PDA

View Full Version : daughter's 1st time deer hunting--what caliber?

fastr nu
October 4, 2010, 09:05 AM
I have 13 yr. old daughter (avg. size). first time deer hunting this year, would like some advice on caliber/action choice. thinking, of course .243 but maybe something like 6mm or a 25-06. the area we will hunt will offer opportunity for
clear follow-up shots if needed. thanks for the help!

jmortimer
October 4, 2010, 09:10 AM
I like the .243 - very efficient killer with little recoil. With a Nosler Partition there is not much it can't do.

mikejonestkd
October 4, 2010, 09:13 AM
A .243 in a rem model 7 - light, easy to carry all day, accurate, mild recoil....more than enough power for deer at normal hunting ranges.

Get good glass and have her practice alot with a .22 rimfire before she moves up to the centerfire.

Have a great experience with your daughter!

RWBlue01
October 4, 2010, 09:47 AM
If you already had one, I would say it would be fine, but......not having one with your options open.....? I never really like the 243. I considered it too much for some things and not enough for others. Other people I hunt with love the 243, 25-06 and ....

At her age, I think I had my grandfathers 270 or 30-06 blasting away with rapid fire and it didn't bother me.

You could do anything from a 44mag lever action if the ranges are short.
You could do something like a 30-06/308 if you want her to have one gun for North America (reloading required).

What is she shooting now that she likes?
What is the maximum range you expect her to shoot? (Can she do it now with your current rifle?)

Lots and lots of options.

HiBC
October 4, 2010, 01:38 PM
I think your .243 idea is on the right track,
The fine line is,shooting well is a high priority.Ear protection,of course,and modest loads to condition her,along with the fundamental of calling the shot/follow through.Then,adequate to be reliable
Going along with this,the rifle has to fit.
How big are the deer,how long are the shots?

There aren't many .250 -3000 Savages,but it comes to mind.So does a .257 Roberts.There are some CZ 7.62x39 bolt rifles.That same rifle would make a 6.5 Grendel.

thesheepdog
October 4, 2010, 01:46 PM
.243 should be alright if she can shoot it accurately.

I would say a .223 if your state allows and kills are no more than 100 yards away.

Kreyzhorse
October 4, 2010, 02:06 PM
I'd say you are right on with the .243. Good luck this year.

billnourse
October 4, 2010, 02:45 PM
I would consider the 7mm08. It comes from Remington in a youth size, and there are reduced loads for it that would have no more of an intimidation factor than the .243. This would leave open the option of hunting heavier game at a future time. The .243 is a varmint or light (White Tail/ Antelope) game rifle, and shouldn't be pressed into heavier service.

I would also choose a 25/06 over the .243. Don't get me wrong, I really like the .243, and it will be my next centerfire purchase, I just feel it is pretty limited.

Bill

kd7sgm
October 4, 2010, 02:49 PM
This is my daughter's first deer hunting trip as well and she is also 13. She will be using the same 243 I used to take my first deer when I was her age.

Buzzcook
October 4, 2010, 02:52 PM
.243 up to 7mm-08 or 7x57 depending on the load.

Getting a rifle that fits is the big thing.

taylorce1
October 4, 2010, 03:02 PM
I'll throw in a few more to choose from 6.5X55, .260 Rem, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts, .25-06 Rem, and 6.8 Rem Spcl. Everything else previously mentioned will work fine as well. I've got a 7 year old girl and she wants to hunt with me, I'll start her off with a .250 Savage. Just because I think it is a cool little cartridge and since it is for her I can justify the build.:D;)

jimbob86
October 4, 2010, 03:07 PM
A .243 in a rem model 7

Keep in mind that a light gun negates some of the low recoil benefits of the light caliber.

All other variable being equal, a heavy gun kicks less than a light one, and semi-auto uses up some of the recoil energy to operate the action.

You can also download ...... if you can handload. I'm starting my 12 y.o. daughter off with an 8x57 ...... but I've downloaded it to 2300 f/sec, using a 170 gr RN soft point bullet. With a Limbsaver recoil pad, it's pretty mild.

JerryM
October 4, 2010, 03:19 PM
I have taken deer with .270, 7MM Mag, 300 Wby, and .243 Win.

I handload all my ammunition. I loaded the .243 with 100 gr Horn and Sierra, plus 105 gr Speer. Fortunately my gun is a fast one, and is a Pre 64 M 70 Fwt. My handloads with 100 gr bullets clock at 3150 fps. That is considerably faster than factory loads, but are not excessive for this gun.

I have had a higher percentage of one shot in the tracks kills with the .243 than any of the others. I have probably taken a dozen deer and two antelope plus one barbary sheep with the .243. It has performed well. The longest range for antelope was 525 yards, and deer about 250.
The bullet construction and velocity seem ideal for deer at reasonable ranges. If I were to shoot over 400 yds at deer I would choose the .270.

The light recoil and good performance make the .243 my choice for a youngster, and make hitting the game easier.

Regards,
Jerry

imacanuk
October 4, 2010, 03:29 PM
.257 Roberts, or 250 Savage. .260 Rem or 6.5x55.
Or .243
Or something bigger with a reduced load.
7-08 might be a good choice too.

mdd
October 4, 2010, 03:35 PM
The 25-06 is my "go-to" cartridge for everything I do. With that said, my handloads in a lighter gun do have more recoil than I would recommend for a youngster. When my son is old enough to deer hunt, he will start with a 243 (smallest legal in ks) and some lighter loads. Don't want him to miss a great deer because he's scared of the recoil.
Lots of rounds through a 22 is a great place to start for them too.
This forum isn't very friendly to ruger but ruger makes a very nice compact or youth model rifle. There is one sitting on the shelf at the local sporting goods store that I've been considering for my son. I'll probably wait though since he's only 16 months old!

imacanuk
October 4, 2010, 03:47 PM
I was 12 when I took my first deer. I used a Ruger Ultralight in .250 Savage. I was small for my age, and I don't remember being adversely affected by recoil. 1 shot... dead doe.

UniversalFrost
October 4, 2010, 04:49 PM
.243 is what I started with (well for center fire rifles that is)

the compact rugers are good, but a bit pricey.

remington and weatherby came out with rifles that have a youth stock and an adult stock, so when the kid gets big enough they just swap out the short LOP stock with the normal LOP stock. They can still be found online and in some stores.

for my daughter (turns 13 soon) she didn't like my old rifle in .243, but took to the 6.8 REM SPC and has been deadly accurate with it. Now this is in an AR platform, but with a 6.8 bullet (.270) at 110 grains (nosler accubonds) that is some serious pig and deer medicine. (remington makes a bolt action rifle in 6.8, but is based on the outdated and old SAMMI spec chambers, but they will be soon releasing updated guns with the SPC II chambers and proper 1:10 and 1:11 twist barrels)

woodguru
October 4, 2010, 05:05 PM

Since 1973 and my first Sako .243 Forrester I have shot at least 20 deer, and yes there were large Mule deer. That cartridge seems to have an inherent accuracy edge. Even one a friend had with iron sights was so accurate he never felt the need to scope the thing, it was a Remington 700. In fact that guy was a 30-06 die hard until he shot my Sako and he had a .243 within a year. The .243 seems notable for drop where they are hit performance, and I'm not the only one that says that. It seems to have superb terminal performance even at 400+ yards which is about as far out as I tend to go, I have taken a couple beyond though out to about 475.

I'd be making the same recommendation for a man as well as your daughter, it just happens that it had a very mild recoil that's perfectly suited for women and new shooters.

Back about 20 years ago one of the guys my brother worked with needed to be outfitted with a rifle for a big Colorado deer hunt he was going on. He had never hunted or done much shooting but he had decided he needed a .270 even though I told him he could try my Sako .243. He bought a Sako .270 Hunter and a Leupold 4-12x scope and Sako rings that are pricey but excellent. I mounted the scope for him.

We went to the range and he wanted to sight it in, I told him to leave me three or four bullets to check it out after he was done. I was shooting the .243 and a .22-250 next to him so I was also trying to see what he was doing. His shots were so all over the target as in 14 inches all over with nothing even close to another shot that it was impossible for him to make any adjustments. He was doing a lot of lip service about how lousy the rifle was shooting and kept asking if I was sure the scope was mounted right.

He ran through a box and I told him to let me see what was up with my four I had set aside. The first shot was an inch right and low so I dialed in the changes and shot three that could be covered with a dime. I assured him there was nothing wrong with the rifle and that there were an awful lot of guys that would be downright tickled pink with a rifle that shot like his did. I told him to get another box of shells so we could go back out to the range the next day but he said he wouldn't have another chance before he was to go to Colorado.

Next best thing was to tell him to try 10 or 20 shots through the .243. The first shot he remarked how light the kick was, his words were, "wow, this thing doesn't even kick". He was shooting groups like a pro with it, and I asked him if he was sure he didn't want to take the .243.

Well he missed a big buck that was only 75 yards away standing there looking at him, he shot under it the first shot, saw it go low so he compensated and shot over it's back the second time. He was dead sure something was wrong with the scope so he took it to a gunstore and had it remounted. He did a followup Colorado hunt and pulled the rookie move of all time. He had a deer 20 yards away from him, and had the scope on 14x even though I had told him several times to keep it at 4x, he said all he could see was detailed hair, he didn't have a clue what part of the body he was looking at. My comment was "tell me you didn't shoot, please". He said, "I did but I don't know if I hit it or not". At that point I washed my hands of him, I couldn't hang with the total ineptitude.

My point here is that a low recoil is way easier for a new hunter to shoot well, and a .243 will do the job sometimes too well as it will punch a bullet through the shoulders and out the back side.

Stick to your original thoughts here, it's perfect.

sc928porsche
October 5, 2010, 12:28 PM
Use the 260 remington. Recoil is close to the same as the 243, but with a bit more knockdown. It would provide her with a rifle that she could use for a lifetime of hunting including elk up to 200yds.

greatbasin
October 5, 2010, 01:17 PM
I went with a 7mm-08 for my girls rifle...and she loves it.

k in AR
October 5, 2010, 05:43 PM
While I agree with the cal suggestions, each young shooter is different as to how they react to recoil. It would be a great help if you are a member of a good gun club where she could try different weight rifles and test "light" recoil calibers. It needs to be a legal cal, but it dosen't take much to bring down a deer with an excellent shot.

jammin1237
October 5, 2010, 06:45 PM
13 year old shooting for the first time? 7.62x39mm ... cheap, does the job, get a rossi single shot and see if the young shooter likes it, then go from there....

sserdlihc
October 5, 2010, 07:37 PM
I have a friend in Florida that has a daughter that killed her first deer with a 7mm-08. I believe she is 15 yo.

I personally have had my daughter squeeze off a few rounds of my .308 Bar with the BOSS. She is 10 yo and doesn't hunt. Still can't get her to be quiet enough and not so figety.

doceaux
October 5, 2010, 08:33 PM
Lifetime rifle for her and great round for anyone who puts a premium on performance over advertising.

Yellowfin
October 5, 2010, 08:40 PM
Another excellent choice might be the .30-30. Rifles for that are light and slim and can fit a smaller statured person quite well as short length of pull can be a necessity. As previously suggested, a 6.8 SPC in an AR15 also can fit well as the telescoping stock can easily adjust to her length of pull.

I seem to have missed in previous posts asking: what do you currently have with you already?

Giovanni
October 6, 2010, 02:46 AM
A 6.5 X 55 has next to nothing recoil and a tack driver. This is very poplar in Europe and has been around longer than a .308. Flat shooting and quick.

John

UniversalFrost
October 6, 2010, 09:41 AM
like I previously mentioned on the .243 as a bolt gun and the 6.8 in an AR platform (SPCII chamber with 1:10, 11 , 11.25 or 12 twist rate)

Here is a thread over on the 6.8 forums showing how the 95gr Barnes TTSX bullet performs on Texas whitetails and hogs (graphic pics) and then at the end of the thread it shows the bullet expansion and perfect weight retention

http://www.68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16202

and here is my current setup for my soon to be 13yr old daughter who didn't like my first deer rifle in .243 (she thought it was too heavy, but the AR actually weighs more :confused: )

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq207/josephroby/DSC03354.jpg

My 10 month old, Justin, is holding my 6.8 SPC II AR (it is unloaded, just had a mag in there for show).

Lauer Lower with RRA 2 stage trigger set at 3.4 lbs, ERGO sure grip, DPMS block off plate with dual sided mount points, Magpul CTR Stock, H carbine buffer, Rock River winter trigger guard and a black hawk 2 point sling for now

Upper is Aero Precision with M4 cuts, tmarked and has a nice american flag on the rear (covered by the BUIS), PRI big latch on the charging handle, DPMS free float rifle length forend, YHM gas block with flip up sight, magpul BUIS, m16 carrier, WOA bolt, BHW stainless (blasted to satin) 18" HBAR with 1:10 twist and 5r (enfield) rifling and SPC II chamber with m4 ramps and rifle length gas, BHW dragons head muzzle brake and of course a DPMS rifle length tube. Optics are 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster with BDC scope (the BDC reticle matches almost perfectly with factory SSA 100gr Accubond loads)

Only thing left to do is put in the JP trigger and spring kit that I just got from midway on Saturday (has a RRA two stage NM, but wanted a single stage).

spclPatrolGroup
October 6, 2010, 10:36 AM
Can't belive no one has mentioned the good ol' 30-30 its what most kids in my neck of the woods recieved for their first hunt, generally a family heirloom hand me down, then once they have shown they can be safe with that they move up to a larger gun.

one-shot-one
October 6, 2010, 11:18 AM
6.5x55 SWEED
.260 REM
.243 WIN
6MM REM
7MM-08
.257 ROBERTS
IN THAT ORDER :D

woodguru
October 6, 2010, 01:39 PM
:rolleyes:
There's a reason nobody mentioned the good old .30-30. There are better cartridges that simply do everything better.

My grandfather used a hoe and a spade, I use a tractor with a 3 pt hydraulic connection. I wouldn't go back to or even start with the old fashioned method because it worked for him.

:D

FoxtrotRomeo
October 6, 2010, 02:17 PM
There's a reason nobody mentioned the good old .30-30. There are better cartridges that simply do everything better.

My grandfather used a hoe and a spade, I use a tractor with a 3 pt hydraulic connection. I wouldn't go back to or even start with the old fashioned method because it worked for him.

Oh I've shot 30-30 it is very nice but types of fire arms is limited in operating it. Lever action rifles are about all I know that operate it.

6.8 SPC is like the modernizing of the 30-30 or the 7.62x39. Granted the 7.62x39 has had so much going for it for so long that it's extremely difficult to replace and I wouldn't dare try either I like both.

I'd go 6.8 in an AR type rifle. Reason is that you can get a stiffer buffer tube spring and she won't feel very much. Did this with my AK and it's return spring and the AK is really nice to shoot now and before it had the same recoil as my buddies AR in 6.8 (I liked 6.8 so well I recommended it to him and now am building my own, gotta get the cash up to get the upper I want.)

But yeah good glass is a must. You give her a since of being able to deal with the recoil and hit anything she wants, she'll want to hunt and hunt often. :)

LanceOregon
October 6, 2010, 02:52 PM
.243 is the ultimate deer cartridge for girls. It is extremely popular here in Oregon:

http://www.oregonhunters.org/images/member-photos/july/AmysBuck.jpg

http://www.oregonhunters.org/images/member-photos/july/AlyssasBuck.jpg

http://www.oregonhunters.org/images/member-photos/july/Abby.jpg

http://www.oregonhunters.org/images/member-photos/july/KianaBuck.jpg

ntpastoraaron
October 6, 2010, 03:07 PM
I would recommend the .243 also as I have killed many of Mule deer in northern Nevada with this caliber. Accuracy is very good, which is the reason many of my kills were neck or head shots. Recoil is very little and fun to shoot.

badlander
October 6, 2010, 04:14 PM
Oh I've shot 30-30 it is very nice but types of fire arms is limited in operating it. Lever action rifles are about all I know that operate it.

And what is the problem with A lever action?

Another vote for the 30-30. Maybe with managed recoil ammo for the young one.

We are talking killing deer here they die the same today as they did 100yrs ago.

woodguru
October 6, 2010, 04:36 PM
Kiana's buck is a nice one, kind of reminds me of a marine haircut with the little round patch of black hair.

Colorado Redneck
October 7, 2010, 10:09 PM

Ain't much better for a young lady to shoot deer with. Good friend went deer hunting with his 19 yr old daughter and first day out she nailed as nice mulie 3X 3. One shot at 225 yards DRT.The next week her daddy nailed a nice big Wyoming antelope buck with the same gun.

Model 94 lever gun in 30-30 will provide nearly 50% more recoil energy. Trajectory is not even close. Retained energy is not even close. Selection of bullets is....two? 150 gr and 170 gr.

I have seen posts claiming that a 204 ruger is light for praire dogs and coyotes. Huh? SAme deal with the 243 for deer. The 243 is plenty for deer. Shoots flat. Easy recoil. Fairly good selection of ammo. Whats not to like?

woodguru
October 8, 2010, 12:39 PM
The theory that a .243 is too light must come from armchair warriers because everyone I've ever heard of that has shot a deer with one has never felt like their hits were ever marginal. DRT where they were standing is the usual result. Over 20 deer I've shot and not a one went anywhere. These are hard and fast hitting accurate bullets without much drop to think about within a 275 yard zone.

Not even close to marginal, I'd say about as optimal as you could want. You couldn't ask for better for Coyotes either unless you want perfect pelts. :D

taylorce1
October 8, 2010, 12:48 PM
Selection of bullets is....two? 150 gr and 170 gr.

Selection of bullets is a little better than that but not much. You forgot the 160 grain Hornady FTX bullet. Then there are a few others that can be used for the hanloader.

pythagorean
October 8, 2010, 02:25 PM
My .243, and although I have everything from .17 HMR to .458 Lott I will never sell it!

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/whitehouse_2008/Centerfire%20Rifle/008-2.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/whitehouse_2008/Centerfire%20Rifle/003-6.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/whitehouse_2008/Centerfire%20Rifle/004-5.jpg

It'll do more than any other ONE rifle.

Fusion
October 8, 2010, 05:20 PM
.243 is a great choice, but so is a 25-06. I used to not be a fan of a .243 for deer hunting, but a few friends got them and started hunting with them. Next thing I knew they were killing deer left and right with them. I helped skin a few, and was amazed by the damage it had done with the Hornady 95 grain SST bullets. Then I got to shoot some of their rifles, and they were just very accurate with fairly light recoil. I really enjoyed them. I even saw a few of them make some pretty amazing shots. One hit a deer in the butt as it was running, and it still dropped the deer. It just seems to work great on deer while still being fun to shoot. Overall, I can honestly say that I didn't even really want to give this caliber a chance, and it still impressed me.

James R. Burke
October 8, 2010, 08:11 PM
I agree with the .243 and the 100 grain nosler parition. Thats what I load for the wife. I believe you can buy it factory also. Shoot placement is important, then again it is with any rifle. It has worked nice for her.

hooligan1
October 9, 2010, 07:01 AM
.243 win. I got my little girl a Rossi combo-rifle shotgun, the shotgun came in 20 guage,she may want to hunt turkeys or rabbits or such. It has a simmons 4x12 and it's sighted in dead on at fifty. (because thats the limit of range I imposed upon her, for now) anyway she shoots it well but I think the stock is going to be short, as she is growing into a fine young lady!:)

mxsailor803
October 9, 2010, 09:20 AM
Can't go wrong with the .243 win. I have a remington 788 .243 that I would not hesitate to take hunting. Even though I primarily use a rem 700 .270.

NickySantoro
October 9, 2010, 11:19 AM
OP,
Can you take your daughter to the range and see what she can handle? My daughter at 13 had a petite small to medium frame and was a real girly girl. Amazingly, she had no problem with a 1911 or a 12 gauge with 00 buck. Her mother, who outweighs me by 50 pounds, complained about the recoil. Go figure. Issues of caliber and recoil are very subjective and individual.

fastr nu
October 9, 2010, 08:43 PM
she asked to shoot my m&p .40 and which she did with out a twitch, when she was 11. anyway thanks for all the advice, well taken, still undecided though.

M4Sherman
October 9, 2010, 09:01 PM
My twelve year old and 100lb sister's first/current deer rifle is a remington 742 16" carbine (I think) in 30/06. dont know why but she will not look at anything else except my M-44 and she aint stealing that one from me :)

MacGille
October 9, 2010, 10:42 PM
.30-30

The classic starter rifle for over 125 years. Easy shootin' cheap to buy, and destined to be kept for life.

bamaranger
October 9, 2010, 11:19 PM
Something NOT mentioned yet is a quality bolt rifle like a Ruger, the import Rem/Mauser, etc, in the x39 ctg.

I like the 30-30 as well, but NOT in the traditional lever rifle setup. The external hammer, tube mag, half cock, etc, are a bit much in my opinion for youngsters or newbies. My boy and wife both, have problems managing the hammer on conventional lever rifles. I suspect the single shot H&R breed would be a certain degree more of the same. The old Savage 340's bolts were great starter center fire rifles, most in .30-30

The .243 is immensely popular, but the Savage 110 we have kicks more than a .243 should for some odd reason and needs a good pad to make it a youth rifle.

barthmonster
October 10, 2010, 06:20 AM
I bought my 12-year old son a .270 and bought the managed-recoil rounds from Remington. He's shot them from the bench no problem and it's very accurate (I-bolt)... I'm a handloader so I could have just made reduced rounds w/ 4895 myself (in just about any caliber)...

25-06 or .243, whatever you want dude !