PDA

View Full Version : Here come Da judge!Here come Da judge!

458winshooter
October 13, 2010, 09:17 PM
I just saw an add for the Rossi/Taurus "Circuit Judge".Has anybody seen one or Know how long they have been out?I may have to look into getting something in 45 Colt after all.Its a Taurus Judge made into a revolving carbine of sorts if you haven't seen one yet.Looks neat!

ThomasT
October 13, 2010, 09:48 PM
If thats the rossi judge "rifle" then my local academy has one in stock. Thats in the burleson tx store. I did look at it. It felt light and was fun to shoulder. I doubt I would buy one though.

If this was a straight shotgun or a straight 45 colt I would be more interested. It did seem well made. Had fiber optic sights IIRC that don't do much for me. They said that they have sold several so somebody likes them.

Ozzieman
October 14, 2010, 07:19 PM
It’s a revolver rifle, where are you going to put your weak hand?
The idea of placing a revolver that close to my face and placing my weak hand in front of the cylinder is not what I would call a great idea.
I always wanted one of the Black powder cap and ball revolver rifles until I saw someone shoot one. I know they are not the same. That Cap and ball guns are prone to multiple fires if not loaded correctly.
To me a revolver rifle is a bad idea whose time has come,,, the Judge is popular,,, don’t understand why,,, therefore a rifle judge will sale too.
My other problem is what are you going to buy, smooth bore or rifled?
If they work so well with both shot and 45 LC why offer both?
The following is from their add.
Now you can fire .410 GA. 3-inch Magnum shotshells, .410 GA. 2.5-inch shotshells and .45 Colt ammunition. In any order you please, without switching barrels. Available in either smooth bore shotgun or a rifle.

458winshooter
October 17, 2010, 12:04 AM
I just saw a flyer for Gander Mtn for the Circuit Judge for $450 and it does have a forehand grip not like the other old revolving carbines.

Crankylove
October 17, 2010, 12:09 AM
it does have a forehand grip not like the other old revolving carbines.

That is true..........the BP carbines were meant to be held with both hands on the pistol grip. Rossi/Taurus did add a little deflector shield thingy to protect the supporting hand..........but I would still rather have a lever gun instead of the revolving carbine.

thebodhitree
October 17, 2010, 12:19 AM
It’s a revolver rifle, where are you going to put your weak hand?

cup and saucer method. weak hand supporting strong hand

MTT TL
October 17, 2010, 01:14 AM
The shield thingy is supposed to keep you from blowing your hands off. Personally I would prefer someone else to play with it for a while and experiment.

Still, I don't get it. What is the purpose of the thing? Is it a weak pistol caliber carbine (with really expensive ammo) or is it a .410 shotgun with a rifled barrel? How would they keep the shot from dispersing into a big cloud in the first 20 feet?

bennnn
October 17, 2010, 01:42 AM
when did .45LC become a "weak pistol caliber" (never btw)

weak?

Nah.

FrankenMauser
October 17, 2010, 01:42 AM
How would they keep the shot from dispersing into a big cloud in the first 20 feet?

One version is rifled.

One version is smooth-bore.

Take your pick.

I'm still not interested, but understand why some people want one.

RT
October 17, 2010, 07:51 AM
Looks like a cool toy ... Reminds me of the Model 1855 carbine so seems like Taurus is reintroducing 1850s technology. I'd rather have a lever gun or a bolt gun with an internal magazine.

RT
October 17, 2010, 07:54 AM
I think he meant "weak, pistol caliber carbine". A la a weak carbine in a pistol caliber.

MTT TL
October 17, 2010, 09:23 AM
It is weak compared to any CF rifle round. It gives about the same energy as a 9mm in most loadings. If you are going to carry a long gun, may as well carry a good one.

Art Eatman
October 17, 2010, 10:00 AM
Per actual shooting tests, shot from the rifled barrel scatters like crazy. From the smooth-bore, forget getting any sort of decent groups with .45s; not all that great from the rifled barrel, either.

"The Judge" is sorta like a broken sword. No point to it.

1911 Shooter
October 17, 2010, 12:24 PM
tarus quality has went into the dumper. beware

abelacres
October 17, 2010, 09:28 PM
It looks like a toy to me.... I'd rather have a Rossi Ranch Hand http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=17

Crankylove
October 17, 2010, 09:49 PM
I'd rather have a Rossi Ranch Hand

Doesn't look very practical to me. Can't shoot it as a pistol (too big and cumbersome)...........or a rifle (no stock to shoulder)........more of a conversation piece than a firearm in my opinion.