PDA

View Full Version : Bullet stuck in m1 barrel

holt2010
September 28, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hey guys there was a bullet stuck in the barrel of my m1. I tried to tap it out with a cleaning rod and it didnt go too far any suggestions please?

goodspeed(TPF)
September 28, 2010, 10:35 PM
Bigger hammer? Hit it harder? ;)

Scorch
September 28, 2010, 11:46 PM
M1? Garand or Carbine? Either way, the usual remedy for a bullet stuck in a rifle bore is to lube the bore, fill the other end of the bore with oil, and get a brass rod that fits the bore well, put a patch over the end to seal the bore, insert in into the bore as far as it will go, then smack it with a hammer. The hydraulics will force the bullet out of the bore far better than trying to drive it out.

holt2010
September 29, 2010, 12:20 AM
m1 garand

grumpa72
September 29, 2010, 07:10 AM
Brass rod just big enough to fit into the barrel and tap gently until removed. If you have a hardwood rod, that may work too. When I first started reloading, I had a squib stuck in the barrel. The brass rod did the trick.

Once out, you need to figure out how the bullet got there. ;)

Satanic Toaster
September 29, 2010, 09:52 AM
I had this same problem with a semi-auto Thompson I had a few years ago. I just tapped it out with a brass rod.

Chris_B
September 29, 2010, 05:27 PM
Either way, the usual remedy for a bullet stuck in a rifle bore is to lube the bore, fill the other end of the bore with oil, and get a brass rod that fits the bore well, put a patch over the end to seal the bore, insert in into the bore as far as it will go, then smack it with a hammer. The hydraulics will force the bullet out of the bore far better than trying to drive it out.

^ this. I can't imagine it failing. A gunsmith is another choice of course. I imagine he'd use...Scorch's suggestion

Dfariswheel
September 29, 2010, 07:33 PM
Wooden dowels may work for most pistols, but rifles fire spire pointed bullets.
The pointed tip will do a nice job of splitting the wooden dowel and cause it to jam in the bore.

Get a brass, or in this case even better, steel rod that's a close fit in the bore.
This is one of those things you don't want to mess around with.
If you distort the bullet trying other methods, the bullet will jam in the bore and may require barrel removal and boring the bullet out from the rear.
Using a cleaning rod which is smaller than the bore is inviting the rod to shift off center and badly damage the barrel.

The "correct" removal system is to get short 6 inch sections of near-bore diameter steel rods. Put enough into the bore to leave 4 inches of so out the muzzle and drive the bullet down until another rod section can be used.
This prevents rod flex which dissipates the force and causes bullet distortion.

Again, this is something you usually only get one shot at. Botch it, and you can easily ruin a barrel or leave yourself with an expensive gunsmith bill.

Jim Watson
September 29, 2010, 07:38 PM
There have been a lot of screwups recorded about stuck bullets. Splintered wood is a common one. A hardwood dowel might work to knock a lead bullet out of a pistol barrel, but not always and it is certainly not reliable on jacketed bullets and doubly so on a rifle.
There was a post on another board where a guy drove a stuck bullet out with a steel tent stake. This did not do his expensive Magnum's barrel a lot of good.

Do not improvise and do not get in a rush.

Smooth rod and a good soaking in penetrating oil like Kroil are a good start.

holt2010
September 29, 2010, 08:39 PM
im taking it to the smith tommorow

Chris_B
September 30, 2010, 05:15 PM
Let us know how things came out...no pun intended:D

langenc
September 30, 2010, 07:42 PM
Id be curious-drive it on thru the barrel or back out. With the Garand, I guess it will be back out.

holt2010
October 3, 2010, 12:31 PM
ok the bullet is out but there is residue from it still in the barrel my local smith still has the gun so hopefully he can get it all out

James K
October 4, 2010, 03:36 PM
Want to know a dirty little gunsmith's secret? For .30-'06, 20 grains of 3031 in a case with a light cotton wad. No bullet, of course. And no, the barrel doesn't bulge and the gun doesn't blow up.

Jim

holt2010
October 4, 2010, 04:01 PM
the stuff is actually stuck in there pretty good would it still come out?

James K
October 4, 2010, 04:13 PM
In my experience, yes. But I don't take responsibility for use of that method unless I am doing it. (I have to say that to CMA.)

Jim