PDA

View Full Version : Is this a GI issue M-9?

k Squared
August 25, 2010, 09:43 PM
I recently purchased the Berretta pistol shown in the attachments. I am trying to determine if it is a "GI issue M9".

The pistol has markings similar to photos of M9s I've seen. I have not seen M9 pictures with a "BER" in the serial number, though.

I have also not seen the "P" stamp on the forward right side of the trigger guard. Is this a proof mark?

Finally, the "PM" on the forward right side of the slide appears to have been done after manufacture. Is this a unit marking?

This pistol does not have the slide stop modification, and I assume it was withdrawn from service when the modified pistols were issued.

Any details you can provide on this pistol would be greatly appreciated.

Brian48
August 26, 2010, 11:53 AM
Unless it's just the camera angle, I don't believe any of the military issued M9s have the slanted dust cover. They're all straight.

IZinterrogator
August 26, 2010, 01:53 PM
No GI-issue M9 has letters in the serial. These are Beretta 92FS pistols marked as M9s, not true M9s. I'm not sure if the M9-marked 92FS pistols have the correct rear sights, but M9s have a single dot at the bottom of the rear sight notch, not two dots to either side of the notch.

k Squared
August 26, 2010, 05:50 PM
Good thing I didn't pay alot for it!

akadave
August 26, 2010, 07:47 PM
The M9 is essentially a 92FS with different sights and markings right?

Brian48
August 26, 2010, 08:16 PM
Some additional differences.

The dust cover on the 92fs is slanted. It's straight on the M9.

The upper portion of the grip on the 92fs has a slight relief molded into it. The M9 does not have this.

p99guy
August 26, 2010, 10:05 PM
The 92FS has had a straight dust cover, its only been in the last few years they are made with the slanted dust cover. M9 pistols still retain the straight dust cover.

the PM marking is normally applied after finish..and has to do with mil spec magnetic particle testing for cracks.

Govt issue M9's do not have letter prefixes in front of the serial number

the current commercial M9 has M9 in front of the serial, and no PM on slide, and has no cage numbers on the hammer...but otherwise identical to issue.

Yours appears to be one that came out about 10 years ago in the green plastic box, with pistol belt, and M12 holster/magpouch.
they went to a lot of trouble to make a kind of issued like commemretive, but didnt bother to put the right 2 dot sight on them.

dsk
August 27, 2010, 01:17 AM
I have one of those early M9 Special Edition pistols that came with the holster, mag pouch, etc. and it looks nothing like this. The PM is crudely engraved and right-side frame markings on this one appear to have been pantographed as well. Also the serial number range for the Special Edition pistols was M9-XXXX. This one looks like somebody wanted to create an M9 out of a commercial 92FS frame using a surplus GI slide.

Don P
August 27, 2010, 07:31 AM
You can get more info here, www.berettaforum.net