PDA

View Full Version : Now on the 5th brick of ammo with my Ruger 22 45...

PhilB
September 21, 2010, 07:12 PM
I like it better all the time. The red dot sight I put on it really helps my old eyes but I've had to tighten up the scope base twice now. This evening I was shooting and my shots started hitting the left side of the bull. The base was coming loose again. Is a locktite product ok to use on scope base screws? Tightened the base, attached the sight and was in business again. My group tightened up taday cause I was kneeling and resting my hands on the picnic table instead of shooting offhand. Hurt my back the other day and it still hurts hold the pistol out shooting offhand. I have been doing all my shooting at 10yds with a 6in bullseye but today I printed off a target with a bullseye about half that size so I could see my misses better.:o The Ruger still shoots much better thanI can hold it.:)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/xzkt/P9140001.jpg

aarondhgraham
September 22, 2010, 07:55 AM
I too have a 22/45 and I love that little pistol.

You can use Loctite on the screws that keep loosening,,,
But another alternative is a tiny drop of clear fingernail polish.

Use the blue loctite,,,
It's the one that can be loosened with hand tools,,,
The red requires the use of a heat gun to loosen the screws.

Here is their website,,, (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml)

PhilB
September 22, 2010, 09:17 AM
I too have a 22/45 and I love that little pistol.

You can use Loctite on the screws that keep loosening,,,
But another alternative is a tiny drop of clear fingernail polish.

Use the blue loctite,,,

Thanks for the info.

tom234
September 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
Finger nail polish didn't work for me but Loctite blue did. You can use Loctite red but you'll have trouble getting the screws out without applying heat.

AGENT TIKKI
September 22, 2010, 03:49 PM
I got a sightmark red dot on mine too, had the same problems, I used blue locktite and had no problems anymore. I did have a bit of a hard time removing the bolts when I sold the 22/45 without the sight but it wasn't too bad. Hope this helps you! :D

redsrtturbo
September 22, 2010, 08:31 PM
I just got my Ruger a month or so ago

Love the adjustable sights but I noticed I was getting worse the more I fired and no adjustment seemed like enough- finally noticed that my sight was loosening up after every range visit-

I went with red loctite since I want to set it and forget it (thanks Popeil).

I'm sure a heat gun can't hurt the gun anyways.

I can't wait for the next range visit- I don't have my groups as tight as yours, but I can see myself getting there with this gun.

publius
September 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
a heat gun might not hurt, but the proper way to do it is to put a soldering iron on the screw for a minute.