PDA

View Full Version : Guys...There is about to be a gunfight!

Doc Hoy
August 18, 2010, 03:45 AM
Someone on http://blackpowdersmoke.com/forum/ asked the group, "Should I buy an 1858 Remington or an 1860 Colt?"

Right now they are headed for their ammunition but it won't take long before the shootin starts. Might want to head on over.....This should be good.

Slowhand
August 18, 2010, 06:33 AM
Should be fun to watch.:)

Thanks for the heads up. Of course I joined up. Looks like an interesting place to hang out and pick up a few tips along the way.

Thanks for the post.

noelf2
August 18, 2010, 08:31 AM
"Should I buy an 1858 Remington or an 1860 Colt?"

I'm surprised that everyone interested in BP revolver shooting doesn't know the answer to that question yet !!! Correct answer is "YES". :cool:

Slowhand
August 18, 2010, 01:03 PM
:)
The debate between owners over whether the have a Remington or a Colt has been going on since the Civil War. Remington cut into Sam Colts Monopoly by half the price and of course what some debated as a better weapon. I of course own both a Remmie and some other Colts.

Here is a link to a great little presentation, with a bit of history, from the History Channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA6qlOTdD2A&feature=related

Doc Hoy
August 18, 2010, 01:38 PM
The crazy thing about it is that ninety five percent of the people here agree with you yet you can still get a war going on the issue.

What Fun!

Slowhand
August 18, 2010, 01:55 PM
:)
Doesn't take much to get things going. This debate isn't going to end any time soon. It's like playing Xs and Os, the only way to really win is not to play.

Have a nice day.

ClemBert
August 18, 2010, 02:36 PM
Kind of a dumb question. He should already know that he should get a Ruger Old Army. :p

noelf2
August 18, 2010, 02:49 PM
He should already know that he should get a Ruger Old Army.

Yeah, if he wanted something that has no real place in history..... :barf::barf::D

ClemBert
August 18, 2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah, if he wanted something that has no real place in history

LOL, a factory original design that isn't meant to be a "knockoff" versus some Italian knockoffs that are only pretty close kind of like horseshoes and hand grenades. :D

Kewl...we can have our own war over here.....:D

p.s. you do know i'm funnin'? :p

shafter
August 18, 2010, 04:32 PM
Buy both! They're cheap enough

Smokin_Gun
August 18, 2010, 04:59 PM
If i can find the pics I have one that compares it to the 1861 Old Army Remimgton...all but thre round barrel looks alot like the Remington ROA...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/Revolvers/ROApair10.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Smokin_Gun/Revolvers/ROApair3.jpg
I'll find that pic of ther 1861 Rem Old Army and the SS ROA by Ruger...

ClemBert
August 18, 2010, 05:12 PM
Smokin_Gun, that is probably the best way to put it. That is, Best 20th Century original. Not to get too technical though it could be considered the best BP revolver original. Period.

The problem is that too many people for some reason do not acknowledge the years 1972 through 2009 as being "part of history". Albeit, it is a much more recent part of history. I think the naysayers would be better off specifying that the ROA is not a part of Old West history rather than say it isn't historically accurate. Because it is very historically accurate for the history period 1972 - 2010.

Besides, I like a good Colt or Remington reproduction as much as the next fella. :D

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/SyberTiger/Firearms/Colt%20Walker/Walker018.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/SyberTiger/Firearms/Remmie%201858/DSCN1321.jpg

p.s. My Walker and my 1858 both have attributes that are not historically accurate. They sure are purdy though.

noelf2
August 18, 2010, 05:21 PM
p.s. you do know i'm funnin'?

Sure I do. There's no way you could possibly believe what you were saying..;)

too many people for some reason do not acknowledge the years 1972 through ......

Didn't Ford make the Pinto back then too?

Actually, I'm not a naysayer. I like the ROA and wish I had one. A buddy of mine traded his off years ago and regrets it, but he actually took several deer with his. A fine piece of recent history, I tell ya! Oh, and I have the same case hardened remmy, and a target model remmy. Neither historically correct!

H.W. French
August 18, 2010, 07:18 PM
and Get Away!

sixgun67
August 18, 2010, 09:42 PM
Noelf2, I sure wish my state would allow a black powder pistol to hunt with:(. I'd be putting my revolvers to good use.

On another note, unless we have an original revolver, we are only shooting a 'copy' of an historical arm. Which to me, is about the same as shooting a non-historically correct arm;).

Sgt.Saputo
August 18, 2010, 09:50 PM
On another note, unless we have an original revolver, we are only shooting a 'copy' of an historical arm. Which to me, is about the same as shooting a non-historically correct arm.

Maybe, but I really don't want to spend $1,000 on a revolver to go out and shoot when I could get a copy for $450. Sure it's value isn't much good, but it still shoots all the same (assuming you get a quality copy that isn't made in China :D).

Sgt.Saputo
August 19, 2010, 12:39 AM
You know I retract that statement..... I decided to save the extra and get a true Colt, I feel it will mean more to me :).

bedbugbilly
August 19, 2010, 06:01 PM
Boy . . . all this controversy! Makes a guy's head spin! As one of you stated in regards to a '58 Remy or a '60 Colt . . . . the answer is "yes". A guy ought to have one of each! I;m kind of fond of the '51 Navy myself.

And to those who are constantly talking about the authenticity of the Ruger OA . . . . I don't have one so I wouldn't know. But to quote a friend of mine . . . . . "If they'd of had 'em, they'd of used 'em". But then I'm a thinkin' that maybe he just used that phrase as an excuse to buy one? Oh heck! I don't know what I'm even talking about so I'll just shut up! :D

Doc Hoy
August 20, 2010, 06:38 AM
:DI knew I could get you guys going:D simply by telling you there is a war on over at BPF.:D

ClemBert
August 20, 2010, 09:00 AM
Doc,

LOL...I'd like to think that I had a small hand in it too with this statement: Kind of a dumb question. He should already know that he should get a Ruger Old Army.

Its funny how you can mention a ROA without saying anything negative about the old west style guns. Hehehehehehehehehe. Too easy. :D

Doc Hoy
August 20, 2010, 09:25 AM
I am always happy for the opprotunity to stop and think about how much I like every revolver I own.

sixgun67
August 20, 2010, 09:33 AM
Same here, I love'm all.

noelf2
August 20, 2010, 10:36 AM
Well I guess you can say we are all in violent agreement.. :D:D

I guess the only certainty is that if you ain't shooting real BP in those revolvers, you just ain't shooting. Kinda wasting your time (here we go again..:eek:)

bedbugbilly
August 20, 2010, 05:24 PM
noelf - you mean you guys actually use real black powder??? And all thes years I've been using talcum powder!!!! Kinda slow on ignition but I get a big cloud of smoke when it finally goes off! :D:D But enough of that! I want to hear about Doc's new pistol when he gets it - the photos of it made me drool . . . . . . :)

Doc Hoy
August 20, 2010, 05:29 PM
And also thanks to Denster for making it available for what I consider to be a good price. At that price the pistol would have gone fairly quickly. I am happy that I read the posts often.

This will be my first Dragoon and I will probably be looking for hints to make the loading lever stay put.

I can tell you this....It won't be "unfired in box" for very long.

I am going to give my neighbors something to complain about.

denster
August 20, 2010, 05:50 PM
Doc. You are welcome. Hope you enjoy it. Don't know if the lever will drop as I never fired it. It seems to lock into place pretty firmly. The pretty much accepted fix if it doesn't is to make the angle on the catch hook a bit more abrubt. If you search the Walker club thread over on the high road forum there is a pic posted of how to do it.

Hawg
August 22, 2010, 03:33 AM
"If they'd of had 'em, they'd of used 'em"

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt.:D

Win_94
August 22, 2010, 04:03 AM

Shouldn't the question be, "Should I buy a Pietta or an Uberti?" :p

Doc Hoy
August 22, 2010, 06:36 AM
Here we go again.....

Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water.

Fingers McGee
August 22, 2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:

Shouldn't the question be, "Should I buy a Pietta or an Uberti?"

The correct answer to both questions is "YES, at least one of each"

denster
August 22, 2010, 01:38 PM
Fingers. Whose the slacker now. The correct answer is several of each.

Rifleman1776
August 22, 2010, 01:44 PM
I belong to woodworking and turning forums, a photo forum, a fishing forum and now, here.
These questions, "Should I get this or that?" always generate similar responses.
The direct response should just be: Make up your own mind! But we are too polite. :rolleyes: Or, maybe, we just like a good e-fight. ;)
Personally, I think the Colt's are beautiful and evoke nostalgia. The ones I owned, I couldn't hit a barn wall from the inside with them. Remingtons are good shooters. Ruger OA was the best.

Doc Hoy
August 22, 2010, 06:46 PM
I could not agree more with your assessments.