PDA

View Full Version : Glock Blank Firing Adapter

joeislove
August 25, 2010, 12:22 AM
I need to adapt one of my Glocks to fire blanks to be used for a movie I'm planning. I have been unable thus far to find a source for barrels that are adapted to this purpose.

I found a guide for preparing a barrel for a 1911 to fire blanks by threading the inside of the barrel to accept an adapter but further research indicates that Glock barrels are too hard to thread (something about the forging process or the rifling, from what I can tell).

Then I remembered the hundreds of helpful people here at TFL (I haven't lurked here in ages). I'm hoping one of you guys knows where I can find either a blank firing adapted barrel for a Glock, or tell me if you have heard of anyone who has successfully managed to thread the inside of a Glock barrel, or if you can recommend an aftermarket barrel that might be more suited to this purpose.

The Glock in question is a Glock 23, although I'd rather have a 9mm barrel because there seems to be a wider market for available blanks for that caliber.

Thanks in advance.

jhenry
August 25, 2010, 07:33 AM
I would get an aftermarket barrel from Lone Wolf or whatever is least expensive and thread the interior of that one, not the factory barrel. Start with a hole in the insert about the size of the flash hole and play around until you get good reliable function with the largest appeture possible.

We used to make m16 blank adapters by cutting off the base of a deprimed shell and filing it down a bit until it could slip in between the flashhider and the barrel. We would open the flash hole just a tad. I still have one. Looks, sounds, and functions much better than those red boxes and leaves less junk in the action.

joeislove
August 25, 2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. My plan is to go more or less with the directions outlined here: http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/1911Blank/index.html

My hesitation stems from reading somewhere (I can't find the link again) that the Glock barrel, for whatever reason, is too hard to easily tap threads into. I'm trying to avoid spending $100 or more on a barrel I plan to ruin if I'm not going to be able to tap threads into it.

Obviously, since the barrel will be for firing blanks, accuracy is not important. Any ideas where I might be able to find used or worn out barrels for cheap to practice on?

This was a lot easier with the M1, as there are pre-fitted BFAs you can just drop into the end of the barrel. I was hoping to find a supplier who makes pre-threaded Glock barrels for this purpose, but after days of Googling, I'm starting to think they don't exist.

jhenry
August 25, 2010, 06:45 PM
I have no idea if the stock Glock barrels are Tennifer treated, but I suspect they are and that is the reason for their supposed hardness. The Tennifer is really like a case hardening process in that it only penetrates a few thousandths. Once past that it is just ordinance steel and can be machined like any other. Aftermarket barrels do not have that treatment, so no worries. I would go for the cheapest aftermarket unit available and thread it for the insert. The stock barrel be installed later and the pistol returned to useful status.

joeislove
August 26, 2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the information. I will acquire and attempt to modify an aftermarket barrel of some kind. Will post an update with the results.