PDA

View Full Version : NIB Glock 22 project

notacop
August 15, 2010, 06:10 PM
So i have a friend who got me a great deal on a NIB glock 22. I was looking for something lighter than my other daily carry, a 5" ria fs tactical 1911. Also something for which i could find ammo easier and cheaper. Sorry about the pics lighting was off.

notacop
August 15, 2010, 06:22 PM
so that was the gun before any work. After about a week of ccing, i was ready to do what i had been planning for this gun. i wanted the long slide of the full size glock, but i wanted a more concealable grip. this is what i came up with. i will probably remove the finger grooves this weekend. I also plan on slightly "relaxing" the back strap and then subsequently stippling the grip. comment time:)

eviltravis
August 15, 2010, 06:58 PM
I can see where you undercut the grip there to recess the mag. What magazines are you using in it? Is it a model 23 mag?

Texas_XD
August 15, 2010, 07:15 PM
Looks that way, 23 grip size, that is. Nice work!

notacop
August 15, 2010, 07:37 PM
it uses the factory 23 mags. I recessed the mag because i wanted it to look like it came from the factory like that. Well, at least the way i thought the 23/19 should look. i just didnt want ti to look like i just hacksawed the butt off it. i might be removing the finger grooves tonight.

zulu45
August 15, 2010, 07:48 PM
I had a chance to fire notacop's 22. It's an amazing grip chop, and very comfortable. I'm going to get a G17 for him to chop for me. It'll be a nice frame to use with my 34's slide, too, so I can have plenty of options.

notacop
August 16, 2010, 12:51 AM
So i said i was gonna do it......and i did,, here ya go. let me know what you guys think.

notacop
August 17, 2010, 06:09 PM
now the next step is to try to add a small beavertail to the top of the backstrap. if anybody knows any good techniques let me know. if not i guess some research is in order.

notacop
August 19, 2010, 02:50 PM
SOOOOOOO GLAD I DID THIS. i made it about as large as i would want it. I am going to do some test firing and draw practice. i figured i could always continue to shape as i shoot so i can fine tune it to the exact shape and size i want. I really needed the beavertail because i removed ABOUT 4-6mm of material around the grip. This gave me a better higher grip but with my big hands that resulted in some pretty wicked slide bite. the beavertail brings the whole thing together :D

shooter_john
August 19, 2010, 03:15 PM
Can't say that I'm crazy about the stippling, but good work on the beavertail. I to have beavertailed all of my Glocks as well since I am vey prone to slide bite, and even have the scar to prove it. Good work on the chop as well.

thumbtack
August 19, 2010, 05:16 PM
Can you provide more details on how you did it?

notacop
August 19, 2010, 05:57 PM
shooter john: i know the stippling looks a little funky, i was trying to make the pattern a little more organic. i used a large round tip. after final finishing, the grip works exactly as intended. you actually get a better grip when your hand is wet.

Thumbtack: to chop the grip i removed the slide and inserted a 23 mag, i then removed material with a craft knife and sanding block ( to keep things level) from the front part of the grip. I simply did that until the mag would lock in just right. A quick note, while not necessary i did swap the followers from the 22 mags to the 23 mags. the 23 mag followers have slightly less material where they contact the slide stop. the swap gives a little more empty mag drop force.

notacop
August 21, 2010, 08:55 PM
Well the beavertail broke off, for real, i used a jb weld type product to construct it. after it cured i pounded this thing into the table.....nothing!!!. While at work last night i was walking around a counter and BARELY bumped into the the edge. I didnt even feel the bump. I just heard a tick where the beavertail fell off. Needless to say...Crap:mad:. Well ill try tomorrow. I really scuffed the area but this time im either going to insert some tiny metal pins into the rear of the receiver to act as a kind of re-bar or i will deeply stipple the contact area with a very small tip. And other suggestions would be greatly appreciated:confused: