PDA

View Full Version : I bumped my head

toyman69
September 30, 2010, 07:44 PM
OK, I did it I bought a (cough, cough, gag ) glock 17. I got a good deal on it. with 4 mags and a paddle holster. It has had the guide rod replaced with a steel one ( got the factory one with it).
It will not ever be as nice on the eyes as my commander or any of my 7 other 1911s.
but I dont want to be a hater with out ever giving one a chance. and when I find I still dont like it I'll use it to prop up a night stand.

medic176
September 30, 2010, 08:21 PM
LOL, I'm about to take the plunge myself. I will at least give Glock a Shot.:D

.40cal
September 30, 2010, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the dark side;) You're gonna love it over here.

Congrats on your purchase. Did you get the 4th gen?

sdj
September 30, 2010, 08:30 PM
I also tried Glock more or less on a whim and to see what all the fuss was about. Now, the G32 is the EDC, but the SW1911Sc gets lots of holster time, too.

Glocks are highly functional and well built.

Enjoy and safe shooting.

Jim243
September 30, 2010, 08:55 PM
Now youv'e done it, don't be supprised if the ghosts of Smith, Wesson and John Browning pay you a visit this Christmas and haunt you.

We tried to warn you.

Jim

Markwondi
September 30, 2010, 11:41 PM
You should buy a hipoint next :D

UtahHunting
September 30, 2010, 11:53 PM
Way to go. Despite their looks, Glocks are great firearms.

EdInk
September 30, 2010, 11:55 PM
If you're gonna go polymer then get an XD. It feels somewhat like an arched MSH 1911 with the grip safety. Every bit as good as a Glock but
won't require you to leave one cult to join another.

EdInk
September 30, 2010, 11:58 PM
Not to mention that Springfield Armory offers some of the best 1911s. One way or another (in my case both) they will get/deserve your
money. Buy an XD-9 and a Mil Spec 45 then wait for the zombies.

toyman69
October 1, 2010, 01:44 AM
I agree that springers are great, I have a v16 longslide that is a tack driver but a 6" barrel is not easily carried, LOL.

blume357
October 1, 2010, 06:27 AM
" That puppy is so ugly you just have to love it!"

I'm not a Glock fan but can't work myself up to be a hater either. Congratulations... every one of us can always use one more gun.

NJgunowner
October 1, 2010, 10:07 AM
It's hard to hate a gun that reliable... No matter how UGLY it is :D

NWPilgrim
October 1, 2010, 11:15 AM
My Glocks reside comfortably next to my SA 1911, S&W K-frame, and BHPs.

Besides their reliability and durability, you'll appreciate them more when its cleaning time and you see how simple and quick they are to clean and lube. Or the next time you are carrying in a downpour, or profuse sweating in heat and humidity, in the woods and there is not a speck of rust at the end of the day.

Fiv3
October 1, 2010, 11:45 AM
I tried a Glock 36 and fell in love. Just a handful of cold, heartless, .45 that disappears on my belt.

I wish I could personalize my Glock like I could a 1911 or some other design. However, they really shine as faceless workhorses. I find the G17 to probably the be ugliest one of their line up, but you're going to be hard pressed to find a more reliable 9mm.

And I too appreciate the near total lack of maintenance. If I'm taking the jeep out with the top off, the Glock goes with me. If I get caught in the rain, so what. :D

LockedBreech
October 1, 2010, 11:57 AM
I wasn't even aware there was Glock hate until I started posting here. I am a Beretta guy, some of the most gorgeous guns made IMHO, but I never minded the looks of my brother's G22. Very businesslike. And I certainly don't mind how they shoot

rtpzwms
October 1, 2010, 12:03 PM
My Glock is fugly but it always works. There is something beautiful about something that always works. I just hide it in the safe when not in use...:D

BigJimP
October 1, 2010, 01:01 PM
I'm still chuckling about Jim's comment about the ghosts of John Browning and S&W knocking on your door at Xmas time .... ( you won't like that ...) ...

" I can't buy a Glock ....my parents were married " ....:D

howwie
October 1, 2010, 02:31 PM
Congrats, enjoy! Brace yourselves......I really do like the way my G19 looks :) (now shielding face from the comments to follow) What gen did ya get?? pics? (okay maybe not pics, other people may not like it ;))

YZR
October 1, 2010, 02:44 PM
NEVER!!!!

schmeky
October 1, 2010, 02:47 PM
toyman69,

You made an excellent choice. The well deserved reputation of the G17 is what orginally put Glock on the map. I personally think it's still the best Glock made.

I have owned just about every brand out there at least once. All I can say is my 1st Gen G17 is stoked with HP's and my wife know's where it's at. All she has to do is grab it and pull the trigger. I can't think of any better testimonial to what I percieve as a reliable, bet your families life on it pistol.

warningshot
October 1, 2010, 11:29 PM
So what if Glocks are reliable...big deal...accurate...so...orginal concept & design customer service reviews & LE s most popular pistol and still eating up more market share & the most copied pistol since the 1911....value...eh, who cares.

Come over this way. We'll show you a good deal on a Taurus trade-in.

voyager4520
October 2, 2010, 12:50 PM
Congrats! Only downside to Glocks is that they eat ammo too fast. :D

Been to the range with it yet?

varoadking
October 2, 2010, 01:10 PM
We'll show you a good deal on a Taurus trade-in.

There's no such thing...

sdj
October 2, 2010, 01:40 PM
I'm still chuckling about Jim's comment about the ghosts of John Browning and S&W knocking on your door at Xmas time .... ( you won't like that ...) ...

As am I. Yes, that was funny.

I'll let you know if they show up. :-D

schmeky
October 2, 2010, 02:31 PM
varoadking,

Your post 23 :D

dnr1128
October 2, 2010, 02:37 PM
I made the plunge a few months ago an my 19 is the edc. Great gun.