PDA

View Full Version : Norinco SKS-D question

JagFarlane
October 23, 2010, 10:20 PM
I have a Norinco SKS Model D with AK magazines. I took it out to the range for the first time and upon firing, the magazine fell out. I tried putting it back, several times all with the same result. Tried two other mags, neither of which stayed in place. Is there a trick to locking the magazine in place I might be missing? I've also heard they're particular to only Chinese AK mags...any truth to this?
Rifle operates fine otherwise.

pvt.Long
October 23, 2010, 10:33 PM
The sks has its own mag similar to the ak but not this is a good example of a a sks mag compared to an ak mag

IZZY
October 23, 2010, 10:36 PM
is the latch not engaging the rear lug of the mag?:confused:

JagFarlane
October 23, 2010, 10:53 PM
It allows the magazine to be loaded, allows a round to be chambered, but when the rifle is fired, it seems to lose grip on the magazine and the mag falls out. We also noticed that if the back of the magazine takes a bump it can knock the magazine loose.

WLJ
October 23, 2010, 11:31 PM
The sks has its own mag similar to the ak but not this is a good example of a a sks mag compared to an ak mag

What you are showing in picture #1 is a replacement detachable mag for the regular SKS internal mag. The regular SKS's were never intended to use a detachable mag and they never seem to work very well with them. The SKS-D did/does use regular AK detachable mags. Models SKS-M and MC-5D did as well. They were engineered from the factory to use a detachable mag unlike the regular SKS and should work just fine with plain old AK mags.

Carne Frio
October 24, 2010, 10:56 AM
Try to find a gunsmith to look at it.
My SKS D model works fine with a
variety of AK magazines.:D

martin08
October 26, 2010, 08:08 AM
Is it possible that you have the Type 84 SKS-D?

If so, the mags that were issued originally were numbered to the gun, and are not quite the same as regular AK mags. However, AK mags can be modified to fit. Here is a good reference.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=68044.0

This clearly shows how to make regular AK mags fit a Type 84 with a little trimming and filing.