PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloading Shotgun info

oneoldsap
September 23, 2010, 06:49 PM
A friend has a DBL front loader with Damascus barrels . The only markings on the gun are two words , Smith , London . It appears to be a well made and embellished piece . Any info would be appreciated ! Thanks ! Mike

oneounceload
September 23, 2010, 07:46 PM
Might need just a tad more info, and hopefully, some pics, especially of the water table with the proofs and other markings.

Rifleman1776
September 24, 2010, 08:14 AM
"London" was often stamped on shotgun barrels for marketing purposes. That is not necessarily an assurance of quality.
It may be Damascus or just treated to look like it.
It may or may not be safe to shoot with black powder loads.
Before he tries shooting it should be checked out by a gunsmith that specializes in muzzle loading guns. If he doesn't know one, contact me off forum, I may be able to put him/you in touch with one.
A picture would be nice.

oneoldsap
September 24, 2010, 02:45 PM
Thank you gentlemen , that's all the info I had , just thought maybe someone had seen one like it !

Rifleman1776
September 24, 2010, 03:16 PM
Thank you gentlemen , that's all the info I had , just thought maybe someone had seen one like it

Huge numbers of double shotguns were imported from England to the U.S.
They are not rare or of high value. Most had some kind of 'London' stamp on them as it proved to be a gret marketing device. Many said 'London proof' and that was wrongly believed (still is by many) to be evidence of proofing and quality.
Do get checked out. If judged safe by someone knowledgable, shoot it.