PDA

View Full Version : Need help taurus pt 1911

ray_rodriguez15
August 17, 2010, 08:27 PM
I have run into a problem and quite possibly purchased a TAURUS PT 1911 under the pretense of it being new when it may not have been.

My problem began when I took the gun to the range the first time and cycled 50 rounds thought it.( Although it may not be broken in but I cannot assume the reasons for its actions) The slide will not lock every time the last round its shot. Sometimes it locks and other times you when you reload you have to cock the gun and chamber a round manually. What could this be? Is my slide lock malfunctioning or could if have something to do with my factory mags? In addition to my slide problem the mags get overheaded and start to stick when trying to eject the mag to reload. You have to pull the mag in order remove it. Also when cleaning the pistol I would work the slide and almost every other time when I would release the slide the hammer would fall completely down what could cause this?

Any information is greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

James K
August 17, 2010, 10:46 PM
There seem to be a lot of problems with that pistol.

Failure to lock back can have several causes including a slide stop with an internal projection too short for the magazine follower to engage, or magazines with incorrect followers. You can check things out a bit by removing the slide and watching the magazines and slide stop work together.

I have never heard of magazines getting hot enough to expand even with a large number of rounds fired. I think the problem may relate to the above problem. The magazine follower may be jumping around the slide stop rather than engaging it and then hanging up on the slide stop when you try to remove it. Again, this can be checked out as described above.

If the hammer falls when the slide is released, or follows down, the sear or the hammer is defective, and the condition is very dangerous.

If this is a new gun, I would recommend you take it back where you bought it and either get another gun (you might be better to avoid Taurus) or have them return it to the factory. If you bought it privately or on the net, you can call Taurus' US service center (address and phone should be in the box) and ask about returning it for repairs. IIRC, Taurus does not pay for warranty returns (some US companies do), so you will have to pay $70 or so to send it back.

Jim

salvadore
August 18, 2010, 09:20 AM
My PT 1911 locks back perfectly with Colt and shooting star mags, the Taurus mags pretty much suck. My hammer will on occasion follow after dropping the slide. I was thinking of getting a stiffer main spring, the taurus spring seems to have less power than my light weight commander, but maybe Jim is right and its time to have someone look at it.

dsa1115
August 18, 2010, 09:24 AM
Your problem could easily be the result of the factory magazines. I'd suggest buying a Wilson or Chip McCormick 1911 magazine and see if your problem is solved. I've found the Wilson and Chip McCormick magazines are excellent, and often much much better than many supplied mags. If that doesn't solve the problem, send the gun back to Taurus.