PDA

View Full Version : VZ 58 Century build quality

leadcounsel
September 19, 2010, 06:39 AM
I'm considering a VZ 58. A $900 import model just isn't going to happen.

However, I've seen them for around $500. I suspect they are Century builds.
I know Century has a spotty reputation for builds.

How are the VZ 58s in Century build quality?

Ridge_Runner_5
September 19, 2010, 10:50 AM
How did Century Arms get a bad reputation? (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1092337)

MosinM38
September 19, 2010, 11:34 AM
*sigh*.

Not ALL Century's are bad guns. Some guns they contracted out and were built by someone else totally. For example the Polish 1960 Milled AK's are receiving high marks and virtually no bad ones reported.

Likewise, the rest of Century's run about 50-50 on the good-bad. I purchased a Wasr 10.BUT. I examined it in person. I would not buy a Century gun without in-person examining it.

That said: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296213

VZ58's I think I'd look for a D-technik made one if possible. They only run about $150 more than a CAI gun and they are better quality (I HEAR, not a personal examination). Some CAI VZ-58's have had problems.

noyes
September 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
How did Century Arms get a bad reputation?

Do you hear me out there? Do you hear me Century.....****** off a man with a computer, bad move. ................

Read this.... http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2003/libe217-20030331-04.html

leadcounsel
September 19, 2010, 02:46 PM
Anyone else?

zombieslayer
September 19, 2010, 03:13 PM
Okay. First off, I do own Century stuff. Not much but what I have works very well. That said, I wouldn't reccomend Century. They do suck. I've seen friends get crappy, cobbled-together rifles and had to send them back several times for function issues. All were recent Century builds. Golanis and such. They're real jerks to deal with, I do know that firsthand. Io don't try to bash the brand too bad, but they're definitely a hit-or-miss proposition. For a few bucks more, get the D-techniks, or save up for the real deal. Just my 2cents.

raftman
September 19, 2010, 03:42 PM
The Century Vz-58 is actually probably among the best products Century has ever come out with. Check out the user/buyer reviews on J&G, they're all positive. I bought one of them myself, it's 100% reliable, it's very accurate, lightweight, and just an all-around good buy. I will likely buy another. J&G sells them for a meager $429, and a local FFL here has them for $450 each, the D-Technik guns are not just $150 more, they seem to be $300-$400 more, and it seems like all that extra money only buys you a better finish. For me a pretty finish would make me feel like I have to more "gentle" with rifle, and who needs that?

I know Century has a spotty reputation, and I've had a couple of Century-assembled firearms that I'd give a thumbs down to (namely the Golani sporter, and "Bulgarian" NDS-2). But their Vz-58 clone seems to leave me with very little to complain about. If I were to come up with any complaints, it would be about the the Vz-58 design itself, rather than Century's job of assembling it.

Additionally they have a couple of advantages over the more expensive Vz58's, the Century guns have a long enough barrel to not require any gunsmithing to replace muzzle brakes, and they're threaded, and the Century guns also have bayonet lugs. The d-technik guns have a permanently affixed barrel extension that must be removed if you're to add a muzzle brake, and any muzzle brake you attach must be affixed permanently. They don't have bayonet lugs.

They're kinda ugly, but they work, and work well. Take it from someone that actually has one of these things, and shoots it, rather than people who simply infer it's bad based on it being from CAI.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c306/HoboFactory/_IGP3530.jpg?1284928880

Katophract
September 19, 2010, 06:42 PM
Century does have issues, but I'd also take anything I hear from Arfcom with a grain of salt. They're not exactly the most unbiased people.

leadcounsel
September 24, 2010, 11:48 AM
bump for other opinions

zombieslayer
September 24, 2010, 12:00 PM
Actually, raftman, I have heard that about the CAI VZ's. I have a CZ52 that was imported by Century, maybe a VZ would look nice next to it....

leadcounsel
May 22, 2011, 03:44 PM
Took mine to the range recently. Was impressed at the light weight vs. the AK47. It feels about 10% smaller and lighter. Very easy manual of arms and accurate. I enjoyed it. Seems like a very good built too. One of my 4 mags didn't seem to work unfortunately, but it was a mag issue, not the weapon. It would not stay in the weapon. I recommend checking these out.