PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Kahr Pm9... thoughts?

rsxr22
September 13, 2010, 04:26 PM
first the ****....
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu267/rsxr22/Pistols/IMG_0096.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu267/rsxr22/Pistols/IMG_0095.jpg
I recently picked up a Kahr PM9, thinking of pocket carry. My first experience with a Kahr CW40 was absolutely awful and i said i would never purchase one again, but i gave this guy a try and through 100 rounds she has been flawless and imo is much better quality than the CW. It definitely has some recoil, but it is quite manageable and accurate for its size.
The size is kind of the thing that bothers me though, call me crazy but i kind of like having a compact gun instead of sub, the extra weight lets me know where the gun is and i dont forget im carrying it. Does anyone else share the same feelings? I tried the whole pocket carry thing and personally dont care for it. So if i keep it, i will be carrying iwb. I really want to like the gun, im just thinking its a bit too small and thin for me

hdawson228
September 13, 2010, 04:30 PM
My experience with the CW9 has been nothing but pleasure. You are right about one thing. It's so comfortable to carry, I often forget it's there on the hip. I've since added the Crimson Trace laser because of aging eyes and dressed in a Mitch Rosen holster.:cool:

orionengnr
September 13, 2010, 04:42 PM
I have had mine for a bit over four years. Had the barrel peening issue, Kahr fixed it and I carried it every day for three years plus.

I have owned a lot of pistols, and a fair number of 9mms (two 3rd gen S&Ws, two Glocks, at least four HK P7s, two EMPs, and a few more I'm forgetting at the moment) but the PM9 is the only 9mm I currently own, and I don't have anything on the "wish list".

About a year ago I started carrying the P45, but the PM9 isn't going anywhere. It's a keeper.

OldLincoln
September 13, 2010, 05:38 PM
I've had my PM9 almost a year and if all goes as it has so far, I'll be carrying it until I'm done and my son can carry it. It carry's, conceals, shoots well.

I also have a Colt LW commander that I carry occasionally but if feels like a brick on my hip.

rsxr22
September 13, 2010, 05:47 PM
I agree that it conceals super good. My thing is i always said that i wouldnt sacrifice size for a assured grip out of the holster when looking at carry guns. I cant get a good grip on the gun quickly unless i have the extended magazine in the gun. I hate how they didnt finish the baseplate off around the entire magazine on the 7 rounder! Not sure why they styled it like that.

somedudefromhouston
September 13, 2010, 07:15 PM
Got one, carry it in summer, BUG in winter, very accurate, I used it in an IDPA BUG match and was quite impressed with its point shoot ability. No peening, no bitching.

EastSideRich
September 13, 2010, 07:20 PM
It's shockingly accurate for such a small gun (or at I'm surprisingly accurate with it).
I love the fact that it carries so comfortably; I went from carrying a Sig P229 .40 to this and it makes a world of difference.
The only complaints I have are the odd magazine design
(which is easily resolved by picking up a Pearce grip extension, which gives it a very nice grip to hold on to without adding much bulk)

and the very aggressive checkering on the grip (I highly recommend getting some of that Agrip stuff).

I'm guessing that you will really come to like the size - if you carry on your belt.
I think it's too big and not really shaped right for pocket carry (maybe coat pocket I guess if your holster is attached inside your pocket somehow)

Mokumbear
September 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
What exactly is the "barrel peening issue"?

How common and how serious is it?

Forgive me for adding another topic, but the message I am getting here
seems to contradict earlier info I got here regarding PM9 pocket carry.

It seems a lot of people seem to prefer IWB carry for the PM9.

I have thought of going with the PM9 and an LCP so I can be well prepared
for any "social occasion" as one member humorously notes.

Well, unless I find a .45 that is almost as effortless to carry IWB
as the PM9. (Checking out earlier post).

Dreaming and saving...

tightgrouper
September 13, 2010, 08:19 PM
That's the deal with myself as well. I'm with ya on where my piece is, and that is a critical issue with me. I really like capacity, and IWB in a certain place. Same place everytime, any pair of pants or shorts. Always @ 5 o'clock. And since I got a decent IWB holster that holds the gun a little higher. I really have to have it right there. It's a medium-frame pistol that's slim enough, (Glock 19), and I keep it snug, and there always. I can run with it. I jog with my dog with it. It's a quick draw. It's my way. It would feel all wrong any other way.

A friend of mine has the .40 like yours, but with the bare stainless slide. That was his main point to me was the, "I can slip it right into my pocket." Him speaking of his Kahr.
I don't wanna have to fish for my 1st and last defense at all. I like to know it's right there ready all the time.

That is a very goodlooking gun! Just tote it IWB if that's how you're comfy.
And just for input, and because you mentioned it. The Kahr is just a little small for me as well. It'll be a comfy carry if you can get accustomed to it.

IMTHDUKE
September 13, 2010, 08:45 PM
Mine is now broken in with over 200 rds with zero problemo.

I pocket carry in a superfly....It fits side cargo pocket like it was made for it.
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/imthduke/GUNS/BlackRose_best.jpg

2cooltoolz
September 13, 2010, 10:20 PM
I think you'll learn to love it...I post this pic with the IWB leather, because it makes a more photogenic contrast, and I actually have a couple of IWBs for my PM9...but it gets carried 98.5% of the time in my pocket, in a beat up old DeSantis nemesis.

http://2cooltoolz.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pm9onblack.jpg

I've long ago lost track of my round count. I was around 1400-1500 when I lost count, and honestly, now that I trust it and know I can hit with it, it just goes two or three magazines-full per range visit. I just have other guns that are more fun to shoot. But I don't carry them.

The point being, on break-in, I had four fail-to-feeds in the first five hundred (three of those in the first two hundred), and only one since, about a month ago. A quick tap, rack, bang took care of it, and I shrugged it off. Happens. Had one on the same day with my P245, first one ever. Must have been me. Using WWB FMJs in both guns. I still trust 'em completely.

NWCP
September 14, 2010, 02:42 AM
My PM9 is the only pistol I carry in the summer months, or when deep concealment is needed. Being realistic about it the PM9 is not a range day gun. It's purpose is to be easily concealed and used for a few close up and personal well placed shots in the event of your life being threatened. It's a handful due to its small size, but it's the size that sells it as a great little CCW. I carry mine in an IWB clip on holster. I say keep it and find yourself a 9mm service pistol for all day plinking at the gun range. The PM9 is a quality pistol and won't let you down if you should ever need to use it. Mine likes 124 grain Golden Saber JHP. I've yet to have a failure in all the time I've owned it and that's been a while. JMHO

Uncle Malice
September 14, 2010, 07:07 AM
Nice one rsxr. You also have a PPS don't you?

If so, I am interested to hear your comparison.

I was looking at both the PPS and PM9, but went with the PPS. Something in me is still interested in the PM9.

rsxr22
September 14, 2010, 08:38 AM
Yes i have the PPS too and i really feel like its going to be hard to beat it. It all depends on the application which one is using it for, but i much prefer the larger grip of the PPS as of right now. It is just much easier to grab more efficiently and get out of my holster.

I dont mind the Kahr trigger that much, but i kept having trigger freezes because i am used to shooting from reset with 1911's, glocks, and the like. So when i was practicing rapid follow up shots, sometimes i did not let the trigger reset and didnt pull the follow up shot as quickly as i wanted too. The Kahr trigger is almost better off being slapped and im not too sure if im prepared to give it that kind of attention in training. If i start to see that it is screwing up the shooting of my duty and competition guns, im pretty sure its going to get gone, because there are many other guns where i wouldnt have to worry about that sort of thing.