PDA

View Full Version : Glock wipe-down

tightgrouper
September 11, 2010, 08:14 AM
Or any "corrosion resistant" gun.
Do you give it a daily light lube wipe-down?

jhenry
September 11, 2010, 08:35 AM
The only time the exterior of my Glock gets anything near a wipedown is during cleaning. Even then, it is really only to wipe off any oil or solvent on the outside. Rain, sweat, barbeque sauce, never a spot of rust or discoloration of any sort. There are some holster wear spots.

seemorecake
September 11, 2010, 08:36 AM
I dont wipe it down every day , but i do after every session or shooting. Should i be wiping it down every day? if so with what? im curious to see what other people say.

rauke
September 11, 2010, 08:38 AM
The G23 I carry gets cleaned only after being fired, and once a month for "regular" maintenance.

Otherwise, it lives in its Kydex holster.

Hasn't had any problems at all.

AK103K
September 11, 2010, 09:00 AM
I wipe mine down and/or hit them with an air can, every couple of days, simply to get the dust bunnies off of them.

I do use Eezox on everything while cleaning, but I dont see that its really necessary with the Glocks. Does seem to make cleaning a little easier next time out though.

bakon
September 11, 2010, 09:16 AM
No-waste of oil and time. Clean when dirty only.

m&p45acp10+1
September 11, 2010, 09:29 AM
I sweat heavily, and I carry my G26 IWB. Once a week i use a patch that I put a few drops of oil on, and let dry. The oil left is perfect for the exterior wipe down. I then wipe with a clean dry cloth. No rust on it yet.

ClydeFrog
September 11, 2010, 12:24 PM
Glocks, HK USPs-P2000s, S&W military and police, Beretta M9s, SIG Sauers, etc all have high tech protective surfaces or coatings. They can withstand hard use or bad weather but they are not made to be mistreated or not cleaned at all. ;)
A good synthetic based CLP like Gunzilla, Weaponshield or Eezox can help maintain a well made pistol. A quick wipe with a treated cloth or clean shop rag can prevent any problems with rust(oxidation) or corrosive elements. Wearing a covered holster or a design with a bodyshield is a good idea too if sweat, rain, dust, etc are issues.
As I've posted in the past on other threads & forums, while stationed in Panama City Panama(FT Clayton) as a US Army MP, I observed a plainclothes MPI(criminal investigator) draw & clear his issued Beretta M9. As he drew the 9mmNATO pistol, I noticed how the M9's slide which was in a cheap leather belt-slide concealment holster was covered with a red-brown rust!
That was a good way to explain why proper care & regular inspections are important even with duty type pistols like a M9, Glock or SIG-Sauer.

Don P
September 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
If you carry it daily, why not. I will look at my daily carry every time it comes off at night and a quick wipe down unload and a look down the pipe. Reload and ready for the next day.

X_shooter
September 11, 2010, 04:42 PM
"Should i be wiping it down every day? if so with what? im curious to see what other people say."

Wipe down of metal guns to me meant solvent wipe/dry/oil wipe/wipe off excess to all metal parts.

I think the question may be: Are you wiping your polymer weapons down with something? Oil does not seem applicable. I only wipe oil on and off of metal parts as a protectant.

Shin71
September 11, 2010, 05:02 PM
Once a year for my safe guns (maybe twice) but other than that it is once a month for carry guns.

Nakanokalronin
September 12, 2010, 03:55 AM
Unless you have acid sweat you shouldn't be able to rust a Glock unless a scratch or ding is deep enough that it compromised the metal. Glocks Tennifer finish and the XDs melonite finish is IN the metal so even if you where to take all of the exterior finish off it is still protected.

ETA: I've always used an IWB holster with a sweat guard for any pistol carried to even further add to the protection of the firearm.

rsmckee
September 12, 2010, 04:23 AM
I personally carry a Glock 19 daily on duty as an armed guard. I will break it down after shooting at the range and clean it extensively. I use weapon shield as a buddy turned me on to it and it works great. If I don’t get to the range I will wipe it down with a rag that I have let accumulate a little weapon shield and then dry wipe. I have had no trouble with rust or malfunction to this point.

Dashunde
September 12, 2010, 09:02 AM
I dont clean daily, maybe weekly, and only because of IWB carry.
I chase off the dust bunnies with a air can and run a quick patch (lite oil) thru the barrel.
No exterior care is needed.

During IWB carry the gun is usually cooler than your body, therefore sweat vapors (carrying salt) will condensate inside of the barrel and the rest of the gun.

Kreyzhorse
September 12, 2010, 11:26 AM
When I carry in hot weather, I'll tend to wipe any gun down with an oil rag or a silicone cloth. Don't know that it's needed every time but it's easy to do and oil rags are pretty cheap to make. Silicone rags aren't too bad either.

DPris
September 12, 2010, 01:06 PM
I carried my issued 17 from '88 to '95, on duty and off, in leather (I'm allergic to Kydex :) ).
I still have it.
It shows a good deal of the phosphate rubbed off here & there, but over the years the only attention the outside of the pistol got was when it was cleaned. No pitting, no problem.

I did make very sure the off-duty holster was a type that covered the rear of the slide to prevent any direct contact with my skin, and between the correct leather & the polymer frame that can't rust where it does touch, that combination is one I still use on occasion today if I'm going to be working outdoors in activities that may produce sweating.
My normal 1911 with wood grips, even in a good thumbbreak, still picks up moisture when worn under an untucked shirt.
The Glock, with the right leather, doesn't. It's one of the strong points of the Glock design.

Denis

tightgrouper
September 12, 2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks much for the replies!
I need to get some air cleaner cans. I like that idea for getting rid of the cotton/lint/dust-bunnies that get in the crevices.

I'm kinda testing this Glock. (1st Glock) I'm seeing how it functions after a little neglect. I'm not treating it with irreparable neglect by any means. I'm just pushing it a little. So far the G19 shows up, and functions like a champ everytime regardless. e.g. dry, after DCC for 6wks with no attention (oil/wipe-downs), etc...Hasn't failed. I'm not dragging the thing behind a truck, and wouldn't do some stupid stuff like that. I'm just seeing how it functions without being pampered.
Gaston created a heck-of-a pistol.

rtpzwms
September 12, 2010, 02:03 PM
barbeque sauce

:confused: OH, I got it "Glock its whats for dinner!":D

AK103K
September 12, 2010, 02:05 PM
If you leave it laying around with BBQ sauce on it, the dog will sure think so, and I'll bet that wont be pretty when hes done. :D

DPris
September 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
Longtime glockman Tom Graham told me the story years ago of a Glock sent to him for "service".
The owner's dog had removed most of the grip area up to the triggerguard.
The absence of sauce is no guarantee.... :)

Denis

jhenry
September 12, 2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
barbeque sauce
OH, I got it "Glock its whats for dinner!"

I likes my barbeque, what can I say :D

J.Netto
September 12, 2010, 06:47 PM
I wipe mine down daily after carrying with a silicone cloth. My OCD won't let me get by without doing that. :D

If I don't carry it, I won't wipe it down. Other than that, I'll give it a good cleaning using EEZOX every month or two...

JakeTheSnake
September 16, 2010, 02:27 PM
Originally I was planning on carring a Glock 27 for CC, but as I'm a skinny -------, I swapped that for a LCP. Not a bad gun, just a really loooong DA trigger pull. Right now I'm carrying a Sig P238, and I love it. I have 300 rounds down the pipe, and not a single hiccup. I think a lot of the problems related to the gun were magazine related, as opposed to a design flaw...

charliechalmers
September 16, 2010, 03:08 PM
Not on my Glock, but on my blued carry gun. I wipe carry gun down with a silicone rag every few days, cant hurt the glock though.

Daryl
September 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
Daily exterior wipedown? Not usually. If it gets wet, then sure.

Firearms WILL collect a lot of "debris" when carried. The least of that debris will be on the outside, and it's usually the least damaging, IMO.

I took the side-plate off of my S&W 637 yesterday and sprayed out the action with gunscrubber. The thing had lint, dirt, and gunk all over in there, and it hadn't been that long since I'd done it. It happens.

I can field strip a Glock pistol in less than 10 seconds, and if the outside needs wiped down, then the inside does too.

It's just not that big of a deal, and I like to have the entire gun cleaned up, rather than just the outside.

I do it about once every week or two, depending on the conditions it's exposed to, and it seems to work pretty well.

Daryl