PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Rifle..Please help!

dang7997
September 10, 2010, 07:44 PM
I have aquired a rifle from my cousin after my uncle passed away. We do not know what it is and the gun shop here in town thought it was a Mosin–Nagant with sport stock but the 7.62 ammo was a little to large. Here are a few photos and I can send or post more if someone can help me.

littlmak
September 10, 2010, 07:59 PM
can you post some pics of the stampings and model #'s ( not serial #'s ) That would help

James K
September 10, 2010, 08:22 PM
Make a note to NOT allow the guy in the sport shop to make your travel arrangements - he can't tell Russia from Italy.

The rifle is an Italian Mannlicher-Carcano with a U.S. made sporting stock. I can't tell the exact model of Carcano from those pictures, but in any case it has little collector value in its current condition. If it has not been altered, it is probably chambered for the 6.5x52 Italian Carcano cartridge, but could be one of those made for the 7.35mm. 6.5 ammunition is fairly easy to get; 7.35 is almost unavailable. In any case, to use the rifle, a clip (6 round) is needed; like the U.S. M1 (Garand) rifle, the clip enters the action and the rifle won't work as a repeater without it. When the clip is empty, it drops out the hole in the bottom of the magazine.

Jim

dang7997
September 10, 2010, 08:57 PM
it has FP on one side once i removed stock and SG in a circle with a symbol near it. cannot make out what the letters are in the top. what would you guess the value is in current condition? thank you very much.

RJay
September 10, 2010, 11:56 PM
Not sure about the market place, but me, myself and I, if I found a very good condition sporterized Carcano for a 100 dollars, I might buy it just to play with. If the price was 101 dollars, I would pass.

dang7997
September 11, 2010, 08:04 PM
it seems to be in great working order..I am not looking to buy but rather thinking of selling...i was owed $50 and knew if i didnt take the gun in exchange for money, knew i probably never see the money..lol

James K
September 11, 2010, 08:15 PM
I guess you got your $50 worth, but not a lot more. You might be able to trade it off at a gun shop, or sell it with hunting season coming up. Some folks like to have guns like that as loaners.

Jim