PDA

View Full Version : Value of Win 94 Legendary Lawman

micksis86
September 29, 2010, 06:26 AM
Hey guys,
First post here and I have a question.

I have the opportunity to buy a Winchester 94 Legendary Lawman with a trapper length barrel in 30-30 Win.

It's an absolutely beautiful rifle but I don't know what is a reasonable price to offer for it.
It's been fired about 30 times so it's collectors value is virtually gone.

It's one of 20,000 made in 1977.

Any opinons on what it's worth? or if you have access to a blue book or something what does it say? in regards to it's value

gaseousclay
September 29, 2010, 06:56 AM
i've seen it valued anywhere from $600 to $1000 depending on condition. my coworker has this exact same rifle in unfired, mint condition in the original box and he's trying to figure out it's worth. but as you mentioned, 20,000 is a lot of rifles so I suspect it can't be worth that much, especially if it's been fired.

Abel
September 29, 2010, 08:13 AM

This is not true. Collector value of any gun has zero to do with it being fired.

Scorch
September 29, 2010, 10:32 AM
Winchester 94 collector rifles do not seem to have the appeal for collectors, probably becasue they cranked out truckloads of collectors' editions (Lawmen, Cowboys, Indians, Pony Express, Horse Soldiers, John Wayne, Oliver Winchester, Canadian Independence, First Day Of School, Famous Garbagemen, etc, etc), and the fit and finish were no better than regular 94s. But they did have a medallion in the stock and really neat boxes and hang tags on them!:o

Value is not much more than for any other Win 94 once it's been fired. Cruise the auction sites to see what the current market is offering for them, I believe you will find it to be somewhere around $350-$400 for a fired one.

tirod
September 29, 2010, 10:41 AM
This is not true. Collector value of any gun has zero to do with it being fired.

Unfired NIB guns don't have any higher value? Really?

I saw and read the a post that someone has a Colt M16 semi auto, NIB, with box, tags, papers, manual, etc. Unfired. It was purchased about 1966.

But it has no different value than one with 25,000 rounds thru it? Sorry, I've seen it happen time and again, the gun auctions are full of closed deals on unfired guns bringing higher prices. They usually do well IF they aren't marketed as a "collector" version.

Collector guns - no so much. They are just dressed up standard stuff, marketed to unknowledgeable buyers. The Chief Crazy Horse Winchester is another example.

DPris
September 29, 2010, 12:46 PM
I'd agree.
Abel, dead wrong. :)
Denis

OJ
September 29, 2010, 02:18 PM
micksis86

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,
First post here and I have a question.

I have the opportunity to buy a Winchester 94 Legendary Lawman with a trapper length barrel in 30-30 Win.

It's an absolutely beautiful rifle but I don't know what is a reasonable price to offer for it.

It's one of 20,000 made in 1977.

Any opinons on what it's worth? or if you have access to a blue book or something what does it say? in regards to it's value

FWIW - I recently acquired this 1867-1967 CANADIAN CENTENNIAL Winchester 94 SRC - 20" octagonal barrel - for $395.00. Used but well cared for and 95% condition - I get the impression that's about an average price but I suppose might vary by location. I think this would be a comparable rifle and $400.00 +/- $50.00 would be a reasonable place to start (tell'em I sent you ;))

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/003.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/IMG_2491.jpg

Top one a Buffalo Bill Commemorative with 26" octagonal barrel -

I personally have no interest in my gun's value as a collector item - just love'em as shooters. I got this Winchester 95 - "NIB, unfired, with manual" for a little less than original price - must have been in an estate of a collector and those handling the estate had no idea how to price it other than what had been paid when it was new -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

The only problem I've had with it was convincing my gunsmith to drill/tap it for the Williams FP71 rear sight - he felt that would ruin it as a collector's item - I convinced him it was a shooter - and a good one.

Some days lady luck smiles on you - I can't resist telling how I bought the BB Commemorative NIB, unfired, w/manual - from a dealer friend - and it only only cost me $90.00 - but, that's another story.:D

jmr40
September 29, 2010, 02:53 PM
Some guns unfired will bring a little more, sometimes a lot more depending on the gun. With other guns a few rounds through them will have virtually no effect on price as long as the gun is in like new condition.

During the 70's and 80's Winchester made so many special runs of 94's that they do not really bring a lot more than regular rifles in my experience. If you find someone that wanted one 33 years ago and missed the chance, they may pay top dollar for one. Most people are just not interested. A lot of those guns are hard to sell at any price.

Abel
September 29, 2010, 04:05 PM
The most valuable collector pieces are old guns that saw lots of use. The main value point is condition, not if its been fired.

DPris
September 29, 2010, 08:37 PM
Abel,
That's an overly broad statement that doesn't hold true across the board.

A first year Colt Python in unfired condition with box & papers will sell higher than another first year Python that's been fired, even with box & papers.

A fired Winchester commemorative 94 that's been used a bit may actually sell for less than a new-in-box standard Model 94 from the same year.

An unfired mint Enfield No 4 MKII in the wrap will sell higher than an issued equivalent, and higher than one that's been fired (even if only slightly).

Two run of the mill S&W Model 27s (discontinued & slightly collectible) will sell quite differently if one's been fired & the other hasn't.

Those are just three examples, but they illustrate the point.

The main value lies in condition in certain collectible categories, but those tend to be high-dollar rarities far beyond the Model 94 in question..

As others mentioned, Winchester Model 94 commemoratives have historically not held substantially higher values than plainer "working" versions of the same guns, and even less so once fired.

Denis