PDA

View Full Version : Loctite Alternative

DRL1187
September 3, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hello,

I am mounting a scope on my new rifle and I want to put something on the screws to keep them secure but I don't want to use Loctite. Is there another altnerative?

Thanks

DRL

smoakingun
September 3, 2010, 04:39 PM
tignten them with a screwdriver, keep a screwdriver in your case so they can be tightened before you head out and if they shoot loose

Jim Watson
September 3, 2010, 04:45 PM
What's wrong with one of the milder grades of Loctite?

My neighbor the gunsmith had a glob of raw linseed oil on his bench that he secured screws with.

Fingernail polish?

What is your objective for a different thread seal?

Straightshooter629
September 3, 2010, 06:38 PM
There are different strengths of Loctite. The one you use depends on the degree of hold you need.

dahermit
September 3, 2010, 07:05 PM
Before Loctite, in the "olden days", we put a little finger nail polish on the treads. It worked well.

Stumper
September 3, 2010, 07:55 PM
Fingernail polish, varnish, lacquer, Superglue.....Why don't you wish to use Loctite?

Old Grump
September 3, 2010, 08:01 PM
Loctite - 242 Blue, not to be confused with the industrial strength glues or the red loctites. Best friend a gunner ever had besides a good bore solvent and a good lube. Use it and be not afraid, available at any hardware store.

hooligan1
September 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
I have always used the blue locktite, for my .270 win, 3006, 7mm rem mag, and I do not have any issues with a scope being "bumped off" or loosing a zero. The yellow is the light hold, the blue is moderate, and the red is hard as hell to unscrew, I'd call that heavy hold.:) hold on didn't you post this very same thread in Art Of The Rifle??? :confused: DejaVue, wow.

Stumper
September 3, 2010, 08:13 PM
As others have said Loctite blue is the proper stuff-Hooligan , if you think Red is tough meet Loctite Purple.........remove with a torch or by machining!

hooligan1
September 3, 2010, 08:31 PM
Locktite PURPLE,??? What next? Locktite JB WELD???:eek: and thank god I never got ahold of that stuff, hehehe:D

Clemson
September 3, 2010, 10:07 PM
You don't need loctite on scope mount screws, nor do you need to muscle them in. Just screw them home firmly with the provided allen wrench, torx wrench, or a screwdriver. A bit of oil on the threads will prevent galling and will allow you to remove the scope or mount when you want to.

Bill Jacobs
[email protected]

Jimmy10mm
September 3, 2010, 10:13 PM
I've used the blue loctite for various applications. Also "hard as nails' polish that is supposedly stronger than ordinary fingernail polish. In either case they assisted in holding the screws securely but allowed removal if it was necessary.

Jim Watson
September 3, 2010, 10:28 PM
Purple Loctite I have seen was very mild for small screws, as in typewriters.

Now the green stuff...

10-96
September 3, 2010, 10:39 PM
Not too far off topic- but of interesting note... the Gun Smith I apprenticed under told me that some of the wartime Mauser building countries used iodine on bbl threads to lock (rust) together the bbls and receivers. I could see that happening with the need for something cheap, quick, and low cost. And, I'm sure that some of those factories didn't always have the luxury of taking the time to cut threads to the standards they would have in peace time. And, it esplains why I've seen some pretty dirty/rusted barrel shanks once they've been pulled.

ragwd
September 4, 2010, 01:24 AM
I used blued worked for me