PDA

View Full Version : Mannlicher WWI?

TenmaNeko
August 21, 2010, 10:51 PM
Can anyone here identify this rifle? I believe it's a Steyr Mannlicher from around the WWI era. But it'd just a guess. It uses a bloc clip to load ammo from the top. If I recall correctly, the caliber was 8x50mmR. It is a straight pull bolt action, with double triggers. People I have asked haven't seen anything like it. The only marking I could find was a serial number.

Thanks for any help.

tater134
August 22, 2010, 02:25 AM
Its a very nicely done Steyr M95 sporting rifle.Ive seen a few others that are similar and they dont appear to be very common.Thats about all I can tell you.

PetahW
August 22, 2010, 07:06 PM
I believe that style of full-stocked sporting rifle is referred to as a Stuzen (sp), or stalking, rifle.

The 1895 Steyr-Werke commercial sporters were fairly popular in Europe, prior to the introduction of the Model 1898 by the Mauser Company - who soon introduced Sporting Rifles in 4 configs based on the Model 1898.

Many users, though, still preferred the older/smoother, cock-on-closing rifle.

TenmaNeko
August 23, 2010, 04:10 PM
Interesting! Is there any way to tell how old it is?

Does anyone still make the ammo for it? I'd kind of like to (literally) give it a shot.

Rampant_Colt
August 23, 2010, 04:16 PM
8X56R ammo is still available from a few places
I like the double-set triggers and wood on that one!
Cool rifles!

tater134
August 23, 2010, 05:32 PM
Interesting! Is there any way to tell how old it is?

Does anyone still make the ammo for it? I'd kind of like to (literally) give it a shot.

8x50R is out there if you look around.I know there are one or two places that will custom load it.I dont know of any that is produced commercially.

Esteban32696
August 24, 2010, 10:36 AM
Be careful !! There are TWO different ammo sizes for these old rifles.The earlier ones were 8 x 50R , then many were upgraded to 8 x 56R. DO NOT substitute any ammo in it that it wasn't designed for !! If there is a large " S or H " on top of the receiver , then consider it to be 8 x 56R. Both , in surplus ammo , are very hard && $$ to find, but I have a little 8 x 56R that I will sell. PM me if interested. Must have the clips to load & fire unless you want to shoot it one at a time.

Hardcase
August 24, 2010, 11:50 AM
Buffalo Arms (http://www.buffaloarms.com) sells both 8x50R and 8x56R. At well over a buck a cartridge, it's not exactly a bargain. I think that dies are available for both cartridges if you look hard.

Mike Irwin
August 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
If it was a rifle built on the military straight pull action, but intended to be a commercial rifle, there's also a very good chance that it's NOT chambered in either the 8x50 or 8x56.

You need to do a chamber cast to determine the proper chambering.

TenmaNeko
August 24, 2010, 04:27 PM
There were a few cartridges left in the clips, but they were quite old looking. A couple had cracked brass. I'm hoping my father didn't throw them away. I'll check with him and see if he still has them.