PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions please...

kylen
November 19, 2010, 11:46 PM
First off, Greetings Everyone! Secondly I was contemplating with purchasing a Taurus 1911 from my local gun store. I wanted your opinions and thoughts on the Taurus 1911 .45. Also share your pics if you would like. Thanks.

Mosin44az
November 20, 2010, 12:33 AM
I strongly advise AGAINST purchasing a Taurus 1911 based on my own experience. My thumb safety snapped in two and fell off the gun after only 300 rounds, and my hammer started to "follow" the slide shortly after that. I had a local gunsmith replace these cheap parts with quality aftermarket items.

Yes I know I could have shipped it back to Taurus and waited a few weeks for them to install the same low-quality parts. Decided otherwise.

Not sure this warning applies to all Tauruses--I have owned several others. But they appear to be cutting corners on the 1911.

tenusdad
November 20, 2010, 09:05 AM
I would pass on Taurus. Yes it will go bang when you pull the trigger, but these South American firearms have a spotty reputation' little pride in ownership and low resale value. There are many good American made 1911's on the market today. Long after the few dollars you saved are forgotten you will still have the gun. Save a little more money and get a good one. Colt is my favorite (I love the little dancing horse). There are better choices out there in my opinion.

ammo.crafter
November 20, 2010, 09:07 AM
If $$$ is a consideration, a used high quality 1911 is far better than a cheap new one. The voice of experience.

mrgoodwrench76
November 20, 2010, 09:09 AM
I too would pass on the Taurus. Ive had two and nothing but problems out of both. Springfield makes a nice fairly priced 1911.

Daryl
November 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
I would also pass on the Taurus. Take a look at the Springfield Armory offerings for a good 1911 at a decent price.

Daryl

Hoss Fly
November 20, 2010, 10:23 AM
All i can offer FIRST HAND (no hearsay/reading others opinions,ect)
is -
I have a freind that has one & LOVES it after more than 1,000 rds with no hiccups-
I have shot it on several occasions & was pretty impressed :cool:
Good luck on your choice-

Officer's Match
November 20, 2010, 10:47 AM
One of the best shooting 1911's I've had, and I've had more than a few (including some "name" semi-customs).

FreakGasolineFight
November 20, 2010, 11:01 AM
If you get a good Taurus it's a good Taurus, and it'll run forever, and if you get a bad one you'll have to send it back to the factory 186 times to get it to work, and it'll never work very well.

Point being, there are lots of great options from RIA and Springer to look at before you consider Taurus.

rigby06
November 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
I have several 1911's my latest purchase was a was a used Taurus PT1911 it was a good price and willing to try it, less then 50 rounds through it the saftey broke, I had it sent back to the factory, but have not shot it since. I am still willing to give Taurus another try and see. But I agree for the price I would check in to the new Remington 1911 or the Springfield Armory 1911, both are about the same price.

m.p.driver
November 20, 2010, 12:05 PM
Had a Taurus and as others said the safety broke and i always had FTF/FTE problems.Bought a Remington R1 and it has been super,it is just downright pretty.I have owned many military 1911's,Paras,Glocks and Smiths,all in .45,but that Taurus i just didn't have any confidence in it.

kylen
November 20, 2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info everyone ... I am steering towards a Magnum Research 1911 now.