PDA

View Full Version : "Lupara" shotgun pistols as AOWs?

ADB
November 13, 2010, 03:24 AM
A thought occurred to me the other day, and I wanted to check it out. Now as I recall, a smoothbore, pistol-grip-only gun is an AOW, right? That's how they sell the Serbu Super-Shorty, at any rate. Wouldn't that also apply to "Lupara type break-action shotguns, if manufactured from scratch? I was wondering because although I've seen the Serbus, I've never seen anyone making or selling break-action AOWs. That surprises me a little because from an engineering perspective, I would think that you could build a break action shorter and lighter than a pump like the Super Shorty.

Willie Lowman
November 13, 2010, 10:10 AM
There are some break open AOWs out there. The old Ithaca Auto-Burglar comes to mind.

They aren't as common because virgin break open receivers are much harder to find than a pump gun that started it's life with a pistol grip and no stock.

David Hineline
November 14, 2010, 07:57 PM
Been done before, no one makes in country doubles that I know of, no one imports receiver only guns and if/when they have they are more expensive one offs build than just buying a double shotgun and cutting it down to the sawed off shotgun route.

When building a custom project like that the $195 in tax savings is about 1/10 the cost of the project so not significant.

Bill DeShivs
November 14, 2010, 11:52 PM
The tax on MAKING an AOW is $200.00. TRANSFER is $5.00.
There is no initial savings, so you may as well just cut an existing shotgun.

rjrivero
November 15, 2010, 02:41 AM
Or....

Find a Class 2 SOT who will be willing to chop one for you. Then they can transfer it to you for $5. I'll bet a dollar that a Class 2 SOT wouldn't charge as much as the $200 tax stamp to make your own!

They're not too hard to find, and a lot of them are really nice guys and gals.

Willie Lowman
November 15, 2010, 03:39 AM
Find a Class 2 SOT who will be willing to chop one for you.

To be a AOW it has to be a virgin receiver or have never had a shoulder stock installed on it. This takes us away from having a SOT chop one down for us. That would be a SBS.

Crosshair
November 15, 2010, 09:18 PM
I have my Kimmel Kamper. Nice break-action 20 gauge AOW. It was built into an AOW the 1980's. Makes a nice Motel gun.

http://gra.midco.net/5937/GunPhotos/MotelGunAOW1.JPG

Here is a picture of what one looks like original. Mine has a 12" barrel.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_abaJ0xbRju4/SrTHa0_OyjI/AAAAAAAABvw/4TdG53mawSM/s400/KimelKamperShotgun-2.jpg