PDA

View Full Version : Gander question

JesusQueen
November 22, 2010, 01:31 PM
So i'm looking to buy an XDm 9mm and Gander is having a sale on Thanksgiving. They will give you $20 in giftcards for every $100 puchased.

Does anyone know if that would apply to firearms? It would sure seal the deal for me if I got $120 in giftcards to feed the XDm.

Thanks

hdawson228
November 22, 2010, 01:33 PM
I've found that Gander is more expensive than my local gun store. I prefer to support local business.:cool:

The Great Mahoo
November 22, 2010, 02:00 PM
I can't imagine it wouldn't. Sounds like you just need to go through the checkout and buy all of the gift cards, then go back to the gun-counter and make your purchase using said cards.

Its almost as good as a 20% discount. Not bad on purchase of a gun, but their prices on ammo and other shooting-supplies always seems very high to me.

JesusQueen
November 22, 2010, 02:11 PM
Their prices usually are high.

They have the XDm 9mm for $599 which isn't out of line. That would leave me with $120 in gift cards if firearms aren't excluded from that sale.

They have 250rd UMC 9mm for $49.99 which isnt out of line either. So I think all this could be a could deal.

What say you?

Uncle Malice
November 22, 2010, 02:29 PM
i say $49.99 for the umc bulk packs is cheaper than they are at wal mart. wish i had gander mtn. :)

pgdion
November 22, 2010, 02:42 PM
It does apply to firearms and it's a pretty good deal. I maxed it out last year (and then some). The Gander bucks can't be used until after Thanksgiving weekend and must be used before something like Jan 3. No problem for me. I paid maybe $20 more for the gun but got $100 in cards that I used for other x-mas gifts. A pretty good deal.

btw - there is a limit of $100 in gift cards so a $600 purchase gets you $100 (that was the same thing for me last year).

Funny story, my father-in-law bought a sigma and got $60. He was explaining the deal and how he got $60 to the ladies when we got back. Then he says that's nothing, Phil got a $100 in gift cards. They all look at me like how much did I have to spend to get that $100. Yea, but that 92FS is still my favorite gun :-) We're going back again this year! :D

Philo
November 22, 2010, 04:10 PM
They have a fair selection of guns, ammo, and accessories, but I learned pretty quickly that Gander is very expensive. You might find that even with this special gift card offer, you will come out ahead by buying your XD 9 online or from your local gun shop. Shop around. It's worth it.

Cheapshooter
November 22, 2010, 04:20 PM
took advantage of a similar offer from Cabela's a couple months back. With a purchase of over $500.00 you got a $150.00 Cabela's cash card good for any merchandise in the store. I bought a Glock 20 SF priced at $599. Maybe a little higher than some local dealers, but knowing I would be spending $150.00 and probably more with them in the future I considered it like getting the Glock for $450.00. Nobody could beat that price.
The only thing, read the fine print . We don't have a Gander in this area, and don't get the offers, so I don't know. Make sure they don't do like BPS and exclude the purchase of firearms, ammo, and other things from this offer.

vikingextreme93
November 22, 2010, 04:34 PM
gander I go to look at stuff only or if I need ammo and dont want to run all over because they are down the street from me. I got a similar deal in giftcards from cabelas where I spent 500 and got 150 back and guns were not excluded. Seeing how gander operates I would definitely read the fine print.

Spats McGee
November 22, 2010, 05:28 PM
Break out the magnifying glass and read the Terms & Conditions carefully. I noticed that a different Black Friday offer by Gander Mountain online specifically stated that it did not apply to firearms or ammunition.

insolentshrew
November 22, 2010, 07:30 PM
I've found that Gander is more expensive than my local gun store. I prefer to support local business.

I wish that was the case for me. I do some work on the side for my LGS, and the most recent pistol I purchased the amount they would sell it to me for at their "cost" was $60 higher than retail at bass pro shop. I say "cost" because I remember seeing in a different forum one of the vendors talking about pricing and they didn't hide anything. The cost the MFR gave them on pistols, and why you would see certain pricing in different instances for deals from gun shows etc.

To actually throw out some numbers, $569 @ bass pro shop
quoted $629 "cost" at LGS for being a friend,
actual dealer cost $479

Could have had the pistol for 500 flat online, but after shipping/transfer fee i would rather pay the few extra dollars to get it that second from the store. Less of a hassle.

Venom1956
November 23, 2010, 03:37 AM
hmmm... There is a used Single Six @ my gander mt... for 300... that would make that price a bit more tempting. I regret lookin at this post... :D

pgdion
November 23, 2010, 10:56 AM
The Ganders around me have always been decent. Selection is good (some better than others, the Eden Prairie store is really nice) and the prices have been usually good. Some guns a good deal, some not so much. It depends on what you want. I always check online before buying locally but I have yet to see an on line offer that, after shipping and FFL, I consider tempting as opposed to buying locally. It's usually something like $10 to notta. For that price I'd rather see the gun first. And the Gander nearest me, it has a couple of pretty cool guys working the counter. As far as the add, if it's like last year, it includes fire-arms, ammo, everything except the sales tax. It was a very good deal. And there is free financing too, something Gander only does a couple times a year. I will be in there early!!! :D

Venom1956
November 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
I shy away from gander unless it is a used gun... I've had problems with them in the past when purchasing and I have local stores that will cut me much better deals I only buy there when I have to.

rvito
November 27, 2010, 07:44 PM
Our local Gander is so high priced. 27.00 for 45 Blazer brass which is 13.99 at wally world