PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on a trigger problem

swmike
October 14, 2010, 04:44 PM
I have a Remington 700SS 5-R Milspec and it is equipped with Remington's X-MARK PRO TRIGGER. Lately, the trigger adjustment screw has been rubbing my trigger finger on recoil and is literally becoming a bit of a pain. It protrudes approximately 3/32" from the upper surface of the trigger and it's just enough to rub but not cut into my finger. Can't recall if it was more flush when new and if this is only the result of my adjusting the trigger pull.

Any ideas out there? It appears that I could dremel off most of the protrusion and still have enough socket depth for an allen wrench. Just wondering and any suggestions would be appreciated.

mete
October 14, 2010, 04:52 PM
Don't cut the socket end ! Remove the screw and cut the other end.

edward5759
October 14, 2010, 05:11 PM
J:)ust take a stone or fine sand paper and bring down the length.
Place an allen wrench in the end and work the the other end.
you may need to chase the thread when done.

mapsjanhere
October 14, 2010, 05:14 PM
Looking at the trigger (http://www.remington.com/sitecore/content/Remington/pages/xmark-pro-trigger.aspx), you can't cut the other end, it's not just a set screw. Before you get out the dremel, just make sure you have a supplier for the spare part in case it doesn't work out. Would blow to ruin a $90 trigger because you can't buy the little screw separately.

dahermit
October 14, 2010, 06:06 PM
Allen screws come in different lengths. Buy a shorter one.

James K
October 14, 2010, 07:45 PM
I do not have an example of that trigger, but a general word of caution. Do NOT assume that just because a gun uses a screw that it is of a common hardware store size. Many gun makers, for whatever reasons, use screw thread sizes that are not available on the regular market, examples being the 6x48 and 6x40 sight screws.

Trying to install a screw of the wrong size can ruin the female threads, which are usually in an expensive part.

Jim

dahermit
October 15, 2010, 05:58 AM
I do not have an example of that trigger, but a general word of caution. Do NOT assume that just because a gun uses a screw that it is of a common hardware store size. Many gun makers, for whatever reasons, use screw thread sizes that are not available on the regular market, examples being the 6x48 and 6x40 sight screws.A hardware store may or may not have the screw pitch size that you need depending on how extensive they want their inventory to be. Nevertheless, all Allen screws are going to be of SAE standard sizes (or perhaps metric). Industrial supply stores like Production Tool Supply of Jackson MI, will have the size you need, but you will likely have to buy a full box to get one screw.

swmike
October 16, 2010, 09:39 AM
This screw is not just an allen screw. It is specially designed with sort of a "shoulder" where it fits in the trigger.

Sent a message off to Remington and got this response:

"if you have the adjustment screw adjusted down to its lightest setting then there isn't any way to prevent it from protruding from the trigger show as you noticed."

I've decided to just stone down the sharp edges for now. Long term I'm thinking a Timney replacement.

sourdough44
October 23, 2010, 07:36 PM
I have/had that same trigger, 'x-mark pro'. 1st of all you could take it right out. The spring will stay in & the pull most likely won't go below 4lbs with it out,mine didn't. I would also just put a Timney trigger in & be done with it. Even with the screw out I didn't like mine all that much.