PDA

View Full Version : buying a new double 12g?

Wild_Card
October 27, 2010, 09:20 PM
hello guys, could some one recommend a double barrel shot gun in the 12g 3ich. my price range would be in the 800$ range.iv found one at wallmart made by winchester iirc.it was a good looking over under but it had a alloy receaver and im not sure how well that would hold up over the years so i would like to find one with a all steel construction. also i would rather have one that is full chock and not the kind that has modified chocks.
Also would a 12g with a alloy receiver be ok? i want a gun that will last a long time not just a throw away ;) i know 800$ is not a lot of cash when talking double barrels but i was hopeing some one would know of a good one at that price. thanks in advance.

Wild_Card
October 27, 2010, 09:52 PM
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/hammer-classic/

would that be a good gun?

Dave McC
October 28, 2010, 10:22 AM
Good quality USED O/Us fall into your budget. Look for a used Browning, Beretta, Winchester, Miroku, SKB, or Mariocchi.

There's some great little known Spanish and Italian guns, but lots of junk also. Venture there at your peril.

oneounceload
October 28, 2010, 11:42 AM
Seconding Dave, for $800 some decent used guns from SKB, Beretta, Browning may be available. There have been Lanbers from CDNN available for a while now (so I am not sure if any are left), that were a steal at about $600.

If you are talking about a few rounds of trap/skeet to warm up for hunting, and then not a lot of shells a year, a CZ MIGHT be worth looking at. If you want something that WILL last, AND can be repaired by any gunsmith worthy of the title, the Beretta, Browning, SKB get the nod

BigJimP
October 28, 2010, 12:06 PM
+ 1 to what they all said ...

I can't recommend the CZ either ....its just too hit and miss on quality and a lot of other issues - like point of impact regulation..

You might add Ruger into your mix / they aren't nearly as good a gun as Browning or Beretta ...but there seem to be a few decent examples around on the used market.

In my opinion, don't buy a gun with a fixed "choke" - like a Full. It makes the gun way more versatile - if it has screw in changeable chokes - and you can use it for a number of different things. But you will find fixed choke guns / will be less expensive on the used market.

The downside to an alloy receiver / is you just need to be careful when you connect the barrels to the receiver - and not gall anything. But an alloy receiver isn't inherently less durable / and its plenty strong enough - you just need to be a little more careful with it / but you should on any gun anyway taking the barrels off or on ...

Wild_Card
October 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
darn i was hoping the CZ's would get the nod. o well thanks for cluing me in.

oneounceload
October 28, 2010, 02:47 PM
It's not that the CZ WON'T work - it is merely a question of how well and how LONG it will do so. Currently, (and they are getting better), they are hit and miss - some are working out great, some are not. The question then becomes - are you willing to spend 500-900 on a gun that MAY work when you're in the middle of a hunt? Or do you want a gun that will work in that scenario? That's where the used B gun tends to get the nod, as it is hard to beat for durability AND ease of repair (without having to send it back to the factory - any decent smith can fix a Beretta or Browning)

Wild_Card
October 29, 2010, 12:11 AM
thanks for all the suggestions guys. i'll look around and see if i can find a used gun of the suggested brands thats in my price range. i checked there web sites to see what new prices on those were, my gosh there high. why is a simple double barrel shotgun 2000$ and up? i can find good pump and autos for 500$ or so. seems like the pumps ect would cost more? Any way i have one other id like to get suggestions on. what about one of these

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=15&display=feat

i dont need any thing overly fancy or high end. i'll be using it just to shot turkeys ect every now and then, but i do want one that is built tough,something i can be some what proud of ;). i always heard mossberg made a good shot gun but id want to get the nod from you guys before i bought one. also is there a big def in reliabilty ect between over and under vs side by side.

the rifleer
October 29, 2010, 12:18 AM
I have a friend who bought a cz ultralight. He uses it for trap and skeet about once a month and for all around hunting. If thats all you are using it for then its perfect. Its not a competition gun made for tens of thousands of rounds every year, but for what most people us it for, it is very well made and is a very nice gun. I'd easily buy a CZ O/U from my experience with them.

If you are shooting very heavily (hundreds/thousands a week), then i would certainly invest in a solid trap/skeet gun. However, if you shoot like most people do a CZ is a fine and dandy gun.

oneounceload
October 29, 2010, 08:37 AM
why is a simple double barrel shotgun 2000$ and up?

This has been beat to death previously, but it simply comes down to more labor-intensive involvement in the machining, barrel regulation and final fitting/finishing; more labor = higher prices

Wild_Card
November 1, 2010, 04:28 AM
rgr that. Does any one have any opinions on the mossberg i linked above? the one i would get would be the 12g with 28inch barrel

OkieCruffler
November 1, 2010, 05:20 AM
Mossberg MAKES good shotguns, however they IMPORT some rather questionable ones. If your heart is set on a SXS (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be) You could find a very nice used Savage, Fox , or Ithica well within your price range.

pythagorean
November 1, 2010, 05:59 AM
Ah. The double.
It doubles your pleasure.
They are expensive.
Two guns in one.
If I was limited to $800 I'd look for an 1100 Rem and use that until I had 2 or 3 grand to spend.

darkgael
November 1, 2010, 06:16 AM
Nothing points like a SXS.
Here's the view down an old Parker that I picked up for half your budget (an old LeFever used up the other half).
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr287/PeteDoyle/PICT0052.jpg

Pete

PS - I did not shoot the light fixture.

krimmie
November 1, 2010, 06:29 AM
PS - I did not shoot the light fixture.

As long as that fixture was moving right to left, you looked fine. What kind of decoy spread did you use?:)

Noonan
November 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
CDNN has some great deals in their current catalog. Browning, Winchester, Lanber, and others.