PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M96 Brigadier

labratt104
September 7, 2010, 10:04 PM
I have a M96 Brigadier in stainless, well-cared for. I went to the gunshop where I had purchased this gun 2 years earlier, and wanted to trade it in on a S&W M41. When I took it out of the box, the guy behind the counter got a look on his face like I had just handed him a chunk of not-quite dry dog poo. He didn't even look it over, just handed it back and said "not interested in trading". Didn't even make an offer.

Is there something about the Brigadier that I don't know?

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab314/labratt104/BerettaM96R1.jpg

Ricky
September 7, 2010, 10:19 PM
Looks like a really nice gun to me, If I were in the market I'd be interested. I've already bought 2 handguns in the last year, don't need another.

DrBundy
September 8, 2010, 09:04 AM
Well, it's impossible for us to know what was on the mind of your LGS guy, but I'd guess that the gun wasn't what he wanted at the time. Lots of Beretta guys go gaga for a Brig slide, but not everyone is a collector. Plus you have the black controls, whereas the inox controls are preferred. There's nothing wrong with any of that, but your guy probably doesn't want another (sort of) common gun in his inventory. Carrying inventory can get expensive.

FWIW, I had a NIB W. German Sig P226 with a LOW serial number in original box w/ all paperwork and such. I tried to trade a shop owner and he told me "he had too many already". I don't know how many minty fresh vintage P226's the guy really had, but he wasn't interested. Oh well. I sold it to a co-worker for more than I was looking to get in trade.

Anyway, the Brig is an awesome slide for a .40 cal round, so I'm sure you'll have no trouble trading it or selling it outright to someone that will appreciate it.

Destructo6
September 8, 2010, 09:10 AM
Those guys are in the business to make you believe that what they have is gold and what you have is poo.

I've had something similar happen to me where I later saw the same gun that I wanted to trade on their shelves for 3+ times what I was seeking in trade. Very irritating to say the least.

BTW, that's a nice looking Beretta.

Jimmy10mm
September 8, 2010, 09:15 AM
I had the same experience with a model 96D. A beautiful deep blue, made in Italy, DAO .40 cal pistol. I was told by a couple of LGS that "nobody" wanted a DAO gun. One of the stores didn't want it at all and the other guy didn't want to make an offer because he said he didn't want me to feel insulted. :rolleyes:

I ended up selling the pistol privately. Since then I've had occasion to offer a couple of hand guns to brick and mortar dealers and I've found that it is insane to go that way. They may offer you less than half of what you would expect to get in a private sale. Good luck with your Brigadier.

ClydeFrog
September 8, 2010, 09:16 AM
That 96 .40 Brigader looks great. ;)
Some pawn & gun shop clerks are just inept nitwits. I had to pawn my LE surplus Beretta .40 96D in 2007. I never shot the pistol and had it treated with Robar black oxide & NP3(with 3 NP3 plated 11rd pistol mags). The police special model had trijicon 3 dot sights and was kept in a padded gun case. The pawn shop clerk inspected the 96D and made a face because it had no hammer spur and was DA only. He clearly had little knowledge or training with military/LE type duty weapons.
I prefer DA only type Beretta models but I do like the newer Brigader style.
I'm not sure what you would ask for the 96 but you could post it on www.GunsAmerica.com .
Local shops & pawn places are just going to short change you.

Leejack
September 8, 2010, 09:17 AM
When you're selling it, it's junk!

When they're selling it, it's the greatest gun on the planet!

That's how it is where I live!:mad:

BTW: Awesome Beretta my friend!;)

Lee

KurtC
September 8, 2010, 02:02 PM
Take your 96 Inox Brig over to:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18

That is where you will likely get the most for it. :)