pistols,,,
I spent hours getting all of that thick oil off and out of them.

The Czechs sure didn't want them rusting in the warehouse.

Amin Parker
November 30, 2010, 06:10 PM
This gives me an idea for extra extra long term storage. Remove grips, put in container and fill with motor oil and seal.

Surely corrosion is not getting near the metal on that gun? Or am i missing something?

Coop204
November 30, 2010, 06:54 PM
Automotive Brake Cleaner to get the oil and gunk out of the barrel of their CZ's.
You have to watch what you get it on, as it will take the finish off wood and melt some plastics.

vladan
November 30, 2010, 07:58 PM
some complain about kimbers and tauruses shipped so dry that they rust before they get to customer, some complain about CZ soaked in oil ... I wonder if that is a some kind of sport :-)

Remove the grips, give it few shots with gunscrubber or carb cleaner, coat with light coat of your preferred lube, put back the grips and you all set. It is not exactly a rocket science

ZeSpectre
November 30, 2010, 08:41 PM
I tend to field strip my CZ pistols, remove the grips, and do a "toothbrush cleaning" in a small pan of kerosene. The the guns get hung to "drip dry" overnight.

After that it's lube as usual and into service with them.

pichon
December 1, 2010, 12:30 AM
Sounds great. I have a can of gunscrubber. Thanks.

radom
December 1, 2010, 01:15 AM
They tend to ship them from the factory in a heat sealed plastic bag full of oil. The jobbers must have a fun time dealing with that before they ship them out.

stevieboy
December 1, 2010, 08:21 AM
Oily new guns are a CZ tradition.

When I got my CZ 75B it looked as if it had fallen into a salad bowl. I disassembled the gun, sprayed some patches with Birchfield Casey Gun Scrubber and wiped the gun down as carefully as I could. It took me about 10 minutes and the gun was good to go. The Gun Scrubber did not damage the plastic grips as best as I can tell.

JQP
December 1, 2010, 09:29 AM
CZ 75B packed in a bag full of cosmoline that resembles warm Crisco?

Yes....

...yes, indeed.

Rinspeed
December 1, 2010, 09:40 AM
My Les Baer had enough oil in the bag to last me three months. ;)

tjhands
December 1, 2010, 10:45 AM
My Les Baer had enough oil in the bag to last me three months.

LOL, I was just getting ready to say the same exact thing. My truck wishes it had that much oil in it.

MidwestRookie
December 1, 2010, 11:03 AM
I haven't had the chance to deal with CZ yet, but I'm ordering a Tokarev today and almost all reviews talk about it being covered in cosmoline...

I think it's gonna suck just like all the oil on CZs..I don't have a clue what I'm gonna do..

magnumPi
December 1, 2010, 01:16 PM
It might help to put it on several layers of paper towels on a surface that receives sunlight through a window, or spread some plastic and paper towels down in the back seat of a car, let the oil/grease melt out of it
of course this works better during the summer.

joyrock
December 1, 2010, 01:44 PM
when I got my CZ-75bd, it was in a bag with about 4-5 oz of oil, it got all over the place! it was fun to clean it all out. My CZ-100 was a still dripping with oil, but not as bad as the 75BD. but i'm not complaining or any thing. the EAA was kinda dry. my AR was dry, there was hardly any oil on it at all, but i soon fixed that. but i do like my guns dripping.

chris in va
December 1, 2010, 06:47 PM
I found PowderBlast to work wonders on problems such as yours. Be sure to take off any plastic bits first, it'll turn them white.

haven't had the chance to deal with CZ yet, but I'm ordering a Tokarev today and almost all reviews talk about it being covered in cosmoline...

I think it's gonna suck just like all the oil on CZs..I don't have a clue what I'm gonna do..

That's an easy one. Just boil it for 20 minutes. The cosmo will float to the top.

pichon
December 2, 2010, 12:39 AM
That's an easy one. Just boil it for 20 minutes. The cosmo will float to the top.

No way, didn't you see what happened when that other guy from the other thread who tried to cook his firearm? :D

So just to be certain, on my P-01 the grips and guide rod are the only thing I shouldn't spray? The rest is safe?

pichon
December 2, 2010, 05:11 PM
Well, I got it clean. I used powderblast and it came right off. I removed the grips first and scrubbed them with dish soap and a sponge. Then I powderblasted the rest, gave it some Hoppes #9, and put the grips back on after I wiped them down with the ever so slightly oily rag to keep the rubber supple.

Officer's Match
December 2, 2010, 07:04 PM
I just wiped the excess off the outside and started shooting it. I don't mind my guns being lubed, especially brand new ones.

ZeSpectre
December 2, 2010, 08:53 PM
I just wiped the excess off the outside and started shooting it. I don't mind my guns being lubed, especially brand new ones.

The problem with that is that the "oil" is really a preservative, not really a very good lubricant.

wvshooter
December 3, 2010, 10:20 PM
So how do you remove it all from the nooks and crannies? Total disassembly? I would have to go to a smith for that as I am not comfortable doing that myself.

Or is a good standard cleaning sufficient?

Just my opinion but I think the only way to get into the nooks and crannies without a total disassembly is shooting it with a spray coming out of the thin red plastic tube that comes with the spray can. Good candidates are non chlorinated brake cleaner, Winchester Powder Residue Blaster, Gun Scrubber or similar product. Avoid carb cleaner.

These products will remove all lubricants so they have to be followed with something like Rem Oil, ATF(automatic transmission fluid), CLP or similar.

I recently tried Ballistol as a lubricant and it is one of the better lubricants out there. Only problem is the smell. Almost a perfect match for dirty gym socks.

armoredman
December 3, 2010, 10:37 PM
My CZs have come with the travel oil, and I never had to resort to such to get them usable. :) Normal cleaning and a lot of wiping down worked just fine. It is a lot of goop, but with guns coming on board ship, that's a lot of salt air that could work its way in, might as well be careful.