PDA

View Full Version : 1911 MSH: Arched or Straight?

EdInk
October 14, 2010, 08:25 AM
Which do you prefer on your guns?

Kreyzhorse
October 14, 2010, 08:30 AM
I prefer straight but the arched is growing on me. I think if I every buy another 1911, I might go arched to have something a bit different than my current Springfield TRP.

Don P
October 14, 2010, 08:39 AM
That little bump (the arch) I find gives me a better point of aim. just me now.

Sevens
October 14, 2010, 08:41 AM
It's always been straight for me. When I wrap my hands around a 1911 with an arched MSH, just doesn't feel right.

Cool thing is that it won't ever affect a purchase for me since they are so easy to swap.

Hardcase
October 14, 2010, 08:50 AM
A1 all the way! :D

Casimer
October 14, 2010, 09:50 AM
I like arched for one handed target shooting, but flat for two handed shooting.

Brian48
October 14, 2010, 10:27 AM
A toss up for me. The arched MSH works best for me when I do rapid "combat style" shooting, but for deliberate target work, I like the flat MSH better.

demigod
October 14, 2010, 10:32 AM
It's always been straight for me. When I wrap my hands around a 1911 with an arched MSH, just doesn't feel right.

I agree completely.

mavracer
October 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
I prefer flat.the only arched I have is my 1911A1 Colt repo and I have no problem shooting it just prefer flat. one of these days I'm gonna get me a USGI 1911A1 it'll be original.

RickB
October 14, 2010, 11:09 AM
I think it's driven by supply. That is, 90+% of 1911s on the market have flat housings, so that's the only style that most people have ever used. If more people tried the arched housing, more people would prefer it. After all, the change was made in the '20s because the flat housing was found to not be as well suited to most shooters, so why would we revert to the flat one? Of course, the trigger was shortened for the same reason, and I don't know anyone who uses a short trigger today, no matter how small their hands are.

AZAK
October 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
For what it's worth:

I prefer the arched on my Colt Delta Elite in 10mm auto. This does seem to help with the recoil; fills my hand just a bit better.

On all of my Colt 1911s chambered in .45 auto flat seems to work just fine for me.

To each their own. It is possible that having the arched on my .45 1911s might work better; it would just be a little bit, and so far I have not felt "moved" to do anything about it, I pretty much hit what I am aiming at, and am comfortable while doing that.

YMMV

model18
October 14, 2010, 02:49 PM
flat works for me!

Jack Bauer
October 14, 2010, 03:17 PM
...Of course, the trigger was shortened for the same reason, and I don't know anyone who uses a short trigger today, no matter how small their hands are.

I prefer the short trigger, and I have medium sized hands. :D

It's just more comfortable for me and I shoot better with it..

midlandwalther
October 14, 2010, 05:07 PM
I prefer a flat but may try a Wilson V-Grip soon.

rsxr22
October 14, 2010, 06:37 PM
Flat is the way to go for me. I even do grip reductions on my glocks to get the flat backstrap

pythagorean
October 14, 2010, 08:09 PM
I've been following this poll out of curiosity. I too prefer the straight grip. What I find amusing is that so many handgun writers in the gun magazines make it sound like the arched housing is more comfortable and points better by a long margin.
I think our gun writers have hands that do not, for the most part, represent the majority.
Next time I read in a magazine the arched housing is "preferred" or introduced to "make aim easier/more natural" I am going to write the editor.

Crankylove
October 15, 2010, 01:11 AM
I have one of each, but prefer the straight.

My 5" 1911 has the straight MSH, while the 3" Compact has the arched. One day I will get around to swapping the arched to a flat.......but it must not be a very big deal to me, as I have had the 3" for 3 years now without changing it.

Archer-1911
October 15, 2010, 11:06 AM
Well I only have an arched MSH so yeah... I haven't handled too many straight MSH 1911's not really sure why just haven't been big on it. My Kimber C2 was a buddy of mine's first and he installed the MSH that is on it now. He gave me the straight MSH but I'm under the impression that if I swapped them out I'd be worthless with it.

RickB
October 15, 2010, 11:26 AM
I've been following this poll out of curiosity. I too prefer the straight grip. What I find amusing is that so many handgun writers in the gun magazines make it sound like the arched housing is more comfortable and points better by a long margin.

I've never seen the arched housing championed, in print, by anyone? I do know that both Rob Leatham and Doug Koenig, probably the top two 1911 pistoleros of all time, both shoot arched.

DavidJ
October 15, 2010, 05:35 PM
Flat seems to feel better to me but I suppose actually shooting them side by side would be the way to decide.

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww96/DavidJG/IMG_1650.jpg

alfack
October 15, 2010, 05:38 PM
I prefer arched. I like the way it fills my hand more. That said my current combat commander has straight. I know they are easy to replace :p

Quantrill
October 15, 2010, 06:27 PM
All 3 of my Colts have the arched. I can't remember shooting the straight. Have to find one and try it.

GaryM&P
October 15, 2010, 06:33 PM
I've owned both. I much prefer straight.