PDA

View Full Version : All Day In The Blind Paid Off

ryalred
October 26, 2010, 12:49 PM
It had been awhile since I had killed a decent buck and I was determined to get one this year. However, I wasn't putting in the time, I knew I needed to to get a good deer--a third of archery season nearly gone and I had hunted only twice.

On opening day of Primitive Arms Season here in Oklahoma, I spent all day in my new ground blind location. It had been raining off and on all day (good thing I was in the tent blind). I had seen 10 does and two bucks (non-shooters) and time was running out. I was beginning to gather things up in the blind when I scanned the area again, and caught a glimpse of this one coming. He was taking his time and I was running out of time (daylight time) and he wasn't in range. I had been practicing quite a bit with my muzzle loader and I had determined that I wouldn't shoot at anything past 150 yards.

I turned my scope down to 3x for better visibility and he finally came into comfortable range for my Traditions in-line 45 caliber. Using a broom stick I had left in the blind as a rest, I made the shot. Of course the smoke just boiled and I couldn't see a thing. When the smoke finally cleared, all I could see was the tall grass where he had been standing. I felt like it was a good shot, but you never know for sure until you see them on the ground.

I dug my gutting knife and flashlight (it was getting dark quick) out of my backpack. It wasn't until I got about half way to him that I saw the tip of his antlers and then the white of his belly. I had stepped it off as I went--123 yard--and he had fallen where he stood. He field dressed 146 lbs (the third largest I have ever killed) and his rack was the second best I'd ever taken.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/ryalred/Hunting/2010%20Primitive%20buck/doublecroppedbrighterbestviewside.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/ryalred/Hunting/2010%20Primitive%20buck/deerinfrontrotatedcroppedbrightened.jpg

October 26, 2010, 01:14 PM
Great story, great buck, great pictures.........way to go!

Congrats all the way around! I'm sick with jealousy:barf:

huntinaz
October 26, 2010, 03:17 PM
Nice buck, thanks for the story and pics!

DiscoRacing
October 26, 2010, 03:34 PM
Congrats... Ive never even seen a rack that big in any woods I have hunted it nearly 25years.:(

davlandrum
October 26, 2010, 03:55 PM
Nice buck!

markj
October 26, 2010, 04:36 PM
Good job, can we all come over for some jerky?

Kreyzhorse
October 26, 2010, 08:13 PM
Very nice! Congrats on your buck.

slammedsi
October 26, 2010, 08:20 PM
Great buck. Watched several under the feeder here in Far North Texas (Right on the Red River). It made me sick as season dosent start here till the 6th. And 3 of the bucks were really good shooters.

BIG P
October 26, 2010, 09:59 PM
Congrats thats a great smoke pole buck he'll look good on the wall.:D