PDA

View Full Version : Sig 556

EdInk
August 19, 2010, 08:36 AM
I just got done reading a great write-up (imagine that) about this rifle. It appears to have alot of features that appeal to me. It a piston system and has non-AR ergonomics (looks "kinda sorta" H&K/FAL combination) comes with good ironsights, a cheap optic and will take standard AR magazines.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any owners or people with experience shooting this rifle? Thoughts, concerns, comments........

The price is STEEP like all Sig products BUT (even though I don't care for them) their pistols are great guns. Thanks.

Destructo6
August 19, 2010, 03:30 PM
Ergonomics are similar to an AR. It's more of an AR/AK hybrid (AK operation, AR control placement/feel) than a FAL/HK blend.

I have one of the earlier SIG556s with the M4 style stock. I'm not going to part with it.

5.56RifleGuy
August 19, 2010, 04:18 PM
I shot another guys sig556 at the range one day. Felt pretty much the same as my AR. He seemed to be enjoying it.

sonrider657
August 19, 2010, 04:45 PM
I also shot a friend's Sig ... then promptly handed it back to him and returned to my AR15. Not impressed.

zombieslayer
August 19, 2010, 05:43 PM
I like the sig's. They don't have problems with "carrier tilt". I'd trade my piston-M&P's for 556's in a heartbeat. I think the prices have come down, too.

ejfalvo
August 19, 2010, 06:31 PM
I've owned a 556 SCM with the fixed stock for about 2 years. I've put hundreds of rounds thru it without any issues - ONCE THEY CHANGED OUT THE BARREL. With the original barrel I couldn't hit a paper plate at 100 yards. I sent it back to Sig and had it replaced within 10 days. The rifle (1:7 twist) definitely prefers heavier ammo. I typically get much tighter groups with 69 gr or higher ammo - Hornaday 72 gr is the best for tight groups out to 300 yards. 55 or 62 gr is fine for just plinking.

I have not had a single issue with the Sig. It eats any ammo I run through it. I purchased it because i wanted Sig quality (customer service as it was) and the fact that it didn't look like every other AR out there.

I paid $1400, which given the prices of ARs was high but then again I wanted that particular firearm.

Cawdor
August 19, 2010, 07:16 PM
I've developed an itch for a 556 because I like my 522 so much, but this thread (http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=6753) has reduced my urge to scratch it.

LaserSpot
August 19, 2010, 07:50 PM
It's a nice rifle, but the iron sights may be a minor issue if you don't like the stock front sight. It doesn't fold down and you can see it in the scope. Does anyone make a fold-down front sight that works with the original rear sight?

According to this, SIG sights have been made in 5 different heights, and AR type sights are way too high: http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/sig556.shtml

Katophract
August 19, 2010, 08:10 PM
My brother had a Sig, aside from liking heavier bullets, it was a joy to shoot. Never jammed, accurate as an AR, I like the charging handle better. Not a problem with it at all. I'd have it over an AR. I love the blend of AK/AR workings though. Easy to disassemble.

Zudd
August 19, 2010, 10:10 PM
"I've developed an inch"

Wow...I didn't know liking a gun could do that. I might have to try that.

srkavanagh6621
August 20, 2010, 07:33 AM
haha an inch thats pretty impressive just from a gun!

Cawdor
August 20, 2010, 03:46 PM
haha an inch thats pretty impressive just from a gun!
"I've developed an inch"

Wow...I didn't know liking a gun could do that. I might have to try that.

You got me! Bad typing or proofreading. Take your choice.

srkavanagh6621
August 20, 2010, 06:37 PM
It happens to the best of us lol :) it was pretty funny though!

dwhitehorne
August 20, 2010, 06:49 PM
I like mine. I have about 1300 rounds through it now. I read a lot of the posts on the 556 forum and almost didn't order one. I have had mine about a year and haven't had any issues. Some people complain about the sig diopter sights and the cheap furniture. I think most of the complaints on the plastic were the older stocks. Honestly I never looked twice a a sig until they came out with the classic. FYI they ding the case mouth of every piece of brass. Also the area behind the ejection port looses its finish quickly. It is a little front heavy. About the same as a 20" HBAR I would say. I have a few AR's and an AK, but I love the sig. David

Here it is stock with a sparc
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/556/IMG_3180.jpg

I just painted the furniture green to see if I want to get it duracoated. Not sure if I like it yet.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/556/IMG_3482.jpg
This is what your ejection port will look like pretty quick. Finish has been gone and I covered it with grip tape. That wore off too, but I didn't buy it to look at it.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/556/sig556003-1.jpg

FoxtrotRomeo
August 20, 2010, 07:00 PM
I'd get one faster if it had a 1:9 or 1:8 twist rate. I like my cheap 62 grain ammo. :)

Otherwise it's right up my alley. I'm an AK fan and I like the AR too (building a 6.8 SPC to go along with my 5.56 carbine).

My 5.56 has 1:9 twist and shoots with pretty darn good accuracy. :)

Jermz1987
August 21, 2010, 03:13 AM
Just picked this up 2 days ago for 650 from a buddy. I love it so far. It has a little play around the hand guard and receiver. Not much, I actually hear that its quite normal for the 556 to have some jiggle. I ordered the Accu Wedge, Which Sig says gets rid of it.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/jermz999/Picture026-1.jpg

Steve1973
August 25, 2010, 03:53 PM
I am waiting for the SIG 516 to be in the stores. There is a delay here in Columbus, OH.

Anyhow, how is Sig's customer service? I want to make sure that they take care of me if a problem should ever arise.

Are they good about servicing firearms that are no longer in production?

I'm comparing the SIg-516 to Ruger's SR-556. Hope the SIG-516 has the extended rails like the SR-556.

Destructo6
August 25, 2010, 04:54 PM
Anyhow, how is Sig's customer service? I want to make sure that they take care of me if a problem should ever arise.

Are they good about servicing firearms that are no longer in production?
Like I said, I have one of the older SIG 556s with the M4 stock, which they no longer offer. It's a couple of years old. Kinda wish I had the Classic style lower...anyway,

The rubber dust boot (lips?) behind the ejection port started to tear not long ago. I contacted SIG, who requested some information and some pictures of the problem area and had me ship it to them to have a new dust boot riveted in place and installed a straight charging handle at no charge. I had it back about a week and a half later.

That's pretty good service in my book.

Jermz1987
August 26, 2010, 02:30 AM
Is there a reason why they don't offer it anymore with the M4 stock. I looked on the website when I first got my rifle and couldn't find it.