PDA

View Full Version : S&W 39

James Snipe
November 1, 2010, 08:07 AM
What is your opinion on the above for defemse. I can get one for 350.

Jamessipe

carguychris
November 1, 2010, 08:53 AM
First of all, I'll assume that the gun is probably a Model 39-2. "No dash" Model 39s have a different feed ramp contour that often doesn't feed FP and HP bullets well, and it has an extractor design that was prone to breakage. S&W didn't sell many no-dash M39s before they corrected these problems and added the -2 designation. However, due to the active S&W collector community, low production equals high value, even if the pistol is flawed. If it's a no-dash pistol and it's only $350, BUY IT, you can resell it or trade it for something else more expensive. :)

Assuming it's the more common M39-2, here's a plus and minus list:

PLUS:
Very accurate
Wonderful grip angle and feel; modeled after the M1911
Pistol is very flat and comfortable to conceal
Very reliable once you figure out what ammo it likes
Generally excellent trigger
Decocker/safety makes decocking foolproof
Magazines somewhat easier to find than later single-stack full-size metal-frame S&W pistols; M3904/M3906 mags will work in a M39 but not vice versa
It's very pretty :)

MINUS:
Slide-mounted decocker/safety is somewhat awkward to use
Cannot be carried cocked-and-locked
Gun does not have a trigger-actuated hammer block and may discharge if dropped on the hammer with decocker/safety disengaged; hence, pistol is considered unsafe for DA/safety-off carry (this flaw was fixed on later generations of S&W metal-frame pistols)
IIRC slide cannot be manipulated with decocker/safety engaged (also fixed on later generations)
Limited capacity compared to newer 9mm double-stack pistols of comparable size and weight, although it's still narrower than most of them
Takedown procedure somewhat complicated compared to more modern 9mm designs
Mags are relatively hard to find and expensive compared to more commonplace double-stack 9mm guns such as S&W 59-series, Beretta 92, Ruger P-series, Glock, etc.
Despite -2 feed ramp improvements, some individual guns are picky about ammo and may not feed all types of HP bullets consistently; make sure you test your ammo extensively before using it for SD
Alloy frame on blued pistols prone to ugly high-edge wear if holstered for long periods
FWIW although the Minus list is longer than the Plus list, I really like these guns and would recommend buying it. That price is VERY reasonable unless the gun is in poor cosmetic shape. Good M39s are getting hard to find; most owners are hanging on to theirs. :)

voyager4520
November 1, 2010, 01:22 PM
Someone I know has a 39-2 and it's an amazing gun. I don't know how many rounds have been fired through it but it's never malfunctioned to my knowledge.

mete
November 1, 2010, 05:04 PM
The course sharp checkering on the backstrap had a habit of wearing out clothing .

carracer
November 1, 2010, 05:20 PM
I got mine as a Christmas present from my dad in 1973. Gave it to my daughter last year. She loves it as much as I did! Would love to have another again. Easy to shoot accurately. Never failed to fire.

varoadking
November 1, 2010, 06:54 PM
Wonderful pieces...I have had 4 of them. This is the one I still have, with Keith Brown fancy French walnut stocks:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/Mancave/m39-2006.jpg

Webleymkv
November 1, 2010, 07:30 PM
These guns seem to have a small, yet devoted following and those who have them usually like them a great deal. An interesting bit of history about the M39, it was the first semi-automatic to be adopted as standard issue by a major U.S. Police agency: the Illinois State Police back in 1967.

OldskuleM1911
November 1, 2010, 07:44 PM
I seem to remember they were also Air Force issue for a short time. I had a blued one with adjustable sights long ago. Was a good shooter but about the same size as a commander.

Chesster
November 1, 2010, 08:59 PM
One of my favorites of the early Smith 9s. I have owned and carried several of the -2 guns and would do so again. I like them as well as the Sig 225/P6 single stackers. My first Smith auto was a 15. It proved unreliable with ball so I traded it for my first 39-2 with no regrets.

jrothWA
November 1, 2010, 11:08 PM
It's great for CPL-ing, . Use 124gr ammo for POA/POI.
Grab any Good condition mag you can find.

Remember this was the basis for the ASP & the DEVEL ASP through the 80's.

pogo2
November 2, 2010, 11:09 AM
I've had a model 39 since 1968, when I bought it new in a gun store for about $125, if memory serves. After about 18 years the extractor broke, and S&W replaced the entire slide and barrel with a 39-2 newer version. I shoot the gun a few times a year and it has functioned 42 years without any problems beyond the extractor issue. I have never carried it, so the finish remains in excellent condition. It seems quite accurate, and has a good DA/SA trigger.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/SW3970.jpg

capttom
November 9, 2010, 10:50 PM
That seems a fair price. The 39-2 is a flat, easy to conceal package. If you buy it, check to see if it has the magazine disconnect, i.e. the hammer won't cock if the mag is out. The disconnect worked through a small plunger located under the rear sight extension and was easy to remove. I remember Mas Ayoob was at one time in favor of this feature. When I had a 39, I learned to live with it and gradually became accustomed to it. What are the chances of losing a magazine and not having another on the belt? True, the disconnect rendered the gun a club during reloading, but that doesn't take long.

Cheapshooter
November 10, 2010, 12:39 AM
A completely unreliable, over weight, bulky, low capacity piece of junk!
Where is this one for $350 located?:D

ClydeFrog
November 10, 2010, 12:55 AM
For the $, you could buy the S&W model 39, but you may need to get it worked over by a good pistolsmith like Wayne Novak, www.NovakSights.com .
CoalCreekArmory did a ASP pistol upgrade called the ASP2000(with the 3913 model).
NOTE; I contacted the shop by email and never heard back, :(.

The S&W PC gunsmiths may be a help but for about $50 more you can purchase a NIB S&W model SD9 9mm. I've seen prices around $390.00 USD. ;)

Clyde

varoadking
November 10, 2010, 08:27 PM
For the $, you could buy the S&W model 39, but you may need to get it worked over by a good pistolsmith like Wayne Novak

Why?

ClydeFrog
November 10, 2010, 09:26 PM
In my humble opine, the older S&W model 39 models may need a bit of smoothing or tuning by a S&W trained armorer/pistolsmith like Novak or the PC(factory shop). The pistol sights may be off or loose. The 9mm pistol may not feed or cycle new type JHP or carry rounds. A good pistolsmith may round or meld the sharp/rough edges of a stock model 39 too.
Gun writer/sworn LE officer/training expert Massad Ayoob quotes master gunsmith; Ikey Sparks: "a carry gun should be smooth & feel like a well used bar of soap". ;)
The Paris Theodore/ASP model had something like 239 modifications to a factory stock Smith & Wesson 39 pistol.
In 2010, I'd want a original or stock 39 9mm to feed/cycle 100% and have mags that drop free loaded or unloaded too.
A real carry/duty gun needs these elements in the real world. If not then it's just a fancy BBQ gun or "safe queen". :)