PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on RIA compact?

TimNelson
November 17, 2010, 07:22 AM
I am considering getting the rock island tactical compact. Does anyone have any experience with them. I have heard good things but don't know of anyone with personal experience. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

elmata
November 17, 2010, 09:16 AM
I have the same 1911 but under a different name (High Standard Compact Crusader) and I love it. It will eat anything I have fed it with no issues so far its 100% reliable at 1600 rounds. No FTE / FTF has gone into battery every time. For the price you pay you get a very high value its not going to look like a $1000.00 1911 but I can guarantee you the one I own shoots just as good as one even for it only being a 3.5 inch gun. Slide and parts fit are tight you can shake it and it doesn't rattle like an AK. I have had SOME (not alot) of peening that was after 500 rounds and since then it has stopped so I take that as the gun fitting itself. I do plan on buying an RIA 1911 in the future between expensive guns but I can't stop looking at the S&W1911 right now.

I also forgot to add the firearm came with an ACT MAG that has been great although I did buy two more CMC shooting star mags for it with no issues other then the fact they stick out and I haven't found a nice base plate for them. Also I use a paper clip in the guide rod for disassembling it because it came with no tools only a manual, magazine, and a lock.

skoro
November 17, 2010, 07:26 PM
I've had a RIA 1911 compact for two years now. It had some minor teething problems at the beginning, but a quick trip back to their shop cured it completely. Since then it's been flawless. Very fun and a handy size. I have no problem recommending them. :)

Hoss Fly
November 17, 2010, 07:30 PM
I have the full size 1911A1 & like it-
I'm thinking hard on the compact as my next 45 so i'll bump & keep a eye on your thread :cool:

egor20
November 17, 2010, 07:42 PM
I have been carrying a Rock Island Armory 1911A1 CSP for the past 10 years, took about 100 rounds to break in. I carry it in a Glaco Avenger holster w 2 extra magazines. Nice balance of fire power and concealabilty

Good luck in you search :)

Chesster
November 17, 2010, 11:23 PM
Pardon the old fuzzy pic. My Colt and RIA TC both function flawlessly after break in.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m60/Chesster_photos/coltria006.jpg

howwie
November 18, 2010, 03:47 PM
GET ONE. I love this gun way too much. Bought mine off gunbroker a year or so ago and I have had zero problems with it. I don't carry it in public because I'm a tiny guy and it's pretty heavy. But it's my woods/truck/home defense gun. Loads of fun, pretty accurate, reliable and a great price. Only problems I had: only came with one mag. Didn't care for the grips, bought houges and made a world of difference. sights are color of the gun so I painted my front sight. Other than that, 100% great buy.

CainA
November 18, 2010, 03:59 PM
I have the plain Jane commander sized model and love it.

-Cain

1911 Mike
November 18, 2010, 06:08 PM
I've owned my Rock Island compact for almost two years. It is my favorite carry. It shoots great and 100% all business firearm. I have had some up grades done to it, grips front. & rear sites, changed the hammer and trigger(3.5lb. trigger pull) and also had a new finish added to it. The best part of the Rock Islands is the service you get from them. Call on Ivan Or Arnel and those guys bend over backwards to help you with any issues you might have with your firearm. Mine is used 5 days a week to protect my life on the job and 7 days a week to protect myself and family. Buy it, shoot it a lot and you;ll have a new best friend.And the like to multiply, one and the next thing you know, there's another one. I know, I now have 6. Have fun..........

KyJim
November 18, 2010, 06:56 PM
The Rock Island Armory 1911 is as good as any of the clones today. The current Springfield Armory clones are made in Brazil . . . Sir, you are wrong on both counts. The SA frame/slide are forged in Brazil of high quality steel. The parts are shipped to the U.S. where they are finished and assembled. Springfields are considered very high quality frame, slide, and barrel and are one of the base pistols most custom smiths will work on.

The RIA has a cast frame and the slide and barrel are made of "extruded steel." Extrusion is a process where metal (or plastic) is pushed through a mold, like a play dough mold. There are actually different kinds of steel that can be used in the extrusion method, including cast and powdered steel (that's where MIM comes from). I have yet to find out anything about the method or type of steel RIA uses.

I do know that the STI Spartan uses Armscor (which makes RIA) frame, slide, and barrels but they specify forged frame and barrel for durability, rather than the extruded ones.

Now, I am not putting down RIAs. They seem to be a good gun for the money and have excellent customer service. But, when you say they are as good as any clones on the market, you are dead wrong. Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and others all make clones. RIA should not even be mentioned in the same sentence which is why I started a new one.

ksblazer
November 19, 2010, 12:56 AM
I have a RIA Compact tactical and it's a great gun. Reliable, shoots straight and they are priced right.