PDA

View Full Version : Can a cut down 1100 barrel be threaded?

gotigers
August 16, 2010, 07:34 AM
Can a cut down 1100 barrel be threaded for chokes? I have a 28" that i want cut down to 22", but cyl bore may just not suit my needs. I would like it threaded. Is this possible. Or....would i be better off selling this barrel and buying a new 22" threaded barrel?

davecharles
August 16, 2010, 08:52 AM
Well the real answer is.... some can and others can't. I've cut off some Remington barrells (other manufacturers as well) to find the bore off center and the wall too thin one one side to thread. Many others I have done are nearly centered and can be threaded just fine. Good luck.
Dave

Scorch
August 16, 2010, 01:39 PM
Like davecharles said, there isn't just one answer.

* Older 1100 barrels are very thin, and there is not always enough metal to just bore/thread for chokes. These can sometimes be swaged out to allow for threading, but there are other issues that may prevent it (hard spots, out of round, off center, brazed ribs, barrel lugs, etc).

* Briley can thread for their thin choke tubes, but it will cost you the same or more than a new barrel.

* You could also have the shortened barrel backbored to give you a choke constriction, but finding a smith that can do it may be hard.

* Threaded 22" 1100 barrels are easy to find, and take easy-to-find choke tubes. Here's one (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=837364).

James K
August 16, 2010, 07:38 PM
They still make exterior chokes, which require turning down the barrel, but don't involve any threading. They also make a choke adapter that attaches to the barrel the same way (solder) but is threaded for interior choke tubes.

Jim

GunCat
August 16, 2010, 10:27 PM
Measure the outside diameter of your barrel at the spot you plan to cut it. An OD of at least .845” is required for 12 ga Rem-Choke tubes, .825” for Tru-Chokes, or .805” for Tru-Choke “Thinwall” tubes.

All these minimum diameters are based on the bore being concentric with the outside of the barrel. If the bore if found not to be concentric then your gunsmith will have to measure the actual barrel walls to determine if adequate thickness is there for safe threading..

gotigers
August 17, 2010, 06:59 AM
Scorch

* Threaded 22" 1100 barrels are easy to find, and take easy-to-find choke tubes. Here's one.

Yeah, i saw that. $229 is more than i want to spend. I only spent $310 on the 1100. A local smith would cut mine down and thread it for $110, but it just doesnt sound like the way i want to go.

I have a lead on a used 22" threaded barrel locally for $145. I will see it later this week. If it is in usable shape, i will get it. It is actuallyhard to find them used. I have been looking constantly online, calling local, etc for a week. I found this one and one online.