PDA

View Full Version : What's an AR

General P.
September 17, 2010, 04:00 PM
Was familiar with the AR when first developed, but have no idea now what to look for now. Which model in .223 is the high quality AR easily repairable with reasonably available parts (and low cost mags)? What would you recommend?

S&W Kinda Guy
September 17, 2010, 04:06 PM
I dont know who makes the "best" AR, but my Smith & Wesson M&P15 has been very good, accurate, and reliable, and can be had for a fair price.

thesheepdog
September 17, 2010, 04:09 PM
Well with major break-through in technology and engineering, there are so many options out there.

As far as top quality, you will want to look at Colt, Bravo Company USA, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LMT, etc.
All make mil-spec AR rifles.
If you're just needing something to plink with look at DPMS, CMMG, STAG, Rock River Arms, S&W M&P.

I don't know exactly what you'll be using your AR for, so if you wouldn't mind sharing that with us, so we can help you further. Because there are almost way too many options out there for the novice.

As far as low cost mags, look at the Magpul PMAGS. The best in the business and can be had for $12-$15 each.

jsimmons
September 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
I would recommend building your own. You'll end up spenmding a little less money, but with a rifle of a quality that you're willing to pay for and with the features that YOU want.

lev83
September 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
Having good luck with my Del-Ton, but you also find CMMG and Daniel Defense as well as Sabre Arms to be quality guns. Probably best to establish a budget as to what you want to spend then narrow things down.

NYMarksman
September 17, 2010, 07:36 PM
The first thing I would suggest is to drop the .223 requirement and go with a 5.56 barrel, that way you can use either .223 or 5.56 ammunition otherwise you will only be able to use .223 ammo.
Secondly you should decide whether you want a carry handle model or a flat top model. You will have more available options for optics with a flat top type.
Thirdly you should decide on what length barrel you would perfer. Keep in mind that accuracy (within reason) will not be affected with different length barrels. The main difference will be velocity. The longer the barrel the greater the velocity.

Most good to high quality AR's are easily repaired and regarding mags, cheap mags are not a good idea. Good mags aren't that expensive and will save you from many possible "failure to feed" or "failure to eject" problems

Sheepdog has given you several manufacturers that sell high quality AR's and it might be a good place to start searching to give you a better idea of what type configuration you will want to pick.

riverwalker76
September 17, 2010, 09:42 PM
Build your own, and you will save hundreds of $$. :D

There are plenty of vids on Youtube that will help you, but I suggest getting an assembled Barreled Upper Receiver Group. Here is a checklist ....

~ Assembled Barreled Upper Receiver Group from Delton, CMMG, Rock River Arms, Bravo Company Manufacturing, Sherluk Marketing ... there are dozens to choose from.

~ Stripped Lower. This is what you have to go to the dealer for. It's the controlled part of the rifle.

~ Lower Parts Kit ... DPMS, Rock River Arms, Stag Arms, etc ...

~ Buttstock Kit

~ Complete Bolt Carrier Group ... again ... a dime a dozen.

~ Charging Handle

That's It!!! I built one for $600 this past spring, and it will out shoot any of my Bushmasters.

If you want to put in a better buffer and spring that what the Buttstock Kit comes with ... go to Sprinco, Wolff Gunsprings, or Bravo Company manufacturing for the spring & Bravo Company or Stag Arms for the buffer. Depending on what your configuration is will determine what spring and buffer to get. You don't have to switch them out from the kit, but it will increase reliability.

Do NOT go with a Colt lower if you want to save yourself a headache! Colt lowers are a pain in the tail, and you are only buying a name anyway. A lower is a lower. Forged or milled ... it makes no difference in a semi-auto anyway. ;)

RT
September 18, 2010, 06:44 AM
If you want something inexpensive but quality, just get a S&W M&P.

Lemmon
September 18, 2010, 07:52 AM
Ok, now you got my attention on building my own AR. What is the going price for a stripped lower?.... Where is a good place to find a good one. I assume Gun Shows but other good outlets. What should I LOOK for in a good stripped lower?

Thanks Lemmon

rjrivero
September 18, 2010, 09:49 AM
I thought I found some for less than $100. I've used lowers from Spike's tactical and never had any issues with them.

Google Search found them for $80. LINK HERE (http://eagleeyebigsky.com/store/spikestacticalstrippedlower-p-91.html?zenid=2vdmlc04hgkmagagq0o6ajen56).

riverwalker76
September 18, 2010, 10:26 AM
Ok, now you got my attention on building my own AR. What is the going price for a stripped lower?.... Where is a good place to find a good one. I assume Gun Shows but other good outlets. What should I LOOK for in a good stripped lower?

Thanks Lemmon

I bought another stripped lower for $86 including tax on Wednesday. ;) It's an Aero Precision and made from the same billets as Bushmaster, Stag Arms, Spikes, and S&W (they carry both aluminum and steel). I bought mine from Whittaker Guns. Here is a picture of them on the right side of the webpage. ... http://www.whittakerguns.com/

What people who bash brands fail to understand with AR-15 billets .... there are only 2 companies that make them in the US. Both are the exact same type of aluminum, and they come to the buying companies as a solid block. The companies then machine out the areas that need it, and engrave their name on the side with a serial number for the ATF.

c_jackson
September 18, 2010, 06:30 PM
While I am faithful to my Bushmaster and the company's selection of in-house parts and accessories, I'd have to cast a ballot for Smith and Wesson. I'm somewhat familiar to the brand and, admittedly a tad scornful of their models, but they have established themselves a contender on the market and are compatible with just about anything. A solid, universally workable weapon and much more forgiving than my Snake.

Ridge_Runner_5
September 18, 2010, 07:20 PM
S&W for a complete rifle
BCM for a complete upper half

lmccrock
September 20, 2010, 09:43 AM
A suggestion - first AR? Buy a complete rifle with warranty. Learn the system, cleaning, lubing, etc. And there are a few tools to buy that eat up any savings for the first build.

Second AR or want to modify the 1st? Do it yourself.

Pmags cost a little more than some other brands, but at about $14, cheap insurance.

Lee

B. Lahey
September 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
Colt.

RWBlue01
September 20, 2010, 10:14 AM
There are so many good options.

You can go with military clones of the M16 or M4.
AR-15
AR-15 A1
AR-15 A2
AR-15 A3
M4
SPR
REESE
Sub guns in 9mm or 40 or 5.7 or......
Or something that is not really any of the above.

Lets start off with, what do you want to do with the rifle?
Range toy?
Investment?
SHTF rifle?

How much do you want to spend?

Are you handy with tool (change the battery in your car, change the wiper blades)?