PDA

View Full Version : Red dot for shotgun

Jhedges
November 1, 2010, 06:42 PM
Looking to see what would be a tough red dot to mount on a shotgun. Probably sight in with slugs and turkey loads, just wanna know what will withstand the toughest recoils.

zoomie
November 1, 2010, 06:44 PM
Aimpoint.

arizona98tj
November 1, 2010, 06:55 PM
I put well over a thousand slug, buckshot, and birdshot through my FNH SLP Mk1 since I put an EOTech on it. They do seem to be built quite well....and I love the sight picture it provides.

Click the photos for more details.....

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/eotech/xps2-8.jpg (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/eotech/xps2-1.htm)

Jhedges
November 1, 2010, 07:08 PM
both are very nice, any reccomendations for something in the $200-$300 range? i have looked at the speed bead from burris, but i am not sure if it would be the best for slugs. i sure dont know thats why im askin yall lol.

Pahoo
November 2, 2010, 10:05 AM
The very first one I mounted on a Remmingtom 1100, was a Pro-Point-I. That should tell you how long ago that was. It cam with a built-in mount. Used it for a number of years and it gave me great service. The only problems I ever had with it was the filter rotating on me but it still help on point. My low end choices would be Tasco ProPoints or Simmons. My higher end would be Accudot.
I prefer the tube type or enclosed type, over the open Panpramics. I have one BSA that I would only trust on a .22LR.

Be Safe !!!

Deerhunter
November 2, 2010, 11:50 AM
I have a Millet Red dot on my 870 Express mag. I used in on my M-16 in Iraq and then put it on the shotgun when I got back. It has taken a beating to say the least and still haven't had a problem with it.

jmortimer
November 2, 2010, 12:49 PM
The Millets seem like a good deal for around $80.00 to $100.00. I did not know you could use your own sights while serving in Iraq.

Deerhunter
November 2, 2010, 02:07 PM
Well you have to use their guns and their ammo....well you don't have to but don't get caught. I wasn't lucky enough to be in SF, Ranger, or infantry so I got stuck with a basic M-16, a basic M-9 and what ever else I could scrounge. Some of the guys put Crimson Trace grips on their pistols. I figured I would be using my M-16 more so I bought my own Red dot. Then a bunch of other guys did as well. No issues with us doing it. Again we were using our issued M-16s and M-9 and their bullets so no big deal. Other than that you could pretty much set up your stuff anyway you wanted. I has a double frag grenade pouch, single smoke grenade pouch, 3 double m-16 mag pouches, a single m-16 mag pouch and a knife on my body armor.

jmortimer
November 2, 2010, 02:46 PM
Thank you both for the interesting response and can't thank you enough for your service and combat duty.