PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing Scope

Homerboy
September 5, 2010, 08:06 PM
Just put a Nikon Prostaff on my Mini 14, and am taking it to the range this week. Do you adjust the scope to follow the bullet impact, or vice versa? In other words, if the shots are hitting low, do I dial the scope up to meet the bullet impact?

emcon5
September 5, 2010, 08:11 PM
You adjust the scope the direction you want the bullet to go.

Homerboy
September 5, 2010, 08:19 PM
So if I am hitting low and right, I adjust up and left? So I am not trying to match the crosshairs with the bullet impact?

Jim Watson
September 5, 2010, 08:26 PM
Well, you are, but the adjustments are marked so it looks like you are moving the POI not the POA.

the rifleer
September 5, 2010, 08:26 PM
You got it. If you are hitting left, you want to dial the scope to the right. If you are hitting high, you dial down.

I usually take 2 or 3 shots before i adjust just to make sure that its the rifle and not me that is off.

dawico
September 5, 2010, 09:09 PM
To simplify it, you are moving the bullet to the crosshairs. It seems backwards, but that is how it goes.

Also, shoot at 25 yards first to get it close, and then fine tune it at your prefered range. This technique may save you some ammo.

noyes
September 5, 2010, 09:27 PM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62828&stc=1&d=1283739784

Aim at center of target , fire three shots. All 3 shots are high and to the left.

Block rifle up aimed at center of target. Move crosshairs to line up with holes.

TheNatureBoy
September 6, 2010, 06:04 AM
I might be too late but if you didn't you might want to bore sight it before going to the range. You'll save a lot of time and ammo.

blume357
September 6, 2010, 06:41 AM
I would start at least a lot closer. I've seen guys with scoped rifles that needed a lot less than 50 yards to get on paper.

I've never read any instructions on this but I only dial in a scope one way.... either left or right and then I dial up and down... takes more ammo but seems to work better.

Since you have a really good scope, you need to know the minute of angle each 'click' on the scope will adjust for you.... I think the Nikon Prostaffs have quarter MOA which relates to 1/4" at 100 yards...

1 MOA at 100yards is pretty close to 1 Inch, but

1 MOA at 50 yards is 1/2 inch

skoro
September 6, 2010, 05:25 PM
Here's the easy way. Being a naturally lazy guy, it's what I prefer.

Mount your rifle in a gun vise or other secure rest. Fire one round. Note where it strikes the paper. Adjust your crosshairs to the hole. You're all set, except for any tiny improvements you might want.