PDA

View Full Version : mossberg 702 plinkster: help wanted

steve7mm
November 2, 2010, 12:15 PM
a friend of mine recently bought a 702 from wal mart. he wanted a cheap 22 and thats exactly what he got. i help alot of guys mount scopes, get and paper, and make adjustments. this one i couldn't help.

the groups were decent at first, but about the 5th 10 round clip, he couldnt even hit the paper. i thought somehow the scope must have got all jacked up or something. i walked toward the target with his rifle, firing every few yards until i finally made a hole.

the hole in the paper was not round! somehow the 22LR bullet is coming out like a punted football! after cleaning the rifle and doing everything i know to do, every 2 or 3 shots will result in a funny sounding shell, and the bullet going end over end again. also the gun has loading problems about once every 10 rounds, when this happens, the 22 casing and the bullet will be bent right where they meet. ive shot alot of guns, but this one scares me a little. lol. i almost think the mag is not fitting properly, causing a "bent bullet" to load and go bouncing down the barrel.

wal mart will not touch the gun, and repairs from mossberg can take awhile, is there anything i can do for him? he bought a 100 hundred dollar gun for a reason, so i dont need to hear "go buy a ruger, or marlin". i have the 10/22 and the 60, and a winchester 77, and an old mossberg 22. all are good guns. but im hoping that somebody can tell me how to help this guy without spending very much money or having the gun sent back to the manufacturer.

anything you can tell will be helpful. thanks

abelacres
November 2, 2010, 12:17 PM
Have you tried a different magazine? Maybe even a different brand?

steve7mm
November 2, 2010, 12:33 PM
not yet, but im thinking that will be my next step. i just hate to keep spending money, or telling him he should, on a gun that may just be a junker.

i have already tried several ammo brands, (cci, win, rem, fed) as my old winchester 77 is very picky about what it loads well. round nose bullets seem to do slightly better than hollow points, but the jamming of shells and the punted out bullets still both occur at random....im lost on this one.

after a bullet comes out end over end, a bore brush will bring out lead shavings.

aarondhgraham
November 2, 2010, 01:40 PM
It's the only semi-auto .22 rifle I own,,,
All my others are single-shot.

I have shot at least 4 bulk packs thru mine,,,
It's not a "tack-driver" by any means,,,
But it does 2-3" groups at 100 yds.

Try some different ammo maybe?,,,
Mine likes federal bulk packs from Wal Mart.