PDA

View Full Version : Cooked the 1911 too long?

LinuxHack3r
November 14, 2010, 11:21 PM
Ok, so I've read several different posts about the method of detail stripping your 1911 (parkerized), coating it with vaseline, and then slowly "cooking" in in the oven. Well, I tried it today, and it smelled very bad. It came out with an orangish film on top of the parkerizing. I did it for 4 hours at 350F. I am now trying to scrape the film off with my fingernails...Perhaps the Vaseline had some sort of additive that burnt?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/120877/IMG_20101114_231625.jpg

LinuxHack3r
November 14, 2010, 11:25 PM
But frankly I just realized it is too useless to try and rub/scrape all of it off. This got me to thinking, as the film seems to come off with a finger (where reachable), what do you think the harm would be in boiling the frame and slide? I know that parkerizing will soak up water, but if I got the gun hot in water, and the let it boil for a while, then removed it and immediately soaked it down in oil, I don't see the harm in it. However, I also didn't see the harm in coating a gun in Vaseline and cooking it.:barf:

michael t
November 14, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have never heard of this Why are we cooking 1911's

LinuxHack3r
November 14, 2010, 11:31 PM
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/02/parkerizing-truth-vs-tales.html

scottl
November 14, 2010, 11:38 PM
4hrs @ 350 was probably too hot and too long.

Bill DeShivs
November 14, 2010, 11:47 PM
Soak the gun in mineral spirits or with WD 40. Scrub with a toothbrush, and spray it off with brake parts cleaner. Oil immediately.
Keep the Vaseline off the guns, and keep the guns out of the oven.

Venom1956
November 15, 2010, 12:02 AM

Thats my quote of the week.

Casimer
November 15, 2010, 12:24 AM
I'm guessing that it was cooked too hot, too fast, which burned the surface of the petroleum jelly rendering it to a film.

Had the film set-up like this while it was hot, or is this the result of it cooling down? Because I'm wondering if warming it up again will liquefy the film.

ethan95
November 15, 2010, 01:08 AM
+1:DKeep the Vaseline off the guns, and keep the guns out of the ovenThats my quote of the week. any-who im gonna agree with the wd-40/brake cleaner/oil method

Cool_Hand
November 15, 2010, 01:11 AM
really now?

Bill DeShivs
November 15, 2010, 01:32 AM
Mineral spirits/WD40 will break the cooked Vaseline down. Scrubbing helps. The brake parts cleaner will remove all traces-even in hard to scrub spots.

Amin Parker
November 15, 2010, 02:39 AM
Anyone try cooking a Glock?

Eagle0711
November 15, 2010, 03:03 AM
Looks like the springs were out, but can't tell for sure. If they were in, they will have to be replaced.

hardworker
November 15, 2010, 07:33 AM
Is 2 hours at 700 more just as effective at 4 hours at 350?

Makes you think.

grumpa72
November 15, 2010, 08:03 AM
I am guessing that you did this because the author of the blog is a metallurgist and has extensive training as a chemical engineer? Obviously, tongue in cheek, but the point is that his blog wasn't based on science or fact, apparently. Why did all those GIs just clean and oil their .45s over the decades and that was sufficient?

Back to your original post, I would try soaking in a bath of brake cleaner. If that doesn't work, I might step up to soaking in lacquer thinner for a bit. Oh, and leave the vaseline for your wife/girl friends makeup removal. :confused:

Hoss Fly
November 15, 2010, 08:03 AM
It came out with an orangish film on top of the parkerizing.

Gravy?

LinuxHack3r
November 15, 2010, 08:04 AM
Springs were out. It is a Springfield, but the serial number starts with NM so I believe it's a US gun;) Yeah my first thought when I saw it was "Well I've really did it this time. Went and turned a perfectly functioning gun into this". Will try the method using WD-40. Probably spray it down and then let it soak for a while in a plastic ziploc bag for a while then scrubbing it down:)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hoss Fly
November 15, 2010, 08:13 AM

Dont cook the Driod :eek:
We'll never find out how it comes out :confused:

VHinch
November 15, 2010, 10:31 AM
it is a Springfield, but the serial number starts with NM so I believe it's a US gun

All Springfield frames are from Imbel in Brazil. The NM serial prefix denotes guns that had final assembly and finishing done in the States, but they all start in the same place.

Leejack
November 15, 2010, 10:38 AM
Slow cooking in a crock pot is much more effective!:D

LinuxHack3r
November 15, 2010, 10:50 AM
Oh! I did not know that...but I just picked up some brake cleaner, and will be first trying WD-40 and then brake cleaner. I hope all goes well....it's just one of those things I'll be able to look back and go "what the hell was I thinking!".

brickeyee
November 15, 2010, 11:00 AM
While Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is a petroleum product, it is NOT grease.

FoxtrotRomeo
November 15, 2010, 11:07 AM
Slow cooking in a crock pot is much more effective!

Some one is going to take you seriously and we'll have a post about that too. :)

"what the hell was I thinking!"

IDK what were you thinking?

Sad... *facepalm*

I am guessing that you did this because the author of the blog is a metallurgist and has extensive training as a chemical engineer?

Everyone is a metallurgist and chemical engineer on the interwebs.

LinuxHack3r
November 15, 2010, 11:13 AM
While Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is a petroleum product, it is NOT grease.

Oh I gotcha! So I need to redo the experiment using actual grease;) I've got it soaking now in the brake cleaner, after a quick spray and scrub, it appears this is going to work moderately well. Thanks everyone. Perhaps I'll post an after cleanup pic;)

Leejack
November 15, 2010, 11:14 AM
In defense of the OP, I have read this shake and bake thing several times in the 1911 forums. There are even detailed instructions on how to do it.

I'm sure he was trying to make an improvement based on the gurus that proclaim that this baking is a good thing. I don't dispute it beacause I don't know from personal experience.

Me, I wouldn't do it. I think the Springer parked finish is cool just the way it is. A little holster wear adds character to a 1911 anyways.

woodguru
November 15, 2010, 11:18 AM
Where's the Chipotle, you forgot the Chipotle.

This is one warning you'll never see anywhere,

"Keep the vaseline off the gun and out of the oven"

LinuxHack3r
November 15, 2010, 11:27 AM
Soak the gun in mineral spirits or with WD 40. Scrub with a toothbrush, and spray it off with brake parts cleaner. Oil immediately.

I've incorporated this into my signature, I hope you do not mind;)

EarlFH
November 15, 2010, 11:37 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I can't believe anyone would listen to this nonsense!!! Fortunately it wasn't one of the plastic fantastics.

EarlFH

scottl
November 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
In defense of the OP, I have read this shake and bake thing several times in the 1911 forums. There are even detailed instructions on how to do it
It's done to condition the finish.It looks real good when properly done.Before pics would look grayish and dry,after would be a dark gray to black.
Most of threads I read said 200-250 degrees for 2 hours.And it helps to warm the frame and slide before applying the oil or vaseline.

ElrodCod
November 15, 2010, 12:00 PM
I can't believe someone was boneheaded enough to try that. It's a gun not a freakin' frying pan.

LinuxHack3r
November 15, 2010, 12:03 PM
Well, supposedly this is a somewhat common (though rare, oxymoron? Yes) practice that can be found on various forums and blogs.

LinuxHack3r
November 15, 2010, 12:22 PM
Ok, during lunch I scrubbed er down pretty well, so far the majority of the crud has came off. I left it soaking in a tupperware tub with the remaining brake cleaner. However, it doesn't fully cover the parts. Also, I got to thinking, out of curiosity, what happens when the brake cleaner evaporates from the unsubmerged part? Part of me is afraid that since, theoretically, the cleaner stripped all oil from the metal, could it theoretically rust quickly?

scottl
November 15, 2010, 01:26 PM
Your best bet is to search the 1911 forums for your answers

woodguru
November 15, 2010, 06:43 PM
.....and she doesn't even like guns. :D

Her first response was to say "wow, a turkey doesn't even cook for four hours at 350".

She wanted to suggest wrapping it in bacon and slow cooking it, but what does she know about cooking a .45 frame?

Oh yeah, apparently as much as we do. :rolleyes:

I do know this, metal with brake cleaner will rust before your eyes, don't soak it in it with some of it exposed to air. One person already said it, apply oil immediately after using the brake cleaner.

LinuxHack3r
November 15, 2010, 07:11 PM
Well I guess I need to do something about that when I get home...because that's exactly what it's doing right now...hopefully It will be ok:)

Dfariswheel
November 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
There were three mistakes made here:

1. You baked at far too high a temperature.
2. You baked way too long.
3. You used Vaseline instead of COSMOLINE.
The baking trick was used with Cosmoline which supposedly would form a baked-on layer in the rough parkerized finish.

tipoc
November 15, 2010, 09:11 PM
From Xavier's blog...

Several years ago, in 2003, I purchased a new Parkerized Springfield GI45.
I modified it to more closely approximate a M1911A1, but I also did something else. I disassembled the pistol, coated each part completely with Vaseline petroleum jelly, and I placed them all on a pizza pan. I then placed them in the oven at 350 degrees for half a day. The result was the pores of the Parkerizing opened up to accept the heavy lubricant. Once cooled, and totally impregnated with grease, the Parkerizing leeched grease for a month afterwards. Honestly, it was pretty nasty. I was halfway expecting that, which is why I used clean, clear Vaseline instead of black moly grease.

Xavier is a nice guy and often posts useful information but not this time. His information on parkerizing is off base and what he's trying to accomplish here seems an odd thing to do and an odd way to go about doing it and is definitely based on false information.

If you read about something on the internet that you think you'd like to try out well first check out more than one source for it. If it's a useful technique you will find out that many others know of it and can testify that it works.

What was done likely won't hurt the gun but it don't help it any either.

tipoc

LinuxHack3r
November 15, 2010, 09:42 PM
Well, the brake cleaner was working very well in removing the film, most of the gun looks like it originally did. However, I do not have time to get the nooks and crannies and everything in between. So, in my absolute best effort to preserve the gun, I placed the entire frame and slide in a tupperware container and it is now completely submerged in 10W-40 motor oil (it was cheap and I had a lot on hand). I do not want the gun to rust. It may sit in the tupperware for weeks, but I will eventually get down to completely "fixing it". Any oppositions to the motor oil? I figure it cannot hurt worse than Vasoline;) And if it protects the metal from rusting, that is all I ask. I will eventually dedicate an entire day that I do not have work/class to completely remove the film, and then degrease it appropriately, and then actually use a gun oil and only a gun oil and never again Vaseline to oil/protect the gun.

michael t
November 15, 2010, 09:53 PM
This is one warning you'll never see anywhere,

"Keep the vaseline off the gun and out of the oven"

Better watch Ruger night realized they missed something and add to their book on the barrel .

Whats next, How to cook a glock for turkey day :D

gyvel
November 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
Whats next, How to cook a glock for turkey day:D

Highly appropriate since most Glocks are turkeys.:D

berettaprofessor
November 15, 2010, 10:14 PM
There were three mistakes made here:
1. You baked at far too high a temperature.
2. You baked way too long.
3. You used Vaseline instead of COSMOLINE.

Correction: FOUR mistakes; the OP believed that a bunch of Internet wackos had more than a single brain cell apiece and followed their advice.

Next time, everyone, please try and remember that despite what you read on the Net, Elvis is (probably) not alive and working the night shift in a New Orleans McDonalds, and that JFK was really not killed by two-headed MILFS who then cloned him (probably) (wink, wink).

stevelyn
November 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
Why not just Duracoat it?

KyJim
November 16, 2010, 12:44 AM
She wanted to suggest wrapping it in bacon and slow cooking it, but what does she know about cooking a .45 frame?
Everything goes better with bacon. :)

FrankenMauser
November 16, 2010, 02:24 AM
Better watch Ruger night realized they missed something and add to their book on the barrel .

Did I miss something here?

I cannot comprehend the meaning of that collection of words.

(This isn't any kind of comedic attack. I really want to know what the meaning is.)

Leejack
November 16, 2010, 07:39 AM
Correction: FOUR mistakes; the OP believed that a bunch of Internet wackos had more than a single brain cell apiece and followed their advice.

Professor, I just choked on my coffee!:D LOL!

alloy
November 16, 2010, 08:08 AM
Did the other side with the grill marks clean up any easier?

cougar gt-e
November 16, 2010, 08:46 AM

Makes you think.

So.... If I'm in a hurry should I use 1400F for 30 minutes or 2800F for 15 minutes?;)

The original topic reminds me of those words of sage advice from that scholar and statesman, Obi-wan Kenobi to Han Solo;

"Who's the bigger fool? The fool or the fool following the fool?"

LinuxHack3r
November 16, 2010, 10:04 AM
Well personally I just realized how

"If it ain't broke it don't need a fixen" really is...

Mike Irwin
November 16, 2010, 10:12 AM
You need to cook for at least 6 to 8 hours, at roughly 250, to get it fork tender.

To be honest, I've never heard of this.

The ONLY time I've ever heard of putting a gun, or gun parts, in the oven for a finish treatment was a baking lacquer.

dgludwig
November 16, 2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by michael t

Did I miss something here?

I cannot comprehend the meaning of that collection of words.

I think michael was just being facetious about the warning labels most manufactures feel compelled to stamp on their guns. I think Ruger paved the way after the beginning of 1978. I don't blame Ruger for the now ubiquitous "watch out!" verbiage; I blame our sue-happy society that tries to obviate taking personal responsibility for stupid behavior.

Baba Louie
November 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
I love some of the comments to date... At least you remembered to remove the ammunition from the handgun prior to the heat treatment. ;)

I remember reading Xavier's blog on the subject at hand and was wondering who'd actually attempt to duplicate the experiment and what their results would be. Now I know. (better you than me Linuxhack3r)

I also know why my Dad kept all of his handguns cleaned, oiled and placed in oily old discolored white sox, in his sock drawer, far away from the stove/oven.

Kreyzhorse
November 16, 2010, 11:21 AM

Sound, sound advice on all fronts.

what do you think the harm would be in boiling the frame and slide?

Guns and ovens just don't mix. I'd stay clear of the boiling method if I were you.

Hoss Fly
November 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
This thread has turned a little silly :p

Might do a 45 bar b que this weekend :cool:

Sgt.Saputo
November 16, 2010, 11:40 AM
Everyone is a metallurgist and chemical engineer on the interwebs

Actually not all, I have met some CIA-black-ops-PMC-Navy SEALs-private-sniper-AC-130 pilots, who were very knowledgeable!

I would recommend rubbing your 1911 down with a southern style rub and allowing it to soak in for about 4-6 hours. I would then soak our 1911 in Sweet Baby Ray's honey BBQ for another 3 hours. Then allow to slow-grill for around an hour. Serve with a deep fried magazine if you have one lying around.

Have a tasty and happy thanksgiving!:D

BombthePeasants
November 16, 2010, 11:50 AM
To the original poster: I too, have read Xavier's post on the subject. I later found another reputable blogger, whom I hold in high esteem, who tried this process. See here: http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2009/03/cz-82-parkerizing-part-3.html

I think the theory is sound, as Sailor Curt points out in this article, but he too felt that the heat was too high. If and when you get it cleaned up, give it another go, by all means. Don't let these naysayers get you down.

I personally have not tried it yet, but when I get my blasting cabinet built (I found some great plans online), I will try it on my M1 Carbine, and perhaps one of my 1911's when its finish is good and worn.

Jim Watson
November 16, 2010, 11:54 AM
Very funny.
I understand the intent was to get the effect of long term storage in cosmoline with a quickie DIY. Oven thermostats are not research grade instruments, the OP's might have been running hotter than desired, which I think was still hotter than necessary.

Jeff Cooper mentioned "oil buffing" of Parkerizing but without detail. Had to have been something simple a soldier could do with GI supplies in off duty time to make his weapon look better.

tipoc
November 16, 2010, 12:24 PM
Just to remind folks of why the gun was baked in vaseline in the first place...

Someone at some point realized that it is hard to duplicate the color tones and sometimes slight texture of older parkerized G.I. 1911s and that the modern made parkerized guns don't look the same as the old GI guns. They got to speculating about this and came up with the idea that because some of these military 1911s were coated in cosmoline, wrapped in waxed paper and stored in wooden crates in warehouses that somehow the temperature in the storage depots or armories interacted with the cosmoline and the steel and the parkerizing to give the guns a certain tone.

Interesting idea, impossible to prove, likely not true and on the face of it goofy.

But they pressed ahead anyway. They tried to come up with a way to duplicate the tones of the older G.I. guns at home using vaseline in their ovens. Well a fella has to have a hobby and who am I to dis science and experimentation?

Cot began parkerizing 1911s almost 100 years ago now. During WWI and WWII and in between Colt and others also used the finish on the guns. Over the decades the formula for the chemicals used changed some. The temperature used in the process also changed. The military did not care about slight variations in color or tone. The finish on guns that left the vat when the chemicals were fresh looked a bit different from the ones that left 5,000 guns later. Etc., etc.

The finished guns were wrapped up and shipped off. Some sat in their cosmoline for days, or weeks and some for years.

So there were a lot of variables involved and it seems to me that singling out how long they sat in crates in a warehouse as the key element is a heck of a stretch. It also can't be verified. Did the guns that sat in cosmoline for a week have a different tone from ones that sat for two months? How warm or cold did the warehouse have to get for it to have an effect? Well you can get my point.

Some one came up with this theory and it has spread on the internet. Without citing a source it made it's way into the wikipedia entry on parkerizing.

Over the last decade or two some of the formulas used for parkerizing GI guns decades ago are no longer used. The chemicals are hazardous and more expensive to dispose of safely so other chemicals are used. This is a big reason that parkerized guns today do not look like the older GI guns.

tipoc

Edward429451
November 16, 2010, 12:26 PM
After reading the blog, I think it's clear that Xavier has a heck of a sense of humor. I tried to see the serious side of it...and I could not! :D

My sympathies for those of you with little sense of humor who ran to the oven with your piece...really.

LinuxHack3r
November 16, 2010, 12:35 PM
Well, someone above nailed it, the main reasons I tried it are:

1) I figured it wouldn't hurt a thing
2) I wanted to see what would happen in terms of appearance/durability. It's the same frame, some stuff just needs to come off;)

hardworker
November 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
Maybe I'll ask my grandma for her 1911-squash casserole recipe.

FoxtrotRomeo
November 16, 2010, 02:08 PM
Ok I might as well play along on the reproduction finish idea.

One of the easiest to likely reproduce is one made by Remington Rand.

The DuLite Finish. It was described in a RR 1911 history sight as a Blued over sandblasting finish (Source: http://www.coolgunsite.com/images/1911/1943%20rr%2098xxx/1943_r5.jpg)

Another one is the grey parkerizing. This type is known as Zinc Phosphating. The blackish parkerizing is Manganese Phosphating. As others have said, some of the chemicals may have changed for either or both processes, however I don't know because I've never concerned myself with how closely they look to the originals.

For more info on the Remington Rand 1911A1s Here is where I found all my RR info: http://www.coolgunsite.com/images/rem%20rands%20group/remrandstory.htm

tipoc
November 16, 2010, 02:10 PM
After reading the blog, I think it's clear that Xavier has a heck of a sense of humor. I tried to see the serious side of it...and I could not!

Read it and the discussion again. He is serious.

He's also wrong on a number of particulars but that is another discussion.

There is no mystery to parkerizing. There is no mystery to how to prevent a gun from rusting either.

If a fella wants to experiment with stripping the finish off of their gun and putting a new finish on at home that can be a worthwhile experiment.

But baking a gun in vaseline in the oven in order to get the grease from the vaseline to bake into into the finish I don't see the point of. Lube your piece properly and as needed and it will not rust. Old school parkerizing was not all that durable nor all that protective. It was cheap and fast.

tipoc

woodguru
November 16, 2010, 02:25 PM
Seriously....

It helps to know what the desired effect is. You ever see a well seasoned iron skillet? That is from oil being heated to a film on the metal. It's actually a pretty impervious coating if it's done lightly. The intent is to get the darker more lustrous look than the parkerized finish has. Knowing that it now remains to use the temperatures and times recommended to achieve that effect. It's heat more than time, 400 to 450 for an hour should do it. :D

In cleaning the apparently botched attempt you missed your basic oven cleaning skills, easyoff will cut through whatever baked on mess you made. :cool:

dgludwig
November 16, 2010, 02:59 PM
It helps to know what the desired effect is. You ever see a well seasoned iron skillet?

So, bacon grease instead of Vaseline? :confused:

alloy
November 16, 2010, 03:25 PM
More like peanut oiling the gun in a hot WOK. Makes sense.

Klingon00
November 16, 2010, 04:22 PM
If the theory is sound and I think it has some merit from the standpoint of getting a thicker jelly to soak into the textured surface, I would expect to follow a recipe that is closer to the theory of storage in a hot warehouse. Do not exceed 250° f if you want to experiment. I think this should be a sufficient temperature to "melt" the petroleum jelly as well as "season" it like a cast iron skillet. I'd make sure you use a thin coating and wipe off the excess or pooling will occur and you will get just what I see in the picture, which is not as hard and will scrape off easily.

1911s are made of metal, metal that can be heat treated to various hardness just like a high quality knife. I wouldn't subject it to very high temperatures for fear of ruining that hardness/structure in the metal. Look for peening on the slide after shooting where the slide stop locks as this will likely be the first sign you have ruined the hardness of your slide.

Bill DeShivs
November 16, 2010, 04:30 PM
Woodguru,
Stick to wood.
450 degrees is in tempering territory.
And Easyoff will remove the original Parkerizing.

markj
November 16, 2010, 05:01 PM
Get a deep fryer, add a good 20 weight oil and set it to 350, fry for 30 min, drain salt and enjoy :)

I thought parkerized was a good long lasting protective finish?

tipoc
November 16, 2010, 05:12 PM
We have one fella say 250 degrees for an hour or so. Another says 250 for a couple of hours.

Xavier in his blog says 350 degrees for "half a day". Does he mean 12 hours? Being as how 12 is half of 24. Or does 12 hours make a day and he means half of that? Or is it 4 hours being half of a regular shift.

Another says higher temps of 400 to 450 for an hour will do.

While still another says try to get close to the temp of a hot warehouse and recommends 250 degrees (which sounds like a warehouse I want to stay away from). Also makes me wonder what a un-heated ware house in Alaska gets to.

When will this lasagna be done? When will my gun be seasoned?

tipoc

Mike Irwin
November 16, 2010, 05:14 PM
Thinking about it some more...

Is this the firearms equivalent of "Hey! Hold mah beer and watch this!"

In other words, instead of a Darwin award candidate, a Browning award candidate? :p

surbat6
November 16, 2010, 05:41 PM
Many chuckles in this thread!
The link seems to describe seasoning a frying pan rather than getting a period-correct finish on a 1911A1.
He also mentions, IIRC, that parkerizing rusts, unless the oil is baked in. MYSTERY SOLVED! That's why my drill instructor (Parris Island 1970) made us bake our marinated M14's...NOT! The reason a soldier's (or Marine's)parkerized weapon stays free of rust is that he'll be in the hurt locker if he's caught with a rusty rifle or pistol. The solution is (typical of the conservative military mind), clean the weapon and keep it clean. If the weapon is to be stored for a long time, the typical way of preserving it is to submerge the (cleaned) weapon in liquified cosmoline. That's why we spend hours cleaning weapons and magazines that were stored for years or decades (that or the cleaning was done by the importer so we wouldn't get our little hands greasy. Eeww).

Hoss Fly
November 16, 2010, 05:51 PM
Is this the firearms equivalent of "Hey! Hold mah beer and watch this!"

I love this thread :D

TheGoldenState
November 16, 2010, 05:55 PM
Guns and ovens just don't mix. I'd stay clear of the boiling method if I were you.

Actually, ive talked to several people on TFL, who exclusively clean their guns by putting the parts in boiling water. Ive never done it, but thinking about-there shouldn't be any issue.

Hilarious thread by the way:D

KyJim
November 16, 2010, 06:03 PM
Actually, ive talked to several people on TFL, who solely clean their guns by putting the parts in boiling water. If they were all that smart, they would be over here instead. :D Sorry, couldn't help myself. I do occasionally post over there but not real often.

KyJim
November 16, 2010, 06:04 PM

Makes you think.Actually, I think the OP should just microwave it for about five minutes. :D

Hoss Fly
November 16, 2010, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Actually, ive talked to several people on TFL, who solely clean their guns by putting the parts in boiling water.
If they were all that smart, they would be over here instead. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I do occasionally post over there but not real often.

I thought we WERE at TFL:confused:

shortwave
November 16, 2010, 07:16 PM
All this heating up and cooling down, soaking in oils and vaselines...

I can see the making of a damascus 1911.

stevieboy
November 16, 2010, 07:31 PM
I've been scratching my head while I read this thread and wondering what the hell is going on here? I own a whole bunch of handguns, I've never baked any of them in the oven, and none of them are showing even the slightest sign of rust. I keep them clean, dry, and occasionally, very lightly oiled and that's it. Cooking them in the oven covered with grease or vasoline strikes me as flat out insane.

TheGoldenState
November 16, 2010, 07:40 PM
If they were all that smart, they would be over here instead. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I do occasionally post over there but not real often.

UHHHH, was someone forum surfing and forget where they were for a second?:eek:

LMAO!

adjc
November 16, 2010, 07:44 PM
gotta give the ole boy (OP) a big pat on the back for havin' thick skin and hanging in there. been some funny stuff said here! ;)

RJay
November 16, 2010, 08:02 PM
I have to admit, I've been around the world twice, been to two county fairs and watched a goat roping contest but I have never heard of baking my firearms in Vaseline. That has got to be one of the oddest things I have ever heard of.:eek:

Texasred
November 16, 2010, 08:44 PM
I think everyone should give the guy a break, he fessed up to his mistake,:o I bet in the future he will do a little more research before cooking a gun again.

Edward429451
November 16, 2010, 08:45 PM
My understanding is that this treatment can also be a fix for Glocks. Any Glock given this treatment will never KB. :D

Dr. Strangelove
November 16, 2010, 09:14 PM
With Thanksgiving coming up, I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone and deep fry all my pistols in peanut oil right after the turkey bird comes out...:cool:

Wadda ya think, ten minutes a pound?

S&W-Keeper
November 16, 2010, 09:43 PM
This thread has made me laugh more than I have in a long time. I had tears running down my cheeks.Everybody knows that you only put vaseline on a H&K.No body puts it on a 1911.What were you thinking.

Mike Irwin
November 16, 2010, 09:43 PM
http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/julia_child.jpg

BONJOUR!

I'm Julia Child and this is Mastering the Art of French Gun Ownership!

I have just shot this lovely bird and now I am going to stuff it with my favorite oiled .45! We shall then bake at 700 degrees for about two hours!

How do we know it's done? We leave a bullet in the chamber! When the bullet blows the bird's ass off, VOILA! Dinner is served with a side of hot lead!

And your favorite .45 has that wonderful house on Christmas morning smell for your next pin shoot!

You'll be the envy of Clem, Cleetus, and all the rest of the slack-jawed yokels!

Bon Appetite!

Nanuk
November 16, 2010, 09:58 PM
I think it should have been deep fried in lard.

The Book
November 16, 2010, 10:14 PM
This is cracking me up LOL Had to share with a buddy he told me I BS til I copied and show this to him

Texasred
November 16, 2010, 10:50 PM
I think it should have been deep fried in lard.

Now this makes sense :)

FreakGasolineFight
November 16, 2010, 11:00 PM
The very definition of an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" moment.

Also, those baked-on finishes tend to work quite a bit better if the gun is marinated first. I, myself, prefer to make my marinade out of Italian dressing, cajun pepper, black pepper, and jalapenos. Try frying instead of baking for that delicate golden-brown restaurant look. Serve with a Black Cossack and a smile.

LinuxHack3r
November 16, 2010, 11:13 PM
Personally, I think all of these replies are hilarious. However, just know that I did read on several places on the internet about this and considered it for several months. This weekend I shot my .45 and then while detail stripping it afterwords, I figured "Hey I'll go ahead and give it a try what can it hurt"? The main reason I wanted to try it was I figured it'd cause the oil to penetrate deeper into the frame and slide that it would if you simply applied it normally. Would it really make a difference? No, not at all. But I just wanted to give it a go and see what would happen. Now I get to spend some time fixing it;)

FreakGasolineFight
November 16, 2010, 11:26 PM
I know. Meaning no offense with my post, I'm sure. It's exactly the same sort of thing I'd do (and do pretty regularly) though I'd have to say I'd be way too chicken to stick one of my precious guns into an oven.

BILLDAVE
November 16, 2010, 11:54 PM
I don't know what to say! This is the wierdest thread.

woodguru
November 17, 2010, 03:25 AM
YEP!

My wife innocently asked if I've ever baked one of my guns and I about died as I said "Hell No". She said she thought it sounded pretty weird the more she thought about it.

Mike Irwin
November 17, 2010, 06:35 AM
As I said previously, you can purchase cans of baking lacquers from Brownell's that you cure in the... oven.

ostrobothnian
November 17, 2010, 06:41 AM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/g1magicchef002.jpg

I had to talk down the G1 from committing suicide last month. I feel your pain bro. He just wanted to be like DiGornios frozen after all.

ElrodCod
November 17, 2010, 09:14 AM
This business about the oil "soaking deeper into the slide and frame" is nonsense. It'steel, not a sponge. The parkerized surface has a texture due to it's crystaline nature but it's not porous in the sense that anything can "soak in" to any degree. Unlike the OP's head, it's only a few thousandths of an inch thick. Wiping it with an oily rag will suffice.

mrgoodwrench76
November 17, 2010, 09:50 AM
I have always been taught that all metal is porous to an extent. Its porousity is determined by the type of metal, mixture of different metals, and the rate at which it is heated and cooled. Parkerized metal is most definately porous and WILL retain oil. It is my belief that had the heat been a lot lower, similar to the effects of a crock pot (hot warehouse) and the correct petroleum product been used (cosmolene) then the results would have been more desireable. If you want to be like the rest of the sheep in the herd, then by all means take their sound advice and clean and oil it. Personally, I like to find my own way and would not be afraid (once properly cleaned) to make a second, more educated attempt. Besides, from prior experience with numerous C&R rifles, I rather enjoy the aroma of hot cosmolene.

Mike Irwin
November 17, 2010, 10:03 AM
As I understand it, with a parkerized gun its not the gun metal that is porous, it's the phosphate finish itself. I believe that the parkerizing solution etches the surface metal of the gun and allows the phosphate to adhere better, though.

MLeake
November 17, 2010, 10:23 AM
Experimentation and application is well and good. You are free to do what you want with your stuff.

But... at least one of the forum members who posted in this thread (Bill DeShivs) actually is a metallurgist. So, when he says that 1) heat treatment won't really do what some people seem to think it will do, and (more importantly) 2) that 450 is getting into the tempering range... it might be a good idea to avoid experimenting in those directions.

Jim Watson
November 17, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have always been taught that all metal is porous to an extent.

My limited exposure to metallurgy in college and industry taught me that firearms alloys are not porous on the scale of hydrocarbon lubricant molecules. It takes severe conditions to drive some carbon and nitrogen atoms into the crystal structure for case hardening and Tenifer. There just isn't any place in there for long chain dino dookey. Of course a surface texture like engine turning or phosphate treatment can retain lubes, but that is not the same as porosity in the bulk steel.

mrgoodwrench76
November 17, 2010, 11:33 AM
Your exactly right Mleake. The temp used was waaay too high which is why I suggested the lower temp. And Jim is correct as well but were not talking about the gun metal in particular but the phosphate finish correct? Is the porousity of the phosphate not in excess of the molecule size of 'dino dookey' (I like that). If your trying to simulate a finish created by a cosmoline storage process, then why not simulate the process? Seems logical.

jborushko
November 17, 2010, 11:40 AM
sorry if somebody said this already, i scanned threw the pages pretty fast...

why not just media blast the original coating off?

i didnt make a joke... looks like all the best ones where all ready taken!

dgludwig
November 17, 2010, 12:03 PM
Trying to fire a pistol fresh out of the oven would give a new meaning to the term "limp-wristing". :eek:

tipoc
November 17, 2010, 12:17 PM
If your trying to simulate a finish created by a cosmoline storage process, then why not simulate the process? Seems logical.

Yeah but keep in mind that the idea that long term storage in cosmoline added something to the finish either in lasting looks or in lube qualities or both is a wild guess. It's a hunch, speculation. There is no reason to think that it did and plenty of reason to believe other factors were involved.

tipoc

blackhawk45
November 17, 2010, 12:28 PM
No comment,wthwyt ?

Casimer
November 17, 2010, 01:49 PM
If your trying to simulate a finish created by a cosmoline storage process, then why not simulate the process? Seems logical.

The Cosmoline theory has actually been put to rest, as far as I know. The finish that people attributed to it hasn't been found among other stocks of parkerized firearms from the period that were stored similarly. There are collectors communities that have pursued this question intently, because people want to be able to obtain realistic reproductions of this finish for restoring period pieces. The latest that I've heard is that they've tracked it down to chemicals that were used in the oil curing process. Changes in this process seem to track changes in finishes, so it's a more plausible explanation.

What the OP had done isn't unheard of, it's a technique that's been used by restorers. But he'd gone about it the wrong way. And I don't know that it would have been worth it if it had worked. Cooking in Cosmoline is intended to affect the color of the piece, and give it that velum-like surface that you associate w/ old armory pieces. But you can get a nice surface on parkerization simply by rubbing it with a thin layer of grease or oil. If you're not trying to recreate a specific finish, then there's not much benefit.

Klingon00
November 17, 2010, 02:39 PM
Another guy who puts his guns in the oven:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu39_2.htm

This time he's curing with DuraCoat finish. He says 200° f for 2 hours.

DuraCoat's own advertising says: "Preheating, baking and blasting are not required." But they also have products that do require it:

"DuraBake has the same properties as DuraCoat but is baked (uses heat to cure) instead of adding hardener as you do with DuraCoat. DuraBake is available in easy to use aerosol spray cans and in about a dozen of the more popular colors."

http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

dgludwig
November 17, 2010, 03:03 PM
DuraBake also recommends shaking the pistol before baking it. :)

Uncle Malice
November 17, 2010, 03:23 PM
Anyone try cooking a Glock?

I cook my glock every time i detail strip and scrub with simple green... rinse it in the sink... bake at 200F for an hour.... will evaporate all water. :)

Actually... that's what i do with every gun.

KyJim
November 17, 2010, 05:26 PM
I thought we WERE at TFLI think he meant to refer to THR.

Hoss Fly
November 17, 2010, 06:50 PM
Quote:
I thought we WERE at TFL
I think he meant to refer to THR.

Good- I get confused easily these days :o

Hoss Fly
November 17, 2010, 07:23 PM
sorry if somebody said this already, i scanned threw the pages pretty fast...

why not just media blast the original coating off?

I might have- mabe another post but reguardless a good solution IMO-
Best base for a new finish with the exception of gloss bluing -again IMO :rolleyes:

tipoc
November 17, 2010, 08:19 PM
This thread has not been about baked on finishes such as Dura Coat.

tipoc

Hoss Fly
November 17, 2010, 08:30 PM
This thread has not been about baked on finishes such as Dura Coat.

Aint been about cookin a Glock in a wok either but its gettin there :rolleyes:

tipoc
November 17, 2010, 09:40 PM
Aint been about cookin a Glock in a wok either but its gettin there

Yeah that's true...

I cook my glock every time i detail strip and scrub with simple green... rinse it in the sink... bake at 200F for an hour.... will evaporate all water.

Actually... that's what i do with every gun.

A fella can't stop a river from risin'. :)

tipoc

Hoss Fly
November 17, 2010, 09:41 PM
A fella can't stop a river from risin'.

tipoc

Aint that a fact :p

berettaprofessor
November 18, 2010, 04:32 PM
A Glock in a Wok was left on a rock.
I came upon the Glock in the Wok.
Burnt my hand trying to UnWok the Glock.
Got over my Shock and picked up the Glock with my hand in a Sock
Walked on over to the Dock on the Loch.
Down the skyWalk
With the Glock from the Wok in a Sock.
Tried to Fire the Glock from the Wok at a Flock,
Of gamecock,
But since the Glock from the Wok was still in the Sock
and hot from the Wok,
I missed, and was Mocked by a Polack
In a Smock with a Mohawk
Who Walked like a Peacock,
and Squalked "I left that Glock in a Wok on the Rock,
Because a Glock is a plastic Block and a Crock
of Crap. And you're a lousy shot, Doc."

(Just discovered that the Internet contains a rhyming dictionary; and that said dictionary is more dangerous than a platoon of guys trying to cook their vaseline-coated guns.)

L2R
November 18, 2010, 05:36 PM
I am relatively new on this site. I scanned over this title a hundred times thinking it surely was a joke or exaggeration. Good god, what will people do out of curiousity or boredom.

I now live in the south where we fry everthing from twinkies to snicker bars to pure butter sticks and sell them at the fair. and as I read these posts, I was LMAO and then sure as the world turns, it too was discussed. :D You can't make this up or beat the comebacks either.

I am curioius now if anyone knows just what type of steel this is. As stated earlier, not all steels can be heat treated or case hardened. All have pores that could be filled,.

If you are looking for a certain look or just experimenting, then good for you-who knows, you might come up with something cool or GI antique.

If you are looking for anti rust qualities nickel chrome plating is commonly used in industrially with great success and it can be added in increments of .ooo2 of an inch up to .002. .ooo3 to .ooo5 wouldn't affect your action or clearance.
It wears very well and somewhere around 55 rc but I would want all moving parts done not one with plating rubbing up against something soft. Not very expensive either. There is a flat fee so all parts of a couple of 1 or 2 guns could be done at one time fairly cheap.

If you want a different look, titanium coatings are available and even harder. You commonly see gold plated drills that are titanium nitrate coated. They now come in other colors as well. Again not unreasonable in cost.

I know no one particularly cares about this but building up my posts as eventually I might cook something and then need to sell it. gotta go baste my Remington 710-what have it got to lose.

coolbreezy
November 18, 2010, 06:24 PM
Oven roasted springfields for thanksgiving...mmmmmm..

Daryl
November 18, 2010, 09:34 PM
Slow cooking in a crock pot is much more effective!

Ah, yes. First, bring the pot of Vaseline to s slow, rolling boil...

Hoss Fly
November 18, 2010, 09:36 PM
Ah, yes. First, bring the pot of Vaseline to s slow, rolling boil...

Thats how i start the rue for my gumbo :cool:

FoxtrotRomeo
November 18, 2010, 10:34 PM
Hoss you're the man, I love Cajun food. :)

LinuxHack3r
November 26, 2010, 07:11 PM
Ok, I dug this toy out just now. I am going to spray it heavily down with break cleaner. I bought to cans of the stuff. Theoretically I'm going to let it sit in this stuff for several days. As long as the parts are completely submerged, do I need to worry about rust?

Hoss Fly
November 26, 2010, 08:00 PM
After what its been thru several days in brake cleaner shud be a day at the beach :cool:
But no, it wont rust - deteriate maybe, but not rust :)

Bill DeShivs
November 26, 2010, 08:45 PM
If you bought spray brake cleaner, it will evaporate very quickly. I have only used the spray.

LinuxHack3r
November 26, 2010, 09:57 PM
This is it. I however placed the parts in a plastic container with a lid, sprayed all of both cans into the container, and put a lid on the container. Hopefully that will combat evaporation.

44 AMP
November 26, 2010, 10:14 PM
Why Lord, is this one still going on?:D

And since Christmas is coming up...

Springfields roasting on an open fire....
Les Baer nipping at your nose....
little tiny Glocks, with their sights all a glow....

Stop the madness!!!!:D

Bill DeShivs
November 26, 2010, 11:56 PM
"Keep the brake cleaner out of plastic containers."
New motto.
It will dissolve plastic.
Perhaps you should let someone else fix your gun.

LinuxHack3r
November 26, 2010, 11:59 PM
I knew it'd dissolve plastics, but I am not afraid it's going to happen overnight (unless I should be).

Bill DeShivs
November 27, 2010, 12:07 AM
You should be.

KyJim
November 27, 2010, 12:56 AM
This could be the perfect marriage of steel and Tupperware in a gun. We await with bated breath.

LinuxHack3r
November 27, 2010, 01:17 AM
Ok, so I scrubbed and scrubbed and then put it back together. It functions correctly dry firing. Next time I head to the range I'll put some rounds through it. I expect a fully recovery;)

P.S. I soaked the gun in oil. Like, the kind for guns;)

TheGoldenState
November 27, 2010, 01:20 AM
P.S. I soaked the gun in oil. Like, the kind for guns

Ahh damn i read the first few words, and got excited, i was going to go with "Vegetable or Olive?":D

Hoss Fly
November 27, 2010, 08:06 AM
We await with bated breath.

You mean BAKED breath dont you :D

barry
November 27, 2010, 08:44 AM
we usually soot our turkeys with glocks & then stuff it with vas.&1911's & cook till christmas at 700

imthegrumpyone
November 28, 2010, 10:42 AM
136 post on cooking a gun, :confused::(

Hoss Fly
November 28, 2010, 11:10 AM
136 post on cooking a gun,

137 :p

pelo801
November 28, 2010, 11:39 AM
ok, so here i am with my cz52 in hand.................thinking about pre-heating the oven. nah, i don't think so. but seriously, Linux, i hope everything works with your gun.

L2R
November 28, 2010, 11:39 AM
I rarely get to say I am a newbie anymore but I am one here.

I finally stopped to read almost this whole thread last Sunday. It is pure entertainment. 10 people laughing themselves to the floor while 10 others defending the concept albeit the recipie was poorly executed. And all of this interwinded and unravelling simultaineously. (I had to stop reading to wipe the tears away when I got to the 'glock in the wok'.

I don't know the author, he is sincere and seemingly oblivious to the ribbing he gets, all the while, focusing on recovering his beloved 1911.

Surely even a grumpy:)butt can find humor and a bit of themselves in this poor guys delimma.

Haven't we all attempted to improve something only to wallow in our own folly and wist we had left well enough alone. I am grateful to have seen this as I reminder of my own limitations. I treasure my 1911 and vow to leave well enough alone.

44 AMP
November 28, 2010, 12:29 PM
I know the red wine with meat, white wine with fish thing, but is it ok to serve brown gravy on stainless?

And is it fondue for polymer? Or something else?

Marinara for a Beretta, Sauerbraten for a Glock? Borscht for a Makarov?

Help me out here, :D!

Slamfire
November 28, 2010, 01:01 PM

It's like a light bulb has gone off in my head. This could be a new philosophy of life. Very profound if you think about it.

L2R
November 28, 2010, 01:03 PM
too funny. STOP!

ok, I will add one altho' not as funny esp. since I own one.

re-fried remington. (no matter how you package the safety, it gonna stink)

S&W-Keeper
November 28, 2010, 05:35 PM
This is getting me hungry, I think that I will cook up a few onions and mushrooms with my little LCP.I am trying to cut back.

44 AMP
November 29, 2010, 02:30 AM
marinade of Mauser...

sautee of Sig Sauer...

Sig on the Barbie?

I don't know why I keep coming back here, I was on my way to the kitchen, ..er gun safe....

Webley with Worchestershire sauce?

And don't forget the Heinz 357!

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!:D

egor20
November 29, 2010, 02:40 AM

I'd love to get that on a T shirt, but I'm afraid some of my barn hands would look at me REAL funny :D
and the worst thing is I ride English on occasion :eek:

viciouskitty
November 29, 2010, 10:22 AM
This thread is awesome only rarely do i burst into spontanious laughter at the comments on the forum, but right now it just happened. To the op i hope you get your 1911 back in order im sure your not the first one to listen to something on the internet that didnt work out :D

Dr. Strangelove
November 29, 2010, 12:26 PM
Do most of y'all cook em' with stuffing in the barrel and magazine well, like grandma used to, or have the food police scared us all into cooking the stuffing on the side?

:cool:

woodguru
November 29, 2010, 02:07 PM
My wife appreciates 44's Xmas contribution...

This guy reminds me of a kid I grew up with, he didn't get any attention until he figured out if he hurt himself he was the kid of the hour, by the time he was 16 he was jumping his Harley 350 dirt bike (70's) over 60 foot creeks until he escalated into not making it, he was popular in the hospital many times, he just wouldn't quit. Ah, I don't know what my point was...fergit about it.

markj
November 29, 2010, 04:47 PM
Shoulda used a convection oven......

LordTio3
December 3, 2010, 11:16 AM
I just got here... but reading everything that was done to this poor gun, all I could do was imagine the poor guy screaming and protesting the whole time.

"Oooh, the new guy's getting me out! We're going to practice! Can't wait!...

...what's that? Vaseline? Why? Wait... that's not a gun safe... AAAAHHHH!!!"

(half day later)

"....kill....me.... (extends shaky hand) <surely he's taking me to get help...>cough<... got..to..hold..on...>

(dunks in brake cleaner)

"AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! Bralggg..ggllabbble..aaaah! I'm rusting! Brrrrblagl..I'm rusting!!!! (brutally smashes head against side of container) Why?! >SMASH!< Why?! >SMASH! SMASH!< WHYYY-HY-HY?!!! >KER-SMASH!<"

(18 hours later)

"...>cough<...>cough<... I'll do it...>cough<...I... I'll talk>cough<... >wheeeze...rasp...<... ......whatever you want..."

(submerges in ENGINE OIL!)

"BARGLE-glaaable->HACK<! Gladblebarge GAAA! >Gasp!< Nazi! You're a freakin' Nazi!!! BLARGLE-BRALGLE-BLEK..."

(8 days later)

"... ... light?... ... is that light?" ... "Oh GOD it's YOU!"
"HEEEEELP! HEEEEEEEEELP!"

~LT

mrgoodwrench76
December 3, 2010, 11:21 AM
Will someone PLEASE end this madness.

thesheepdog
December 3, 2010, 11:33 AM
Wow, LinuxHak3r,

This has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen before in the firearm world.
Maybe, just maybe, there just happened to be a super-nova of physics/chemicals/engineering and your gun now has an impervious coating that is now invincible?
So you'll buy the Duracoat company, and change the name to "Ifinicoat". Guaranteed to never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever scratch, ding, flake, rust, blemish or corrode. Even if you place it under a laser cutting machine; the laser will just bounce off and kill the operator. HAHAHAHA!
Just let me know if it's bullet proof. :D

egor20
December 3, 2010, 11:35 AM
LordTio3 all I can say is

:D:D:D:D:D

That just made my day

Mike Irwin
December 3, 2010, 11:42 AM
"Will someone PLEASE end this madness."

What are you? The Goodwrench Grinch? :D

That said...

Four pages of cut ups interspersed with great information, good information, and "what the hell were you thinking" information is, I think, enough, so I'm going to close this one and take it upon myself to designate it as a "Classic of TFL Comedy" and TFL Historic Treasure.