PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys release your mags on the 1911?

Lavid2002
August 28, 2010, 02:14 PM
My hands aren't small, but there not huge either. I cant hit the magazine release on the 1911 without rotating the pistol to the left in my hand, or using my non dominant hand to press the release.

Tricks - Tips?

Thanks
-Dave

Casimer
August 28, 2010, 02:23 PM
I don't have this problem, but there are extended mag releases available that add some length and width to the release button - http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24677/Product/EXTENDED_MAGAZINE_RELEASE

Quantrill
August 28, 2010, 03:30 PM
I use the oversize mag. release button on my Colt Commander. Makes it easier for me.

TylerD45ACP
August 28, 2010, 03:40 PM
I have to rotate as my hands are medium size as well. I am 5' 8" 170lbs sometimes I'll just use my left hand to release the mag. I switch off it a pretty simple procedure just hit the release with you left thumb as your going for the mag. It can be just as fast. You could always switch the release to the right side and use your middle finger for mag dumps. Personally I dont see the need, if Im reloading Ill be behind cover/concealment. If there isn't any well then Id hope luck is with me ;), and would be moving around like a madman.

BillCA
August 28, 2010, 04:42 PM
You'll find that most people, except those with gorilla-like hands, have to rotate the gun in their grip slightly to release the magazine. It may take a little practice but it can be done quickly. It can be done fast enough that you can clear the magwell before you can pull a fresh mag and load it.

danite
August 28, 2010, 05:31 PM
you have to roll gun anyway for new mag insert to eyeball well. check army pistol team shooter vids they've got a very fast corporal who just blurs /roll/reach/grab&eject/insert.thats roll gun thumb the button while reaching and grabbing new mag while checking that mag is ejecting[just a glance]up comes mag,another quick glance to insure proper eye to hand, insert mag,level gun to target reacquire p.o.a.the guy does all that in less than a sec. he's shooting a glock so it might be in glock competition vids .i've had bad luck with extended mag release buttons and each one resulted in a holster change with no notable speed difference or ease of acquisition mostly just popped mag loose at wrong time getting in and out of vehicles or brushing against objects,take my word for it it is very,very embarrassing when that mag falls out in front of your bail-skip when your serving an arrest warrant for felony drug and weapons charges.it was on then,i'm lucky i had 50-60lbs on the guy and he could not withstand fighting outside his weight-class,but i still flunked that I.Q. test,switched back to o.e.m. that night,and later sold the extra holsters at a loss."we learn by doing,"IF"we survive the lesson"if your doing this under critical pressure your training will put you on auto-pilot,because your eyeballs will be on a swivel looking for threats,hence just a glance at your mag change activities,and practice really is critical it's just your life or your partner's or a loved one maybe,if you think guns are serious,be serious about your guns.practice,practice,practice

rsxr22
August 28, 2010, 05:55 PM
I shift the gun very quickly and it doesnt bother me, but like others have said, there are extended magazine releases out there. I personally like the Wilson w/ oversize button because the button can be removed and then you have a standard size release again

TylerD45ACP
August 28, 2010, 06:02 PM
The shift doesnt bother me either. The 1911 is so fluid in my hand once I release that slide it is back to point of aim. Ive been shooting pistols a long time and the 1911 is the one that feels like it was made for my hands.

Lavid2002
August 28, 2010, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the tips

-Dave

railroader
August 28, 2010, 11:44 PM
Slightly extended mag release. Good price, free shipping. I just got one from the guy and they look identical to the one on my older kimber. Mark

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=186873574

desertlord
August 31, 2010, 03:00 AM
With some practice the rotation in the hand will become second nature.

pilpens
August 31, 2010, 06:49 AM
I have big hands and I too have to shift the pistol to reach the mag release. As others have said, after some shooting you won't even notice your doing it.

oilfieldguy
August 31, 2010, 07:41 AM
I know one guy who uses his middle finger to release the mag. He tilts the muzzle skyward bringing his middle finger pad directly over the release button.

He has this routine down pretty slick.

I'm lucky in that 1911s were made for hands like mine.

In all seriousness, If a gun doesn't fit your hands, or always 'feels' awkward to you, find another gun.

Oldjarhead
August 31, 2010, 09:21 AM
It may take a little longer, but, I use my weak hand to release the mag and put in a fresh one with the weak hand. Why? I want to keep the same grip with my firing hand. I think taking the time to adjust your grip again, takes almost as much time than using the conventional strong hand thumb to release the mag. This is the case for me. Others may do it better I guess.

Auto426
August 31, 2010, 10:05 AM
I too have to slightly roll the gun in my hand to be able to reach the mag release and the slide release with my thumb. I really don't mind though, and actually kind of like it as it forces me to take my finger out of the trigger guard, making sure that my booger hook stays away from the bang switch during reloading.

RickB
August 31, 2010, 11:06 AM
Get an ambi mag release, and do it with the tip of your trigger finger. Lefties have had that advantage all along, when shooting "right-handed" pistols. I find it strange when a lefty complains that a gun doesn't have an ambi or reversible mag release, as using the finger is better all the way around. Most ADs that I've witnessed in competition have been the result of people reloading with their finger on the trigger; if your finger is busy doing something else, it won't be on the trigger.