PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon Front Sight Problem with a Beretta 9000S

GHF
November 2, 2010, 03:25 AM
I had installed the following on my pistol:

BE07Y: Beretta 9000 3 Dot Green Front & Yellow Rear

While firing last Thursday for my G (armed security) requalification, I was going through a two shot series. I drew, fired the first shot, then when I went to fire the second shot, the front sight was GONE. Could not be located on the firing range, even if the lights were turned off.

Finished and passed the requalification ok with a borrowed Glock.

Took the gun to the gunsmith who had installed the sights. He was able to replace the lost sight at no charge to me, but indicated that there might be a problem with size of the sight fitting into the dovetail on the slide.

He thought the problem might be Beretta's.

Has anybody seen this problem?

Does anybody have any ideas on how to have the sight tightened into the dovetail?

Is this a Trijicon problem perhaps?

Eagle0711
November 2, 2010, 11:53 AM
If The Dovetail is too loose you can gently peen it with a ballpeen hammer. Use the rounded end. This will tighten it up, but you want to go slow and easy. It's easy to go too far. Plus it will leave small marks. Placing a piece of masking tape will lessen the mark. If done carefully it should be hardly noticeable.
I've done this, and I have watched a gunsmith perform this little job.
If you go too far a three cornered file can remove excess metal. Good Luck.

Ozzieman
November 2, 2010, 07:42 PM
Did he use any kind of adhesive on the sight before he installed it?
I have not put sights on any of my Beretta’s but the Glock rep that replaced the sights on my 26 used an adhesive that was recommended by Trijicon. He used a very small amount and after thousands of rounds never had a problem.
How did he install it?
Did he have a sight placement tool? He should be using something like this for the gun he is installing it in.
http://www.topglock.com/item/42972_MGW_Tools_MGW_SIGHT_INSTALLATION_TO.aspx

SouthpawShootr
November 2, 2010, 09:45 PM
Well, typically, it's recommended to use Locktite Red for front sights on Glocks. Then again, this is a totally different animal. The Glock sight is held in by a screw while the Beretta sight is (allegedly) pressed into a dovetail. Still the Locktite Red should help retain the sight on the Beretta. I wonder if you could peen the sight base rather than pound on the slide.

Did you watch him install the sights? Many times, this sort of sight is oversize for the dovetail and requires some metal removal from the sight. This is a friction fit situation. It's possible he overdid the fitting and blamed it on Beretta. If this is the case, hopefully he realized what happened and was a little less aggressive this time around.