PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 ammo answer

EM545
August 19, 2010, 07:45 PM
I recently brought a 30-06 rifle, and was shopping for ammo, and I found a good deal on bulk sell M1 grand ammo surplus. I was wondering if it would be ok to use it in my rifle without damaging it. Someone with experiance please answer.

Rottweiler
August 19, 2010, 08:03 PM
"Garand safe" ammo is loaded with powders that have burn rates that allow pressures to drop to a level that will not damage the op rod.

Since you didn't mention the make and model of your rifle I'm going to guess that you rifle is a bolt action. The Garand ammo will be safe in just about any bolt action rifle.

Ozzieman
August 19, 2010, 08:07 PM
If it’s military, what is the date on the ammo?
I believe that the change from corrosive primers that used mercury to non corrosive was sometime around the mid 50,s so if the date is after that is should be OK.
But the big question is what gun you’re going to shoot it in. Some surplus that I have seen and purchased recently were 168 gr bullets and were very hard recoiling in an M1 Grand.
I think they were Philippine manufacture.
You need to add more information, whose surplus ammo, the age and what you’re shooting it in to get a better answer to your question.
Here is a good location for 30/06.
https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=AMC
Here is another location I have had great service from,,, but I am sorry to say he is out of 30-06 right now but give him a call. If nothing else you can tell how fair the price you are looking at is.
http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

hooligan1
August 19, 2010, 08:55 PM
Corrosive primers til the mid forties, from what I've heard. If you find some milsurp that has an older than 50's stamp on it, shoot it, but clean your barrel like you would for black powder, Soapy hot water!!!:) As far as power goes it's perfectly safe, if it's intention was for the M1 Garand!!:) And by the way, What rifle did you buy?

EM545
August 19, 2010, 10:05 PM
Ammo-very good (production form st. Louis)(SL53 headstamped) yr.1953 ap and ball non corrosive grain standard I guess?

Rifle-Alexandria Interarms bolt action yr. model ?

kraigwy
August 19, 2010, 10:08 PM
Your rifle will handle it just fine, its good ammo. Shoot it until its gone and then go to the CMP website and order more.

hooligan1
August 19, 2010, 10:09 PM
Hey man you have a very nice rifle, no fooling.;) No problemo with the Ammo!! Enjoy shooting this rifle, and try a series of different ammo, to get your best grouping!! Happy Shooting Dude!!:D

lmccrock
August 20, 2010, 07:36 AM
Ammo-very good (production form st. Louis)(SL53 headstamped) yr.1953 ap and ball non corrosive grain standard I guess
Might be corrosive, if it is original GI ammo of 1953. There was a company demilling and reassembling ammo with non-corrosive primers so a SL53 headstamp so that would be ok, but the early/mid 50's was when M2 ball transitioned to non-corrosive.

You might save the AP ammo. If original, it may be worth more unfired.

Lee

Ozzieman
August 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
They stopped using corrosive primers between 1920 and mid 1950’s depending on manufacture.
There is some good information on this in the CMP forum.
Mercury production was stopped in 1900.

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-3513.html