PDA

View Full Version : Mag release question on PX4

LloydXmas250
October 3, 2010, 10:35 PM
I got my PX4 a few days ago and have been out once with it. I absolutely love it so far. Only thing that is kinda bugging me is the mag release. I was practicing a lot of reloading today, trying to always keep the gun pointed towards my target. The checkering on the mag release is very abrasive and is irritating my thumb quite a bit. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain or can I just expect to develop a callus? It's not a huge deal at all, just a little curious. Thanks.

Mosin44az
October 3, 2010, 11:09 PM
Hadn't noticed that on mine. Try sandpaper?

mete
October 3, 2010, 11:16 PM
If it's plastic use sandpaper , if it's metal use a file .Many guns could benefit from smoothing checkering and chamfering sharp edges ! When I checker my guns it's always flat top checkering .Does the job without problems !

LloydXmas250
October 3, 2010, 11:25 PM
The checkering isn't too bad. I'm also noticing that the release is pretty stiff. I might just be thinking it's overly abrasive because of how much harder I'm pressing the release. Anyway to loosen up the release as well? If I stil am having this problem I'll probably sand it down a tad. Thanks.

ClydeFrog
October 4, 2010, 01:50 AM
I think the PX4 Storm pistols used to come with different size mag release buttons. It may be an after-market item now, see here: www.Beretta-USA.com . They have a line of parts, gear, t-shirts, caps, etc.
Respected pistolsmith, target shooter; David Olhasso; www.Olhasso.com does custom work on Beretta models.

LloydXmas250
October 4, 2010, 02:55 AM
I read about it coming with another mag release and those superluminova sights but mine came with neither. I'm not upset about either really. The superluminova have to be charged so they're just like my regular sights. I'll probably end up getting some meprolights for it. And from what I've seen about the mag release it's just a longer button. Not any different besides size.

Edit: After looking at the different sizes they all still have the grip but one has a larger surface area which would probably feel a little better. Truth be told, I kinda feel like current release is a bit small for me and I find myself having to search more than I should with my thumb. Thanks for the suggestion. Wonder how hard it would be to change though.

LockedBreech
October 4, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have pretty big hands and I've never noticed the problem, but if you're gonna be spending a lot of range time with it (which you are, since you are undoubtedly already in love with the PX4), go ahead and get an aftermarket release with a wider surface area if there's one available. Cheap part, and if it makes your shooting experience more comfortable, so much the better.

LloydXmas250
October 4, 2010, 11:26 AM
Does anybody have any experience with changing the mag release? The manual has directions but they seem a bit vague. There is a very small hole on the button and they mention using a punch but I've never seen one so small.

BillDish
October 4, 2010, 02:41 PM
There is a good video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOxWQtKVxL8 on disassembling a PX4 further than field stripping. I haven't tried it yet but I almost have enough nerve built up to give it a shot. There also is another video for re assembly.

ClydeFrog
October 4, 2010, 03:57 PM
I'd suggest going to a trained local gunsmith or Beretta certified armorer and have them switch the magazine release.
About 12 years ago, I had a gun shop pistolsmith flip my 96D's release for about $10.00. I'm left handed and wanted it switched. :)

NYshooter
October 4, 2010, 04:02 PM
I've done it just following the instructions in the owner's manual. Just take it slow and follow the instructions. As for the small hole, I used a small paper clip and it worked just fine.

LloydXmas250
October 5, 2010, 12:51 AM
I'll have to order the extra releases and then try out a paper clip. seems simple enough. Just vague instructions. I like pictures with my instructions. Haha. I'll also take a look at the video. Thanks guys.